A sneak peak at my next project......

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
ph2t
bitPimp

A sneak peak at my next project......

Post by ph2t »

Bling, Bling!

The beauty is that this will run off the same 1.2V supply as the rest of the car. No extra batteries..... :???:

ph2t.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Nice dude... How will it affect the run time? Are the Light tinted or yellow leds?

silla :stickdance:
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

you gona have natedogg and warren g under the hood?
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

nice ph2t!
lookin great so far, the finished car is gonna look dope!

yea, give us some details. lol
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

They are yellow surface mount LED's. I wanted a design that didn't cut holes in the shell. I'm looking for white/blue surface mount LED's but my local electronics store is selling 6 of 'em for $16 AUS!!!!! @#^& rip off!

Sorry jowlz I have no idea what you're talkin about man.... :eek: ph2t.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

There is a chip on the RX pcb that converts 1.2V to 3V. It is what the RX2 chip uses to get its power from since the minimum operating voltage is 2.4V for these chips. I can use this chip to drive the LEDs....
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Looking good ph2t.
I lack the electronics knowledge to do this, and I won't pay much for it but you should ahve a go at this light mod -
http://www.bitcharg.co.uk/
Click on advance lights link on the left side of the page.

Nate dogg and warren g are "rap artists", I think one of em is snoop dogg's cousin. :cool:
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

now that's biatch!
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Payaso, forget to say that yes it will affect runtime since the lights will add extra current drain on top of the normal pcb, but with 150mAh+ cells and better chargers out there it shouldn't be an issue. The basic rule is the brighter the LEDs (mcd value, these leds are not that bright, only 20-40mcd, the blue 3mm ones go up to 1200mcd!!) the more current they'll suck.

Sessiz, yeh that light mod is from "mikes mods" page. A couple of us techies at ausmicro are trying to reverse engineer the thing to find out what makes it tick. I want to be able to do the same things but be able to source all the parts for it from a clone PCB. This is where the 1.2V -> 3V convertor is coming from. I tried using the 3V source that is on the pcb already but found that the current drain brought the voltage down to below 2.4V causing the RX2 chip to switch off. Using a seperate voltage converter chip from a clone shouln't affect the 3V rail that's on the pcb running the RX2 chip.... :smile:

ph2t.
ph2t
bitPimp

Creating Indicator lights

Post by ph2t »

Well I started pulling apart one of my clone PCB's to use the SMT stuff on there, including some transistors and some resistors. I had some other old Hard Disk circuit boards lying around so I ripped some SMT capacitors of them as well as some more resistors....

With all that farting around I made this.....

There's a bit there, you can see two great big caps at the front, then a couple of black rectangular transistors (ripped from the steering circuit on the RX pcb) and so on.... The two white clearlike things are the LED's.

Here's a side on picture to help go with the explanation....

As you can see it is built on ordinary vero board, nuthin' fancy...

It's small too. I want the circuitry to be able to fit in the roof of the car's shell. I've got a bit more to cram in though including on/off controll for headlights, control for left/right indicators, rear brake lights, etc, etc...

Shown next to a Bensu clone pcb for size comparison.

This is just the flasher circuit, when final it won't alternate the flashing of the indicators since only one indicator will be on for the turn you make, a bit to go yet.

Here's a video of said work.....

DivX 5.02 AVI 600KB

sleep now..... :-( :-( :-(

ph2t.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Very impressive dude... You're making me want lights now damnit...lol

silla :stickdance:
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

nate dogg and warren g = regulators

duh
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Well, I storta killed the LED flasher board that I had posted earlier in this thread so I went ahead and made a new one. I finally got off my but and completed the indicator lights.

Here's a pic of the final prototype: Can you spot the LED's?

FRONT

REAR

Here's all the crap I managed to stick under the RX-7 case...... A fair bit goes in there.

Basically the extra pcb I put in connects to V+ & V- of the RX pcb along with the BASE side of the Left and Right steering transistors.

Here's some video.

On the test bench

Night running 1

Night running 2

The LEDS aren't as bright as I'd like them to be, but I can fix that with some more development later.

Well stage 1 done, now for stages 2 and 3!!!!!!!!!!!

ph2t.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

Nice Project Ph2t. looks like you have been busy.

Solder Balls..

-nox
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Dats 'dem, dose ballz of STEEL! mutha@%^#&!
8-)

You'd like this nox, you've got an affiinity for transistors and lights.....