I've got FETs in my SE!

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

ahh, so you have run it through a sim? cool... we'll see what happens...

ph2t.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

I've just found this turkey over at MRCC selling the ZZSE fet mod:

http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/inde ... opic=18782

Basically it's the same as what we have done here already. He says though that if you doublestack all four fets (2*n-chan and 2*p-chan) then you do get a great speed increase. I've only stacked the n-chan fets (irlml2502) and not the p-chan ones (irlml6401). I'll give this a go this w/e and see what happens.

ph2t.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

take him to school ph2t
put the exlamation point on his learned words
you got tha skillz to pay da billz
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

ph2t wrote:I've just found this turkey over at MRCC selling the ZZSE fet mod:

Basically it's the same as what we have done here already. He says though that if you doublestack all four fets (2*n-chan and 2*p-chan) then you do get a great speed increase. I've only stacked the n-chan fets (irlml2502) and not the p-chan ones (irlml6401). I'll give this a go this w/e and see what happens.

ph2t.
He's just blowing steam.

Stacking my FETs only helped slightly. I triple stacked my N-channels, and I think by that point it wasn't doing anything. Getting the FETs in there is the main diff.

Now if we can just figure out how to get the full voltage from the battery hitting those FETs, we're in business
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

CaboWabo wrote:.......
you got tha skillz to pay da billz......
damn I love that song man! the world of ph2t according beastie boyz....

ph2t.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

crazydave wrote:

ph2t.
He's just blowing steam.

Stacking my FETs only helped slightly. I triple stacked my N-channels, and I think by that point it wasn't doing anything. Getting the FETs in there is the main diff.

Now if we can just figure out how to get the full voltage from the battery hitting those FETs, we're in business
That's what I'm thinking. If you look at the datasheet for the irlml2502 fet you will see this graph:

The resistance (Y axis) decreases as you apply more voltage (X axis) to the mosfet gate pin. In Bit's we're applying 3V, so from the graph you can see that the resistance becomes 0.035 Ohms. The SEZZ only puts 0.9V to the mosfet and you can see that the resistance isn't even graphed! you can see the curve is now approaching infinity hence the high resistance.......

class dissmissed!

ph2t.
cyborgzero
bitHood

Post by cyborgzero »

ph2t.
Er, thats not ALL i do BTW. ;) I am not going to give you ALL the goodies I do to it to get the speed increase..

I had to live through my ASET, 7 years of design experience, and now a Physics degree i am currently enrolled in. Figure it out yourself, turkey. :)

Rob
cyborgzero
bitHood

Post by cyborgzero »

My SE already can climb a 30 degree incline at near full speed with the tires spinning with the 3.4 NOS motor. Anymore power and it will cease to have a useful runtime.

But, you ARE right.. These things aren't even truly ON at the gate voltages, which is why I posted my notes with the gate voltages included.

But, with an H bridge, there are OTHER tricks you can do.. ;)

Rob
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

cyborgzero wrote:My SE already can climb a 30 degree incline at near full speed with the tires spinning with the 3.4 NOS motor. Anymore power and it will cease to have a useful runtime.

But, you ARE right.. These things aren't even truly ON at the gate voltages, which is why I posted my notes with the gate voltages included.

But, with an H bridge, there are OTHER tricks you can do.. ;)

Rob
Well if you gots some idea on the mod post em up pimp :)
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
cyborgzero
bitHood

Post by cyborgzero »

Okay, first off, did anyone notice that the gate voltages for the steering is 1.2v?

There lies a hint in the steering circuits as to how to get higher gate voltages..

Also, too, there is NO ONE stopping you from running an extra FET stage run to the gate voltage of the H-bridge. ;)

Oh gee did I give it away? :-D

Rob
cyborgzero
bitHood

Post by cyborgzero »

OR you could replace the fets with fets that have a lower RDS(on)

There are many ways to get what you want

Rob
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Hell, dude... sounds like you got it nailed from all directions. How about doin' it for reals, then postin' up a tutorial with pictures and diagrams. That way idiots like me can make an SE worth having, and you get to be an actual, true-to-life smarty pants and get mad respect from da hood.

Or, you can just keep throwing out your hypotheses (which I barely understand a word of) and "taunt the halfwits" with your brilliance and stuff.

Personally, I think you should do the tutorial. :wink:
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Post by SilentWolv »

hue35 wrote:.........can make an SE worth having, .....Personally, I think you should do the tutorial. :wink:
There'd be one appreciative pimp here man.
The secret to life is Raku
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

hue35 wrote:Hell, dude... sounds like you got it nailed from all directions. How about doin' it for reals, then postin' up a tutorial with pictures and diagrams. That way idiots like me can make an SE worth having, and you get to be an actual, true-to-life smarty pants and get mad respect from da hood.

Or, you can just keep throwing out your hypotheses (which I barely understand a word of) and "taunt the halfwits" with your brilliance and stuff.

Couldn't have put it any better. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

sessiz wrote:
hue35 wrote:Hell, dude... sounds like you got it nailed from all directions. How about doin' it for reals, then postin' up a tutorial with pictures and diagrams. That way idiots like me can make an SE worth having, and you get to be an actual, true-to-life smarty pants and get mad respect from da hood.

Couldn't have put it any better. :-)
I know.

I'm tellin ya, I'm gonna hire him as my personal post writer. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"