4xAA Stepped-up 12v Power Supply

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
Namuna
bitPimp

4xAA Stepped-up 12v Power Supply

Post by Namuna »

With all the recent new cool R/C out (PicooZ, Micro-T, etc...) there's more and more need for charging smaller batteries. There's all kinds of different small chargers...But you still have to provide a 12v Power Supply to it.

Here's what I'm thinkin, people who actually have a clue about electronics please chime in on how plausible (or NOT plausible) it would be to setup...

This guy over at one18th hacked up his stock Micro-T charger and slapped an Apache Lipo charger in it: http://www.one18th.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46216 But in order to use NiMH AAs, you'd have to run 10 cells to provide 12v!! That's a pain in the ass to carry around!

I want to take that idea and go to the next level with it:
1. Start with an Apache 2030. It's very small and charges Lipo AND NiMH batts.
2. Setup a 4xAA battery case with some step-up electronics to put out 12v in order to feed the charger. I saw this cool DIY for a 2xAA altoids can USB charger for an iPod that utilizes step-up and thought the same principle could be applied to doing a 12v version:
http://www.instructables.com/id/EGBQJPLCB2EP287KTZ/
3. Put a pass-through in the 4xAA holder to allow using a wall-wart.

If there's already such an animal out there, please let me know (rather not re-invent the wheel here).

Thoughts, ideas, and so on welcome!

Post by Namuna »

So far I've found this DC/DC Converter that seems about perfect (4.7-7.5v input, 12v output @ 1.25A)...But the damned thing is $90 !!

Post by Namuna »

Another idea...

Use a chunky 11.1v Lipo Pack as a power supply. Should be able to find some nice deals on old, low discharge but still high capacity packs.
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

you can always use a 2-3ah lead acid battery for your needs, depending on what you want for weight. If you're flexible with the weight, then any Ah SLA will do.