More MOSFET moddin stuff

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
micro_Amps

Post by micro_Amps »

Thanks ph2t,
re this...
so were they just blowing smoke up my ass?
not necessarily, these are just my findings at this stage. I measured the 'switch off' voltage several times and it is spot on 2.7v every time. Initially I thought I'd fried the pcb, but it just shuts down.
Id be interested to see the a 'super' dual celled, because of the reduction in chassis space.
Ask them what voltage they are charging at, and if the car works whilst on charge, and see what they say.
This is a minor issue anyway, my main concern right now is getting an SBCG fet modded, the lighter chassis fet modded WILL rock, its just a matter of getting a few things sorted out first. I have a few ideas, but until I can test them, they remain just that, ideas.
:) uA
micro fet mod, BCG, ZZ, website => MicroAmps homepage website
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

ph2t wrote:
crazydave wrote: ...and I'm baffled that you say they wont run on dual cells, there's been a couple people at TRC that have claimed to dual cell theirs, so were they just blowing smoke up my ass?
possibly, micro is very solid in his work CD, I've had many discussions with him on various electronic issue surrounding these cars.

ph2t.
Oh yeah, I trust micro_amps, he definately know his stuff. that's why I just wanted to clarify.

I know a bunch of people at TRC charge their dual cells by just wiring the 2 cells in the controller straight to the pad, it works, just takes longer to charge, so maybe that's why they're getting away with it. Time to head over to TRC, and ask some questions. ;)

Thanks again micro_amps. It's smart that you don't post your findings until your 100% sure. I'd rather do the same, but I'm just muddling through this, so I post what I'm up to so people like you and ph2t correct me when I'm wrong.

*** EDIT: This all got me thinking, and I just wanted to add. In organized racing, limits have to be set in order to create a level playing field. With the added frequency it would seem Tomy is aiming more at organized competition. Anyone else think that Tomy is purposely making these cars harder to mod, to prevent cheating in organized racing? 'Cause it would be too easy on the original to just slip one mosfet in, and have a cheater board that would be virtually undetectable.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"