Enhance the lightkit on your ZZ SE

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
ph2t
bitPimp

Enhance the lightkit on your ZZ SE

Post by ph2t »

Hey fellas, being a zzse owner and all now :rockon: I was thinking of another fricken project to add to my list and that would enhance the functionality of the lights on the zz se. A few things come to mind like:

make the rear lights function like a real car, dim usually, go bright when stopped.

make reverse lights (white) that come on in reverse only.

front headlights stay on all the time (or just dim usually except when going fwd, they would be at full brightness then)

possibly do indicators, got a circuit for that somewhere......

Has anyone noticed how crap the headlights are on the SE's? I mean they point up into the air for frick's sake! If you put your SE near a wall you will see that the focal point for the headlights are about 5-6cm ABOVE the top of the car. This is the for Savannah anyways, dunno about the other models.... This "issue" needs fixing as well..

You're all probably going to say, "ph2t, stop fucking arond with this eye candy shit and get back to work on the fet mod..." Oh well. I asked for it I guess, lol............
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That a good idea having the taillights dim, and go bright when stopped. Kinda opposite of how I hear the Xmod works. Those are dim all the time, and go bright when going in the coinciding direction.

The headlight in my Savannah weren't too bad, they pointed straight ahead, and not at the road, but that din't matter because most the light leaked out the bottom. My mustang the LEDs poke right out the front of the body, and they just seem brighter, more focused that way, and alot more light coming out the front instead of the bottom.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

its brighter than the se lights and it is dim when idling. it turns off after about a minute of inactivity. the headlights get bright when in fwd or reverse. the tails get brighter only when you pull back to break. they are dim in reverse. one of the leds was not as thick as the others so i had to use testors glue to keep the tail lights in and i reglued the tail light covers. thats all ive had to do with it. it plugs in just like the se does but its a longer wire. i tried plugging the se lights into the xmod chassis and nothing..
plus dude its five bucks
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

crazydave wrote:That a good idea having the taillights dim, and go bright when stopped. Kinda opposite of how I hear the Xmod works. Those are dim all the time, and go bright when going in the coinciding direction.

The headlight in my Savannah weren't too bad, they pointed straight ahead, and not at the road, but that din't matter because most the light leaked out the bottom. My mustang the LEDs poke right out the front of the body, and they just seem brighter, more focused that way, and alot more light coming out the front instead of the bottom.
Must be a QA thing then. Mine are clearly pointing up. The area they sit in is pretty small (on the savannah) so I think I would need to file down the bezel on the led to enable them to point straight, possibly on a slight down angle, as real headlights are.....

ph2t.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

no shit, that is a good idea - dimming the lights, that'd be killer

yea my se's headlights aren't that great either, but whatever I don't know if I care - I've got better lol

:???: we need to be able to put on the high beams.
have em dim normally and juice em when you need to bust out the "move bitch, get out the way" lol
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
lovedoctor
bitPlaya'

Post by lovedoctor »

I haven't used an SE body on my SE in a long time.

I liked the lights at first, but now the reason I like them is that there is a steering wheel instead of push-buttons (still miffed about the unequal steering, though), an independent front suspension, and an on/off switch on the chassis.

I ride my Torrino with the 2F2F silver Nissan Skyline body on it. I did a "tab lowering" mod on the Skyline: you can cut a second tab slot in the front of the body (above the original slot) without changing the look of the front end, but the car is not driveable this way(unless you clear out the wheel wells and that's kind of self defeating, aint it?)--so I use the factory slot for driving.

Maybe if I'm truly bored, I'll try to pry the light kit off the Torrino and glue it to the skyline body--but only if I can get the lights to come out of one part of the car only: THE FRONT! :eek:

Anyone try using flat black modeling paint to black out the bottom of the SE lights so they don't shine under the body? :???:

Silla :-)

Love doc
He who will not reason is a biggot,
He who cannot is a fool,
He who dares not is a slave.
--Sir William Drummond
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

go check out my gallary, I've used thick black enamel paint to stop the lights from shining out anywhere but the front. Works well. Just make sure you seat/glue the leds in well first before painting it up. I used surface mount leds in all my light mods because the face of the led is flat and ensures that you won't have any issues with paint getting in between the led and the shell.

ph2t.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

if you wanna be more thorough then paint them silver or white then black. the silver/white will reflect any stray light forwards.
i used to be cool
lovedoctor
bitPlaya'

Post by lovedoctor »

Good ideals, all.

Thanks, pimps. :-)

Love doc :cool:
He who will not reason is a biggot,
He who cannot is a fool,
He who dares not is a slave.
--Sir William Drummond