470 uF Capacitors On An R/C Battery Pack

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
MotorGong
bitNinja

470 uF Capacitors On An R/C Battery Pack

Post by MotorGong »

470 uF capacitors on a rechargeable 'c' sized battery pack?

Does this actually make a difference?
What kind of a difference? If so, these capacitors are cheap-cheap, so why wouldn't all battery packs have them?

I sped through some other forums, and even read up a little at the battery university thanks to betty.k's sticky. I'm still in the dark.
Any help or mentions would be great, as I need to get some batt packs pronto.
I'll tell ya guys why soon enough. :smile:
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

More info please; i.e. where you saw the pack with the cap and what it was intended for?

Prostitution may be the first profession but “padding the package” is the oldest sales gimmick.
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

:grin: lol. So true.

They're on E-Bay. Here's a listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

7-cell packs for an E-Maxx. Novak says their single EVX will handle 16.8v, and Traxxas advertises the whole 7-cell upgrade thing.
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Yep, skinning guy in tights, with unusually small equipment…
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Richard Simmons? LOL

Cool, thanks for the response. I might have been led astray and bought these.....think of yourself as an R/C Consumer Advocate!

I'll look for good quality matched 7-cell batt packs w/o the fluff.
Thanks again.
BattleField 2 Stats
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Um, looking at the sale page (below is a direct copy) I'm gonna have to go with Fullashit. 3000mAh, the pics show 3300mAh cells. 5 miniOhm, uh since when is mini- any kind of metric prefix? True 3000mah, um again pics show 3300's. more than 600 sec at 20A, max 30A; yet only 16g wires and Tamiya connectors?

Features:
* Powerizer(TM) Ultra high 3000mAh Capacity Means Long Run Time! Specially design for RC Racing Vehicles.
* Only 5 mini Ohm inner Resistance Per single cell.
* 8.4V - 7 High Quality Sub C Size Matched Cells.
* True 3000mah Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) Pack.
* Last up to twice as long as ordinary rechargeable batteries.
* 470 uF capacitors are built to accelerating faster and leave your competitor behind.
* More than 600 seconds at 20 amp discharge rate.
* Maximum 30 amp Rate to Turbo the Speed.
* 16 gauge High Quality General Silicone Wire with Standard Tamiya Connector.
* Tons of highly-recommended feedbacks from our over 100K customers.
* High Quality guaranteed!!!

I'm not positive about the caps, but I see no way that they would help you. Even if they did, they're only 470 uF so it's not really that much more punch. If you're gonna sell "performance" packs, why use something as lossy as the Tamiya plugs? It's like running an Unlimited Class dragster engine in your car with the stock exhaust.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Thanks for the input!

I e-mailed the seller Wednesday about the confusion between pics and descriptions. He states (paraphrased) "the actual e-bay listing description and brand of batteries in big pic is what I'll get."

All he sells is batteries, and he has a 99.3% positive rating after 34819 exchanges. So, I thought I'd give it a shot. I hear ya on the fullashit :grin: opinion, and am glad you guys stopped me.

BIG EDIT: Ya know, part of the problem is I'm real busy lately. Couple that with a pretty good lazy streak and add a dash or two of procrastination, and...well....that's me. :-) I just realized I'm trying to get out of making batt packs myself. Finding some great quality matched cells and doing this myself would be a great project. I haven't done a cost comparison. :???:

I was a bit distraught about buying 6-cell 7.2v batt packs at my LHS. Venom brand 7.2v 3600NiMH for $36.99 each? Sheeesh, I'll have to do some reasearch, maybe they're that good?!

I remember a thread here where pimps said batt packs and parts for a LHS is like cables and cases at a computer store. They don't make that much off of the stock R/C rigs, but get ya with the small stuff.
BattleField 2 Stats
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Shoot just using the words “Powerizer” and “performance” in the same sentence without a negative pretty makes me doubt either their honesty, IQ or both.

I mean there is nothing wrong with Powerizer cells as far as being the cheapest things on the surplus wholesale market, but come on a VW isn't a Porsche even if they are related.

Features: OK lets break them down.
* Powerizer(TM) Ultra high 3000mAh (3300 moron) Capacity Means Long Run Time! Yes it would if they where Intelect 4200 SC’s, IB4200’s, or how about Elite 4300’s Specially design for RC Racing Vehicles. Powerizer’s designed for RC in who’s wholesale dream world.
* Only 5 mini Ohm inner Resistance Per single cell. Ah a clue! Watson form this misquote I deduce that Mini Prick here quite possibly gets the cells from Batteryspace.com and furthermore does not know enough about electronics to correctly interpret their misspelling of the metric prefix “milli” in their statement “Single Cell Resistance <=5 Mili Ohm”
* 8.4V - 7 High Quality Sub C Size Matched Cells. Quality cough-cough Matched oh really?
* True 3000mah Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) Pack. Meaning true 3000mah or true NiMH, the options are a little slim here either again he’s an idiot since he’s selling 3300mAh or, well true NiMH as compared to what false NiMH?
* Last up to twice as long as ordinary rechargeable batteries. What and who’s ordinary batteries, twice as long as 1980 NiCad’s maybe.
* 470 uF capacitors are built to accelerating faster and leave your competitor behind. I get it now the capacitor itself explodes accelerating right off the truck leaving your competitors behind.
* More than 600 seconds at 20 amp discharge rate. Hm what’s he trying to say, lets see 3,300 milliamps per hour = 3.3 amps per 1,800 seconds or 1.1 amp per 600 seconds as another way to say 1C which would make a 20C discharge 22 amps in 600 seconds, oh yea I remember this idiot still thinks he is using ultra high capacity 3000 cells, of course I don’t suspect he’s ever tried it either.
* Maximum 30 amp Rate to Turbo the Speed. Well good old Battery Space does claim the Powerizer cells will support a 30 amp discharge but the whole “Turbo the Speed” bit I’m a little confused about.
* 16 gauge High Quality General Silicone Wire with Standard Tamiya Connector. High Quality “General” Silicone Wire, WTF is he talking about if the wire is silicone then it isn’t going to work, so he had to mean silicone insulated wire but then the “High Quality” would be canceled out by the term “General” which would mean generic or average in that context, or maybe General is the name of the company selling the wire?
* Tons of highly-recommended feedbacks from our over 100K customers. Feedback from highly recommend customers all weighing over 2,000 pounds, or is that 100K lb customers which are definitely some big mofo’s. But seriously BatterySpace.com’s 100,000+ satified clients could not be recommending these packs unless they where made by BatterySpace.com, and what about BS’s 200,000 dissatisfied clients?
* High Quality guaranteed!!! Finally what is meant by this statement? The quality smokes crack, or what? It definitely doesn’t say if you don’t like them I’ll refund your money plus shipping? Or maybe it’s that “High Quality General Silicone Wire.”

BTW I’m guessing that the seller is BS.com. They are one of my favorite spin-sites, implying much but saying very little when you break it down and read between the lines. Although they do have good deals on low cost batteries, as long as you don’t mind one not working now and again, and the service is good. Out of 60 AAA’s and 30 or so AA’s I only had 6 bad cells and the rest are still working as advertised, their not great and I certainly wouldn’t race with them but the bulk pricing was right. So I’m not actually putting them down, but Motel-6 ain’t the Ritz it’s just a convenient cheap place to stay.

MotorGong
Check out Cheapbatterypacks.com they're right across the border in Oregon, and have decent prices combined with great service. One thing that really does bug me about the listing is the implication that the cells are “matched” yes they could be in a loose interpretation, but I highly doubt that these packs will deliver anything more than average performance, if that.
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Hey, thanks for the connect LBRC! Right in Oregon, so it's fairly close to me. To buddy up with the owner of my new LHS, I ordered some batteries with him this time. He wanted the same thing I wanted, and said these were just great!

The GF has the camera at the moment, otherwise I'd shoot a photo of these batts and show ya. I'll wait 'till she comes home and edit it in. Reason being, the connections from battery to battery are like nothing I've seen before. Not that I've seen a lot, just saying.

I got Twin Race 7-cell hump "zapped" Fusion V2 GP3300 NiMH SuperPaxx.
No connectors, so I'm free to freshly solder Dean's plugs onto 'em. $119.99

I still haven't been around long enough to know myself whether I got a good deal or not. But you can bet in the future I'll order from Cheapbatterypacks.com if I'm still in the dark at all. :-)

BTW, the information you gave in your last post is invaluable to me.
Heck, you could charge someone for information/lessons like that. :grin:
I even did a little research with the killer info you spewed forth.
I appreciate tons! You too Frizzen!
:mrgreen:

EDIT: Here's a quick pic of one of the batt packs I just spoke of.....

BattleField 2 Stats