I've got FETs in my SE!

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
mad_haxor

Post by mad_haxor »

cyborgzero wrote:Okay, first off, did anyone notice that the gate voltages for the steering is 1.2v?

There lies a hint in the steering circuits as to how to get higher gate voltages..

Also, too, there is NO ONE stopping you from running an extra FET stage run to the gate voltage of the H-bridge. ;)

Oh gee did I give it away? :-D

Rob
I may be wrong, but doesnt the steering use bjts instead of fets, unless they have been changed out. so then wouldnt that be base voltage instead of gate voltage?
"been pimpin since.... been pimpin since....been pimpin" (Babypowder)
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

mad_haxor wrote:
cyborgzero wrote:Okay, first off, did anyone notice that the gate voltages for the steering is 1.2v?

There lies a hint in the steering circuits as to how to get higher gate voltages..

Also, too, there is NO ONE stopping you from running an extra FET stage run to the gate voltage of the H-bridge. ;)

Oh gee did I give it away? :-D

Rob
I may be wrong, but doesnt the steering use bjts instead of fets, unless they have been changed out. so then wouldnt that be base voltage instead of gate voltage?
Well, since I have no degree, and I don't know what I'm doing really, I had accidently FETed my steering. It seems the steering has 2 N-channels on the bottom, and 2 P-channels on the top, just like the throttle.

..and the thing about runnning an extra FET stage to the gate voltage was a vague idea that I had, but since I just mess with electronics, I really have no clue how I'd go about doing that. Maybe ph2t can help us out with that.

Well, I least I have a little more to work off of. I learned a lot from this experience, so I guess I'm gonna have to just keep learning, unless ph2t figures it for me.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
mad_haxor

Post by mad_haxor »

CD am I missing something here? are you also cyborgzero?
or am I misunderstanding your reply?
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

mad_haxor wrote:CD am I missing something here? are you also cyborgzero?
or am I misunderstanding your reply?
No no no, I am not cyborgzero. If I was I'd have my SE working right, apparently. :roll:

I'm the one that started this thread way back when. I had put FETs in my SE, and it only slightly improved it, and I don't understand why. Then micro_amps done figured it, and me and ph2t are jealous. Then cyborgzero comes along and rubs it in further, making me feel like a ditz because I don't have a formal education in electronics. I just take things apart, and see what it does.

...and that's what my comment was based on.
crazydave's Gallery
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

don't sell yourself short man, you have accomplished a lot! I was into electronics way before I went and got a degree, hell it was like 8 years before (yes my mates thought I was a nerd and they still do!).

Don't worry man we will figure it out, I still think this dude is just blowing bit of steam. He doesn't want to post the "hidden tricks" 'cause he's probably got none. And to say that he's got this degree and that experience is just egocentric bullshit.

don't worry homie, we'll get 'em!

ph2t.
mad_haxor

Post by mad_haxor »

I was just wondering, if cyborgzero has it all figured out, why he was referring to the gate voltage on the steering, when unless the steering has bjts and would not have a gate, unless they have been changed out with fets. thats just not a mistake that someone with a A.S. in electronic technology would usually make. at least not if they had the same instructors that i had. lol. but a fet driving the gates of the ones in the H-bridge will work, but it would take some calculations and experimenting.
mad_haxor

Post by mad_haxor »

Oh, and much respect to you two (ph2t and CD).
You two help a lot of people, and already done a lot with bits.
I am just getting started. I have seen quite a few cool mods you two have worked on. you both are a great credit to this hobby.
micromatch
bitGangsta'

Post by micromatch »

mad_haxor wrote:Oh, and much respect to you two (ph2t and CD).
You two help a lot of people, and already done a lot with bits.
I am just getting started. I have seen quite a few cool mods you two have worked on. you both are a great credit to this hobby.
W333333333333333333rd :cool:
is this thing on?
cyborgzero
bitHood

Post by cyborgzero »

Okay, i will just let it all go:

There are about 3 solutions to the problem, or *possible* solutions. I *have* messed around with a few, and some of them I like, and some of them I dislike because they limit the runtime too much:

1) raise the gate/source voltage on the N channels - There really doesn't seem to be a good way to do this unless you use another stage on the N chan hi fet, and then you can run into issues whereby you lose some of the proportionality where the N chan fet output rails itself. Look at the gate resistors: 151 (150 ohms) on the fwd, and 103 (1000 ohms) on the rev.. If you follow these up to their source you might be able to do something other than an extra stage by changing their sourcing voltages somehow, but I have good results already so I didn't go that far.

2) P channel current limiter resistor, labeled 102, reduce it to 500 - Find and reduce the P chan current limiter. As you should know by now, the path that the current takes is through one P chan and one N chan, so you have to fix THE WHOLE PATH.

3) P chan gate resistor 750 change to 250 - P chans are fed from the output stages of the N chans, so you can try changing these to 250. They have to swapped out in the same ratio with the P chan 102 to set the bias properly.

For those of you making disparaging comments, either say something nice or go screw yourself. ;)

I can see why Microamps bails out on you. You would prlly treat him like crap too, and he doesn't want the BS.

Simply look up H bridges, get a volt meter, turn the car to the OFF position, remove the motor, and start drawing what connnect to what by beeping out the wires. This H bridge has a crossover stage, the P chan gates aren't driven by the same signal as the N chan.

I honestly don't have time for much more, which is why I don't just TELL everyone.. As you can see, its a bit more involved than what you originally would have thought and takes some *outside the box* thinking. You can't just go after the first thing and think you are going to get good results, you have to keep at it and look at the entire system.

Besides, after working for 7 years at 6 jobs, each one ending in moving my job to China or ending in a big layoff, I am back in college, I own my own business and modify REAL cars for a living (engine building, head porting, machine work, etc), and make a decent living at that. But heres the thing: if I DON"T WORK I DON"T GET PAID THAT DAY, so I don't have DAYS OFF where I can take a bunch of time to tell you guys everything, because if I do, guess what? I DON"T EAT. This is literally just a hobby/game and I have alot of other things to do.

So with that note, I find it odd that I came in to HELP you, and all I got was a bunch of BS.

There are quite a bit of you that need to rethink your strategy on how you deal with ppl, because I can tell you with the attitude in here, not only will it get you nowhere, it will get you the backseat in your entire life if you don't deal with it effectively now, and eventually you will miss the ride completely if you tick off enough ppl.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Cyborgzero. I really do appreciate any info you can give us that would help us out, but your initial post came across with a superior air about it that had a certain, as Hue put it, "taunt the halfwit" air about it. You really lowered me, and made me feel like a dumbass that I haven't figured this out yet. I don't need that. I've done nothing but try to help people out.

I wasn't saying anything negative towards you, I was just expressing my discomfort with the attitude.

The BitPimps are the coolest bunch of guys on the net, that's why I made my home here in da hood. I guarantee if micro_amps produced his info he would only get the highest respect from the hood, but his own self admitted reason for hanging to the info is profit, and that's the straight up truth of the situation. So please don't turn it around to make us look bad.
crazydave's Gallery
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

I'm with crazydave, I appreciate the time you took to share some great information.

That said, the shit that was tossed your way was pretty damn mild. And the only reason it happened was that you busted into the 'hood like you were above everyone here. There's a wide range of talent here, and people are showing great shit every day... without a bunch of arrogance. From the git, you jumped in with all the answers, but it seemed you were going to keep them to yourself. That attitude kinda defeats the purpose of this place... have a lot of fun sharing ideas with some damn cool folks.
cyborgzero wrote:There are quite a bit of you that need to rethink your strategy on how you deal with ppl, because I can tell you with the attitude in here, not only will it get you nowhere, it will get you the backseat in your entire life... blah blah blah
You mean, like, a back seat to China?

It's funny as hell to me that you are so comfortable telling us how our people skills are worthless, and if we don't 'rethink our strategy' in that area, we're bound to become a bunch of losers in life. If your people skills are that outstanding, why have you had 6 jobs in 7 years? Sounds to me like you're the guy that's easy to let go or ship off to China. Usually, the really good ones are kept around. You remind me of The Simpsons character, Frank "Grimey" Grimes... a dude so preoccupied with figuring out how everybody else should be doin' their shit, that he couldn't see his own bitterness was killing him... then it did.

My favorite..
cyborgzero wrote:I DON"T WORK I DON"T GET PAID THAT DAY, so I don't have DAYS OFF where I can take a bunch of time to tell you guys everything, because if I do, guess what? I DON"T EAT. This is literally just a hobby/game and I have alot of other things to do.
Do you really think any of us are in a different position? Like we're 'professional little car drivers' or something? Sounds like you're livin' in the real world just like everyone else... except somehow you're blind to the 'everyone else' part. Hey, look at those people skills go.
cyborgzero
bitHood

Post by cyborgzero »

hue35 wrote: You mean, like, a back seat to China?
I am sure many ppl you know have someone in their family or know someone who has lost their jobs to the giant China migration. But, as you said, I guess they all just weren't good enough right? They DESERVE it right? Why don't you go and tell that to their faces? Sure, just in time for the holidays, what a treat!

Sorry, you can't stop an ENTIRE FACILITY closing. This happened, oh, 3 times out of the 6? The other times, it was ENTIRE DEPTs with mandates that EVERYONE connected with those projects be let go.

So, as usual, talking with half the facts..

So, care to lecture me on ppl skills?

I rest my case.

Rob
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

cyborgzero wrote:So, care to lecture me on ppl skills?
Not at all, man... you're the lecturer here. I'm just the asshole in the back row calling bullshit on your arrogance. I admit that was a cheap shot, but that was my intent... you've taken a dozen cheap shots and you don't seem to have a clue. Seriously dude, I don't wish bad job juju on anyone, but you can't walk into someones 'hood, talk at them as though they're a mile beneath you, and not expect some pushback.

Again, the big thinkin' is appreciated, but if I have to feel like a retard as payment... I'll pass.
cyborgzero
bitHood

Post by cyborgzero »

hue35 wrote:
cyborgzero wrote:So, care to lecture me on ppl skills?
Not at all, man... you're the lecturer here. I'm just the asshole in the back row calling bullshit on your arrogance. I admit that was a cheap shot, but that was my intent... you've taken a dozen cheap shots and you don't seem to have a clue. Seriously dude, I don't wish bad job juju on anyone, but you can't walk into someones 'hood, talk at them as though they're a mile beneath you, and not expect some pushback.

Again, the big thinkin' is appreciated, but if I have to feel like a retard as payment... I'll pass.
Well, being introduced in this thread as "turkey" sorta pissed me off to begin with.. PHt doesn't even frikken know me and is calling names behind my back?

Anyway....

Well the original idea was to let you guys know there was some hope to all of it..

I was still not satisfied with the mod myself and was hoping if I pointed someone in the right direction they might come across something good.. I purposely didn't want to lay it all out because I thought there might be something I was overlooking and someone might come across yet another improvement and if I spilled everything, they would do exactly what I had already done and there wouldn't be any improvements.

So, it wasn't to come off trying to make you feel stupid, it was to point you in a direction so you might be able to find your own solution and then we together might come up with something better..

Just being smart is only half the game in any endeavor. I know alot of very smart ppl who still overlook simple things, it can happen to anyone.

Basically I wanted to see if anyone could find anything else that might be possible..

Also, too, once again i just didnt' have time.

Believe me, if things don't pick up soon here in the country there won't be any job juju to worry about at all because there won't be any lol!

Rob
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Ain't no pimps needin' to be played in the name of science... that's just too damn complicated. It seems like you have a lot to offer in solving the problem at hand, and it will definitely not go unappreciated if you continue to lend your brain.