Add two more TX/RX Channels to your LXX Bit

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
ph2t
bitPimp

Add two more TX/RX Channels to your LXX Bit

Post by ph2t »

Original credits go to Kamikaze and Microsash of http://www.bit-racer.de/ for the original idea, http://www.universalhost.de/html_bit/1moreTX.htm.

This mod basically gives shows you that there are two more channels available on the LXX bits. You can do with them what you want. This is not limited to LXX bits. Basically if your car/controller uses the 6C chipsets, that is TX6C in the controller and RX6C in the car then you can do this mod.

The LXX perfection series is a good series to start with because they have the TX/RX6C chipsets AND the controller already has an extra button not being used at all. This mod I have based on the LXX perfection series for this very reason.

From the datasheets for these chips you can get the pin for pin functional layouts. I have cirlced in red the two extra functions:

TX6C - In the Controller

RX6C - In the Car

Finding these pins is quite easy.

On the LXX transmitter PCB we look for pins 9 & 15. They are the pins circled in yellow.

On the LXX receiver PCB we look for pins 6 & 8. They are the pins circled in yellow.

To activate these two channels you need to short the input pins on the TX6C chip to ground/earth/neg, whatever you want to call it. When this happens there will be on output of 3V on the respective pin on the RX6C chip.

In an example of this mod (mainly for proof of concept) I am going use one of the channels to light up a blue LED. This is very simple application but the mod has many exciting opportunities for use....

So I'm going to use only one of the two extra functions available to me. First of all I want to wire up the extra button on the LXX perfection controller. All I need to do is solder two wires. No stuffing around with drilling holes, adding switches or anything....

Then I connect this button to one of the extra channels, in this case I'm using the function F1 channel on pin 15 of the TX6C chip. I connect it between pin 15 and the ground/earth ( in this case the -VE battery terminal).

On the car I've soldered a blue LED from pin 6 of the RX6C chip to ground/earth. There's no pic of this, it's pretty straight forward.

And here's an animated GIF showing that when I press this extra button now the LED on the car lights up.

Pretty cool huh? :)

This mod has many exciting applications and you'll see me utilising this mod a lot in the future. Now time to go off and buy 100 LXX perfection kits, lol......

ph2t.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Dude, that's cool. What a sweet way to control lights or other implements. Could you make a dual-celled car, and use it to switch from single cell to both cells? That would leave a boost car in the dust. Lots of possibilities.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Thanks man, yes you could use it to do that sort of thing. That's my point. This mod is more of a platform to do other mods on. By itself it's just an academic exercise but when it's used for something else, then hey, it's the real thing.

Some ideas for this mod could be:

turn on/off headlights, rearlights, etc....
switch between single and daul cells
turbo addon to add an extra cell ontop of a normal dual/single

I've got an idea for an insane turbo mod that will kick in an extra 3V (from a lithium batt) into an already daul celled booster just using this mod and a mosfet or two......coming soon.....

ph2t.
clxfiles
bitPlaya'

Post by clxfiles »

This is a PHAT ASS discovery dawg!!!! I mean you can use it for anything that activates with a pulse?? Like a horn or something??? Can you imagine runnin up on your friends car and BEEP...BEEP.... OR hook up the Camaro Highway patrol car with bekins and sirens.... "pull over you piece of $%#^" hahahaaa

Best uses:
Horn
Weapons - drop some oil in front of your friends
- mini pellet shooter
Mini battlebots anyone???

OK best one, take the guts out of a new cell phone and hook up the polyphonic ringer to this channel.... Roll up and start bumpin a polyphonic ringtone of 50 cent.... lol
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That is a really good find, but bad news for me, because now I have to buy some of those Perfection cars.

Oh well, I guess you can never have enough micros.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
maximan
bitThug
Location: toys r us exchanging ms pros boards for thunder charger boards

Post by maximan »

i their any reistence for this channel if their was no resitence it would make a crazy booster
if you can't see my car now wait until i hit the boost botton
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

well i'll be dipped in dogshit!! :eek:
i used to be cool
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

deaamn man!
you always come back and prove you're the shit when it comes to the electronics

excellent stuff there ph2t, that's one of the coolest things I've seen in sometime - shitloads of potental there - I love it.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
TMP
bitGangsta'

Post by TMP »

god damn! that opens up so many doors of opportunity, the horn thing sounded great. i used to have a little box that would prolly fit inside a bit. all it needed to make a little noise was a hot pulse wire. that would be awesome! beep beep!
The METALLIC Pimp.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

micro amps mentioned f1 is available on tomy booster pcb's, but not connected. i got ph2t to show me how to connect it and it's simple to do.
for the tomy controller, the same chip is used so wire up a switch to f1 as explained by ph2t. (and you can wire up f2 on a tomy tx which will control f2 on lxx booster rx's of the same frequency.)

in the pic below i've marked 5 solder pads with yellow dots which have nothing connected. i'm told the left 2 are for a resistor and the remaining 3 are for a transistor (any ideas as to exactly what sort?). solder a short piece of wire across the 2 pads which are circled in red.

so if you want to connect an led to f1, you would connect + to f1 (circled in red) and - to v- (GND)
if you're getting the red x treatment http://www.geocities.com/bettyksprivate ... terf1.html

it's only 1 extra channel but that's 1 more than none![/img]
i used to be cool
TMP
bitGangsta'

Post by TMP »

Adding turn signals would be interesting...
The METALLIC Pimp.
jevries

Post by jevries »

That trick sounds awasome! So as I understand you will end up with a 3 channel setup.
Can you tell me which types of micro RC cars carry the R6 chipset? Like I see a lot of different Lxx cars and before I buy one I want to make sure.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

lxx 2 speed cars have the exposed 6c chip and the tomy boosters. i'm not aware of any others that have it.
i used to be cool
jevries

Post by jevries »

My next question is:

Can you combine the extra channels with the already available functions? In other words I run the car forwards and press the extra button (lights) does the car stops functioning or only one of the 2 functions?

The reason I ask this because with the turbo function on Tincars you can't combine the extra added (turbo) channel with the exisiting ones at the same time as soon as you press the T-button while driving the car does nothing anymore. :?
TMP
bitGangsta'

Post by TMP »

nope, you can. ive seen a video and hes pushing the button while moving.
The METALLIC Pimp.