smd soldering tips

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

smd soldering tips

Post by hogjowlz »

ok guys who have done mosfets already. what tools do you use?

http://www.perfectflite.com/Downloads/SMDProc.pdf
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

1) My soldering iron has the tip filed into a smaller cylinder, this helps.

3) I use a solder sucker (rubber bulb with teflon tip) to get all the solder 2way to leave the pad nice 'n clean.

3) I also use contact glue to hold the components in place before soldering them.

ph2t's major advice time

Don't overheat the solder pads on the @#$%% pcb. They will lift off the pcb very easily and then you're buggered 'cause it's damn near impossible to follow the fine track back and get enough surface area to be able to solder onto it.

I've found it's easier to cut the legs off the old transistors and remove the black body. Then reheat the solder pads and remove the legs. This way you heat up the pads for a less amount of time and have a less of a chance of lifting them off the pcb.

Can you dig it? I knew that you would......

ph2t.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

good idea man. my friend has an electric solder pump. its so much nicer than the wick or the spring loaded thing he has.

brilliant idea on the cutting off part. and i thought you sheepherders were only good at killing crocidiles and eating vegimite. :???:

thanks man
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

hogjowlz wrote:good idea man. my friend has an electric solder pump. its so much nicer than the wick or the spring loaded thing he has.
True, I've also taken my stanley knife to it and made the point sharper on that as well to allow it to get into really tight places. I wish I had an electric one, damn. Mine looks like a catheter for midgets....
hogjowlz wrote:brilliant idea on the cutting off part. and i thought you sheepherders were only good at killing crocidiles and eating vegimite. :???:
You can take the piss out of everything aussie, but NEVER fuck wit 'da vegimite, lol.

*big brown smiles*

ph2t.