Mosfet MOD PCB pics/diagrams

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Got a another PCB layout for ya's. Had this in my head, but i had to get more FEts to test it first.

This one covers Micro Speed, Charg n Go, and Precious, that I've confirmed, but I think this is the newer PCB layout that is coming in most clones now.

...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

The info for the original Zip Zap is on the German site

Umm.... :oops: what's the german site???
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

It's http://www.bitmod.tk/ I didn't see the zip zap PCB in the tutorials, you'll have to search the forums.

I'd take the time to figure the ZZ PCB, but as I said, I prefer to ditch that clunky thing for a PCB borrowed from cheap clones that I kill for parts. That gives you just enough room dual cell, and keep it looking clean under the PCB cover.
crazydave's Gallery
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

crazydave wrote: Image
Ok, I noticed that the FETs are rotated and jumpered. Let me ask something, what if I just replaced the FETs without rotating them, and jumpered their gates, like in the ZipZap SE mosfet mod? Would that work?
Last edited by Son_Gokou on Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Who cares, you will never try it regardless of the feedback you get.....
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I understand your frustration ph2t. :roll:

Hey chuckster...

Stop trying to take short cuts, take the time to actually understand what you're doing, instead of trying to outsmart everybody, and come up with a better way. Don't you think there's a reason we're flipping the FETs?
crazydave's Gallery
lovedoctor
bitPlaya'

Post by lovedoctor »

Sorry Pimps, stupid question time.

I've been lookin all over the site, but I can't find the answer.

The bottom line is I'm an electronics newbie. I've been trying to get answers to the following questions:

What does FET stand for?

What exactly is a FET? is it a transistor, resistor, relay, some combination thereof?

How does a FET modify the performance of the car? Does it affect range? Speed?

I don't expect I'll ever perform the mod myself. Just don't have the time to learn soldering technique, etc. I was just curious and what-not.

Thanks, pimps.

Props to the bigguns, :cool:

Love doc :D
He who will not reason is a biggot,
He who cannot is a fool,
He who dares not is a slave.
--Sir William Drummond
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

"FET" is the shortened slang word for "MOSFET"... Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor... Basically, all of the drive circuits on these cars are controlled through transistors... regular, run of the mill, low-grade transistors... People use MOSFETS as an upgrade, because they have a lower resistance than the stock transistors, and allow more current and voltage to reach the motor... getting the most out of ordinary motors AND allowing you to upgrade to "hotter" motors with higher current/voltage draw.

I think I got that right... maybe one of the uber-skilled gurus will be able to clarify/correct anything I may have wrong..

Amazingly, I'm an electronics newbie, too, but I'm totally fascinated with this shit, and ph2t is an excellent teacher.
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Post by cj »

Let me use water with my analogy. A FET or Transistor is like a valve you attach your water hose to. An water valve is basically a ball with a hole drilled in it to let water pass though. The larger the Valve the lager the hole or lower the resistance.
Imagine your Batteries are a Huge tank of water and you need to fill a 10,000 Gallon pool (motor). The wires from your tank to the FET(Valve) are like by default garden hose sized. the ones from your FET(Valve) to the pool(Motor) are the same size. If that was the stock set up you would know about how fast you would fill that pool. Now lets say we upgrade the Wire(hoses) and FET(valve) with say a Nelly. Now you have a Fire hose running from the Tank to the FET(valve) and a fire hose running from the FET(valve) to the Pool(Motor). With this way you could swim within the hour or so instead of a day or so.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

sounds good enough to be in the FAQ.

*hint hint - cough cough*
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
dcsk8terboy89

Post by dcsk8terboy89 »

Well, I wanted to do a mosfet, and i just cant figure the damn thing out.. I was wondering if i could get some simple schematics (what wires go where), and a simple tut on the mosfet mod.. I am confident in my soldering skills, but before i go off into unknown territory, i wanna get some help from the guys with experience. Any of you guys got some info i could use?
I do things like nobodies bitness.
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

dcsk8terboy89 wrote:Well, I wanted to do a mosfet, and i just cant figure the damn thing out.. I was wondering if i could get some simple schematics (what wires go where), and a simple tut on the mosfet mod.. I am confident in my soldering skills, but before i go off into unknown territory, i wanna get some help from the guys with experience. Any of you guys got some info i could use?
I hate to be this way, but fuck it... dude, there's a shitload of info around here on mosfet mods. Do a search or just browse through the weird science section. The diagrams in this thread are as good as it gets... if you can't figure it out from a little reading and these diagrams, I'd say you're screwed.

At least read enough to ask specific questions, but I guarantee they've been answered already. Of any mod, this one is probably the most covered on the site.

So yeah, here's some info you can use... have a look around before you ask such general questions.
Last edited by hue35 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
dcsk8terboy89

Post by dcsk8terboy89 »

Hm.. after looking in the most obvious places i found it. Sorry for being a ass man.
I do things like nobodies bitness.