I've got FETs in my SE!

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

viperdout wrote:
ph2t wrote:dude, microamps is known for fet mods 'cause he sells the service to other people, that's all. he didn't come up with the mod, the krauts did!
he did invent this new SE fetmod that he won't tell us about, hence all the discussion in this thread.

ph2t.
Who are they?
what are you talking about? your question is ambiguous at best....
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

Sorry, I should've been more specific. Who are the Krauts?
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

Hey crazydave, where do you by the FETS? And what is "stacking"?? I'm not much of a PCB board guru like ph2t and micro_amps, and I don't know what H-bridges are, can this be cleared up? Thanks pimp!
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

viperdout wrote:Sorry, I should've been more specific. Who are the Krauts?
Sorry mate, missed this question. The Krauts are the germans. It's a slack way of saying the germans.... Back a few pages are the links to the zzse fet mod that microsash did.....The one we're trying to improve upon. Although I haven't really done that much work on it lately, just been too slack......

ph2t.
Cheesehead
bitPlaya'

Post by Cheesehead »

Could someone tell me where to put the @#$#@$ FET's? I might know where to got some cheap Mosfets if you need them. Try Digikey or goldmine-elec.com. Allelectronics.com is good too.
Hmm....I wonder if these things would stand an N20 and a Lithium cell...
Lithiums are great!
Triple the speed...
four times the duration....
And they explode if you crash them too hard!
GWS 4 EVR
-my future car's bumper vanity plate
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

Guys! Guys! I found a link at TinyRC, cyborgzero shared his mosfet tutorial with us. Maybe you guys (crazydave, ph2t, etc etc) can use this to your advantage and share it with us!

http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php ... adid=18050
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Son_Gokou wrote:Guys! Guys! I found a link at TinyRC, cyborgzero shared his mosfet tutorial with us. Maybe you guys (crazydave, ph2t, etc etc) can use this to your advantage and share it with us!

That's a steering mod... nice enthusiasm though. Get ya some pom poms and you're set.
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

hue35 wrote:
Son_Gokou wrote:Guys! Guys! I found a link at TinyRC, cyborgzero shared his mosfet tutorial with us. Maybe you guys (crazydave, ph2t, etc etc) can use this to your advantage and share it with us!

That's a steering mod... nice enthusiasm though. Get ya some pom poms and you're set.
LMFAO!!! Classic......(I think???)

Seriously, if you scroll down farther, you'll see the pic for the mosfet mod. :-)
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

No seriously, Son Gokou is not BSing. There is good info there.

Well crap, I have the worst backache, a headache, and a friggin' stomach virus right now. I'm dying to try it, but I know it's gonna be best for me to wait. This sucks.

**EDIT: Suddenly I feel much better, well I still feel like crap, but I'm in a good ol' mood now.

Tried it, and it worked just as advertised.

Since I already had the FETs in and all stacked up, all I did was pop the resistor, and add the jumper. Really, it was pretty simple.

The results aren't quite as jaw dropping as a FET modded bit, but it is a vast improvement, even compared to a stock non-SE Zip Zap. Part of that could be due to the extra weight of the SE as micro_amps had pointed out.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

Whoopee! Finally, I have something to contribute to this forum.

Before I start off, let me thank cyborgzero for figuring out this method, it wasn't my idea, I'm just taking his tutie and making a guide for it.

Now, as ph2t showed us in this page: http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... c&start=45

These are the FETs to use alright, but let me point out one thing.

This picture shows the resistor that needs to be removed completely, and
put nothing there in it's place. The red circle shows the spot where one end of a seperate wire will be soldered. (Make sure the end of the wire is stripped, and the other end of the wire is stripped also, the rest will be insulated, thank you. :-) )

Now, this next pic shows where the other end of the wire will be soldered to.

Make sure of one thing: This MUST BE DONE with the exact FETs that ph2t used. If you do it with the transistors, you will fry them and your car will be a frickin turtle, not the rocket you want it to be.

Remember, this was cyborgzero's idea. This basically increases the turn-on of the FETs. You also may want to charge the battery as close as you can to it's peak capacity. :-)
I soldered a wire to the 3V output from the DCDC convertor on the PCB and manually touched the Gate pin on the (rev) n-chan fet and the bugger just screemed! So there was no wizardry here, just some plain old stuffin around. It is a good example of the power you can achieve from the fets if they were to be properly turned on.
Can you show us a tutorial and some pictures on how to do this, like how you did with the FETs? And how does it work in comparison to cyborg's method? Thanks "mate"! :smile:
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

ph2t wrote:
viperdout wrote:Sorry, I should've been more specific. Who are the Krauts?
Sorry mate, missed this question. The Krauts are the germans. It's a slack way of saying the germans.... Back a few pages are the links to the zzse fet mod that microsash did.....The one we're trying to improve upon. Although I haven't really done that much work on it lately, just been too slack......

ph2t.
love it... no PC problems in here...
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

cyborgzero and I were talking in AIM chat, and we came up with this.

You could stack the FETs if you wanted to, but it wouldn't help THAT much......maybe 5-10 percent at most. But, you need more voltage and power to turn these FETs on more, right? So, stack as many FETs as you want, then turn them on more with 1-3 more battery cells, you could run 6 volts through the thing, and with stacked FETs, the thing will fly! But, the SE will be fuckin obese like a sumo, so be prepared for some serious flippin. Idealy, you may want to use the SE for drag racing. ;)
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Son_Gokou wrote: Idealy, you may want to use the SE for drag racing. ;)
yeah.... um... :???:... PROPORTIONAL STEERING!!!!!

If I wanted to drag race, I'd stick my 4.2 in a freakin' KIT Racer!
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

Bird wrote:
Son_Gokou wrote: Idealy, you may want to use the SE for drag racing. ;)
yeah.... um... :???:... PROPORTIONAL STEERING!!!!!

If I wanted to drag race, I'd stick my 4.2 in a freakin' KIT Racer!
:shock:

Ok...What I meant was, the SE would be so fast, you might wanna leave the turning alone, or......*FLIP*

:edit: or you could just use hard/slick tires in the front, and reverse-gun the throttle to lose traction in the rear, then turn....whatever....
Last edited by Son_Gokou on Sat May 15, 2004 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

So where do we stand on the fets with the SE? I was just tellin cabo that I'm gonna have to take a 6 week tour around the states whippin asses with mine....lol

Buckle up fellas....

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein