Lookin at the Core of the Core Lap Timer

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Lookin at the Core of the Core Lap Timer

Post by LBRC »

Was looking at the Core Timing system I have on loan from Apex and in general just being frustrated about Kyosho’s delay in producing the system, rumored prices of the Kyosho version, and very specifically about the transponders that I ordered, paid, for and have yet to receive. Anyway so I held one of the large transponders up to the light spying the Texas Instrument logo and Tag-It trademark, so I decided to go surfing and it didn’t take long to get a real eye-opener, basically it just doesn’t seem like it would be all that hard to make an RFID timing system, improving on the Core version while your at it.

http://www.ti.com/rfid/shtml/products.shtml

http://www.ti.com/rfid/docs/manuals/bro ... it_Bro.pdf

Looks like all you really need is a simple stand alone database with date/time entries down to 1/100th of a second or better, for example using Access developer. Why even bother with a coded transponder keep it cheep and simple with just the unique id so any old Tag-it transponder with the right frequency would work including the Core transponders, or that old lift ticket hanging off your jacket zipper for that matter.

Especially since the transponders are made to be disposable coming as self adhesive stickers on large rolls. The 24.2 mm diameter round transponder has some distinctly useful possibilities compared to the 22.5 x 38 mm rectangle Core offered as their small size.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Let me know when you get that figured out, I'll be your first customer. :-o

I too have been put off by the incredibly high price for what you are actually getting.