1/64 sprint car build

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
sidewinder
bitProphet

1/64 sprint car build

Post by sidewinder »

OK, call me a hick, but I love dirt track racing. I live in Ohio so there is no shortage of Sprint Cars. The problem is how do you make a bit into an open wheel, tube framed monster? I think the solution just jumped out at me when I was looking at the Muscle Machines micros. So, here’s what I have so far>

Your basic Muscle Machines Micro RC:

Now we need Hosire tires:

...A little creative hacking:

Then a roll cage and hood:

And that's what I have for now; more to come soon. And just in case you wondering, I do have a place for the battery and board. It still needs the rough cuts cleaned up but I thought I'd go ahead and show the progress.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

That's totally cool! You gotta find a little head in a helmet to stick in there.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Alright! :-o Chassis hacking..... once you go there...There's no turning back. :lol:

Huhhh...waht happened to the front tire? DRemmel get away from ya? :-D
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Superfly wrote:
You gotta find a little head in a helmet to stick in there.
Actualy I was thinking something like that...the battery sits upright where the driver would sit, so, I was thinking of trying to make it look like a driver. I guess it will look like a very large driver (fat) but still I thought it might be worth a try.

ibjamn wrote:
Huhhh...waht happened to the front tire? DRemmel get away from ya?
Uh, well...yeah, that's exactly what happened. But as luck would have it I have some extra tires from an older attempt.

Now i just hope I took enough pictures so that I can re attach the wires to the right places. If everything works out well I have to make a dirt late model, a dirt modified, and I have a 67 camaro that will make a cool pro stock/ street stock. Then comes the scale Lakeville Speedway (my home track).
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Pork_Hunt
bitHood

Post by Pork_Hunt »

I hate to seem stupid, but what is the 1:1 version of this? Could someone post a link to some pictures of the 1:1?
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

fucken ferals have invaded!!! hog was right!! :-D

like dese:

use them googles conehead :lol:
i used to be cool
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

You have been missing out if you haven't watched real sprint cars, short wheel base, small, a ton of power pack into a cage.

If you want a real RC sprint these are awesome. http://www.wcm-corp.com/sprint-car-k1.htm Just throw in the radio gear and your good to go.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Damn Shaun, that is one cool Q-scale. We just got a quarter scale paved oval, about an hour's drive away. I was thinking of trying to build a Q-scale sprint...but at $1200 it would be nearly as cheap to buy one of these.

Shaun wrote:
You have been missing out if you haven't watched real sprint cars, short wheel base, small, a ton of power pack into a cage.
Amen brother Shaun. Here's a few examples:

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtZXGr8FoRk[/YouTube]

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nrHZOE2P0o[/YouTube]

And one kind of crazy track special event, it give you an idea of the power of these beast (850-900hp, 1320lbs):

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMYycbiX4xE[/YouTube]
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

OK, its far from done but the test fitting seems to be going well. The electronics will have to remain stock , well unless you count placement. I may swap the motor, but otherwise, I’ll just be reconnecting everything. I was going to paint and detail the body/wings myself but I love the Andy Hillenburg decals..so this one stays the way it looks in the Woo. I was afraid it was going to be way to heavy, but it seems only slightly heavier than the donor cars. The wings are plastic and I gutted as much metal as I could.

The board will be between the top of the cage and recede into the top wing. I have all of the nerf bars about ready to go but I may have to pass on headers since they would block the charging plug. I thought about trying to make an end on the plug side that would plug and unplug inorder to hide the plug. Damn, I don’t think I’ve ever typed plug that many times in a row before...not even when responding to a friend who told me he was coming out of the closet... you try to give advice but people take it so badly. Oh, I guess that’s another topic all together. Anyway, this is what I have so far.

MORE TO COME SOON.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

sidewinder wrote: ibjamn wrote:
Huhhh...waht happened to the front tire? DRemmel get away from ya?
Uh, well...yeah, that's exactly what happened. But as luck would have it I have some extra tires from an older attempt.
Yep. I recognised the frayed edges. Can you guess why I know that? :lol:

It's looking good, man.