Knight Rider lights

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Yagbols wrote:Holy shiat mang! You've done it!!! How does it work? will the chassis still fit? What batt does it use? you da man PH!
Not quite done yet homie. If you look at the video you will notice a bit fat-arse cable coming out tha back. This then connects to the proto board I posted earlier in this thread.

The goal is for it to all fit under the shell. The circuit runs off the same battery as the car, although if you want you *could* run it off a 3V lithium (eg CR3202) battery. I don't know if the batt AND kitt lights PCB would both fit under the sell.

As to how does it work? That's a bit more complicated. There is a chip that counts off/on/off/on/off/on repeatedly. This is called a square-wave oscillator. The oscillator then drives the other chip in the circuit the 4017. This is a decade counter that effectively counts to 9 then goes back to 0 (0 -> 9 is ten numbers, hence the meaning decade). The LEDS run off this counter. So the first left -> right sweep is 0 -> 5. Then 6->9 is doubled up on the same LEDS in the opposite direction. This gives it the back and fwd effect. Look at the circuit on the first page of this thread and you will see what I mean.

I still gots me a bit to go on this till it's fully portable....

ph2t.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

I don't have enough to do... I gonna make one

off to find the ICs to build with.

-nox
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

That's the spirit..... :smile:

Just follow the schematic in the first page of this thread....

If your going to go SMD well then that's a whole other ball game.....

I'm waiting for some components to address the issues I've been having. You can read these issues in the "Knight Rider Lights" thread at ausmicro.com

cheers,

ph2t.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

the resistor after the 6 leds? is that a 330K ?
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

anyone got a 4017 in their pocket?
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

I got some spares, you wanna me to shippa soma? Normal package, not surface mount.

The resistor is a 330Ohm, not 330K. Colour code is Orange Orange Brown. (3 - 3 - x 10^1 = 330).

ph2t.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

:-D :-D :-D

FINALLY FINSHED!!!!

:-D :-D :-D

Here's the finished PCB:

Here's some video of the PCB in action: HERE

Here's the KITT2000 from Knight Industries:

Here's some video of the car in action with a very graphic and violent ending..... :sad:

VIDEO

Gotta crash now (1AM here)...

I will be making a limited amount of these for those who are interested. The only problem is they are not cheap ($30 USD inc shipping) and there will be a min 2 week turnaround. Sorry but it ain't the easiest to make, as you've seen in this thread. I wasn't going to do this but I thought that some pimps would appreciate..... Enjoy.

ph2t.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

man - the lights are just too cool!

great job ph2t!

I knew, soon as I saw the counter top, the ending was gonna hurt lol
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
W3rd

Post by W3rd »

damn man that some crazy stuff u got there and it musta took alotta skill to creat one of these. but theres one question i have, dose it fit on all bodies?? or just the skyline?
well neways amazing job
and looks great
:ak:-=]W3rd[=- l -=|Chinese Mafia|=-:ak:
Yagbols
bitGangsta'

Post by Yagbols »

My god PH, youve done it! (thunder clapping and lightning) I have a question...is it easy to install, or do we have to send you the car?
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

W3rd wrote:damn man that some crazy stuff u got there and it musta took alotta skill to creat one of these. but theres one question i have, dose it fit on all bodies?? or just the skyline?
well neways amazing job
and looks great
Thanks man. Any shell that has enough clearance should work. The Skyline shell works well. So should a gloria and bB I guess from what I've seen. Lower profile shells like an RX-7 wouldn't work. Also you need space in the grill to be able to mount the lights, again the skyline is suitable for this.

ph2t.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Yagbols wrote:My god PH, youve done it! (thunder clapping and lightning) I have a question...is it easy to install, or do we have to send you the car?
No need to send me a car man, it's quite easy to install. There is only two wires that you need to solder to the pcb for power, it runs off the car's battery no sweats. I also didn't notice a reduction in runtime but I'll do some more tests just to make sure.

You need to dremel out the front grill to be able to mount the lights, that's the only real modding you have to do.

An option is to run it off a small 1.5V watch battery, like the LR44 ones. I got one of these and it runs like a treat thanks to the 1.2V -> 5V DCDC converter on the KITT PCB. You could also run it off a 3V lithium but I think you would run out of space.

There is no switch to turn the lights off/on, it's on all the time. Even when on the charger! lol!

ph2t.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

ph2t wrote:I got some spares, you wanna me to shippa soma? Normal package, not surface mount.

The resistor is a 330Ohm, not 330K. Colour code is Orange Orange Brown. (3 - 3 - x 10^1 = 330).

ph2t.

Yes, please.
by the time I find one, I would have received one from you.
Send me a PM, if you need my addy and tell me the cost.
Do you take British Pound Stirling?

-nox
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

The man is called Ph2t.
he has hooked me up with what I need to finish.
the dude sent me two sets....not that I needed two, cause I aint gonna fudge it over.

But if all goes well, I'll make an extra.

-nox

off to get nervious.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

I'll post pictures tomorrow..

but it works... I have one issue with the back trace.

tight and easy... Thanks for the parts Ph2t.

-nox