Knight Rider lights

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
TypeZer0

Post by TypeZer0 »

that's a potentiometer and i think it's telling u to wire either the first or third pin (depending on which pin u connect to pin 7 of the 555 timer) into the middle pin. kinda forgot the explanation for it but i'm sure ph2t would be able to help us with that
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

noxorc wrote:cool. good job...

two questions..

where do you get the 6v from?
The 6V is the circuit voltage that was given with the schematic. It doesn't need to be this. I will be running it off 5V using a DCDC Converter. This will run off the standard 1.2V battery that's in the car. I will be using a very low power version of these IC's, the TLC555 and CD4017 chips which are both CMOS (meaning ultra-low power drain). In fact, the LEDs will drain more current than the IC's.
noxorc wrote:how do I interpret the black arrow going in the middle of the 500k resistor?
As Type said the 500k resistor is a potentiometer (or variable resistor) and the black arrow corresponds to the where you have turned the shaft and what resistance is there. In the video posted earlier you can see as I turn the pot (top middle of the screen) the LEDs cycle a lot faster. I'm toying with the idea of leaving this in the final circuit or doing away with it and putting a fixed resistor in it's place. I think variable speed would be cool though. It's a matter of space.

Also is the problem of turning it on & off. I hate having huge switches sticking out of my bit's but! I might just leave it on all the time........

This is a "spare time" project whilst I'm waiting for some more parts to arrive for my H-Bridge project.

ph2t.
Yagbols
bitGangsta'

Post by Yagbols »

Mang, if you get this rolling...why not make a couple a sell it? Im sure some peeps would want one. You guys got mad skilz!
Havok
OlD SkOoL
Location: I just moved to San Diego CA...wassup west coast peeps

Post by Havok »

I second that Yagbols.....I'd definitely buy one.....

I had the KR light in the grill of my old car....86 Buick Regal...looked tight....got like 20 tickets cuz the pigs said it resembled cop lights....I never paid them.....screw 'em...it was in MA and I'm up out of there :lol:
.....P.I.M.P. stands fo' put it in my pocket....
Say Word!
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

I've definately let the cat outofthabag with this one, lol! I'll see how I go homies..... Cost and time play into it a fair bit....

I just saw over at mikes mods you can get this for 20 pounds, get #$^!
That's like $33USD and $50AUS. I can make it for WAAAAAAY cheaper than that!

ph2t.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

ph2t wrote:I've definately let the cat outofthabag with this one, lol! I'll see how I go homies..... Cost and time play into it a fair bit....

I just saw over at mikes mods you can get this for 20 pounds, get #$^!
That's like $33USD and $50AUS. I can make it for WAAAAAAY cheaper than that!

ph2t.
It's a freakin rip off. The first time I saw the clip with the bit and it's lil strobe I was like damn, then I saw the price and I was like WTF. :x
As cool as this mod is it's nowhere near worth $33 plus shipping. I wonder how many if any mike has sold. :???:
Did you also check out the advanced light system?
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

sessiz wrote:Did you also check out the advanced light system?
Yeah, working on my own design for that. Again another rip off. I got indicators and brake lights working. The front lights dim untill you go forward. The break lights dim until you stop, then they're full brightness.. :smile:
Yagbols
bitGangsta'

Post by Yagbols »

Kewl PH! looks like you can whip up some mad lights for tha pimps! LOL hehehe....let us know mang we're here waiting like dogs in the back of a butchers shop.....pant! pant! heheehe.....woof! :eek:
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Alrighty then, after countless stuff ups and lots of useless pcb's now lying around the place, I have finally got the PCB design done for this mod. Also the pcb will fit on top of the RX pcb.

Here's a pic:

The pcb at the bottom right is the finished product. The two misfits at the top were my "better quality" stuff ups.... The black outline at the bottom left is what I used as the overlay to put the track desing onto the PCB.

Good (read: sad) stuff!

8)

ph2t.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Got issues as always with the pcb so I focused my attention on the front end....

Gotta say it's lookin good. :smile:

Here's some video

ph2t.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

that is lookin dope ph2t!
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Thanks man, I aim to please.... :smoking:
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

You had to add a vid didn't you ph2t? :sad:
Great friggen job. Look for my pm. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
Yagbols
bitGangsta'

Post by Yagbols »

Holy shiat mang! You've done it!!! How does it work? will the chassis still fit? What batt does it use? you da man PH!
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Damn dude... That's fuckin perfect.. Bloody brilliant I say...

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein