Interesting new battery

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Interesting new battery

Post by SuperFly »

I can see a ton of uses in our world.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200708 ... DKVO0.html

Researchers Develop Bendable Battery

Aug 13, 6:24 PM (ET)

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID

(AP) This undated handout photo provided by the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the Proceedings of...

WASHINGTON (AP) - It's a battery that looks like a piece of paper and can be bent or twisted, trimmed with scissors or molded into any shape needed. While the battery is only a prototype a few inches square right now, the researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute who developed it have high hopes for it in electronics and other fields that need smaller, lighter power sources.
"We would like to scale this up to the point where you can imagine printing batteries like a newspaper. That would be the ultimate," Robert Linhardt a professor at the Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies at RPI said in a telephone interview.
The development is reported in this week's online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Unlike other batteries, Linhardt explained, it is an integrated device, not a combination of pieces.

The battery uses paper infused with an electrolyte and carbon nanotubes that are embedded in the paper. The carbon nanotubes form the electrodes, the paper is the separator and the electrolyte allows the current to flow.
Students at the school in Troy, N.Y., were the inspiration for the work, said Linhardt, whose students were working on methods to dissolve paper and cast it into membranes for use in dialysis machines.
Meanwhile, students of Pulickel Ajayan in RPI's materials science department were trying to make carbon nanotube composites using polymers.
The two groups got together and realized they could use paper instead of polymers and combine the two projects.
Then came Omkaram Nalamasu's students, also at RPI, who said the project - a thin sheet black on one side and white on the other - looked like an electrical device.
And over about 18 months, the groups developed the projects, into a battery, a capacitor, which stores electricity and a combination of the two.
Ajayan sees potential uses in combination with solar cells, perhaps layers of the paper batteries that could store the electricity generated until it is needed, he said in a telephone interview.
Perhaps it could be scaled up and shaped into something like a car door, offering moving electrical storage and power when needed.
That might be an expensive proposition, however, cautioned Peter Kofinas, an engineering professor at the University of Maryland.
"The advantage of a flexible device would be that you could roll it in a film or a sheet. However, carbon nanotubes are very expensive," said Kofinas, who was not involved in the research.
"So from the commercial standpoint, this would be very expensive if you want to make a large sheet out of this material," he said via e-mail. In addition, he said, "It does not look like it performs better than currently available batteries and supercapacitors in the market."
Because of its flexibility, however, it does have potential, Kofinas said.
The research was funded by the New York State Office of Science, Technology and Academic Research and the National Science Foundation.

sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Wow, the body could be the battery! Think how much weight you could cut.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

That reminds me of something else that's un-related - kind of...

Sony’s Flexible, Full-color OLED:
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDuP8PtDJbE[/YouTube]
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

OK now that's just cool...think of the t shirts you could make with buit in screens...pimp my shirt!
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Thats just awesome. :shock:

Both the battery and the screen!

So many possibilities. :???:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

new paintjob at the flick of a switch! :-o

animated paintjob :eek:
i used to be cool
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Play a movie on the side of your door! In the bed of your truck! the battery is also really bad ass. so many possibilities.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

How about cheerleaders with animated logos on their asses? Great for team spirit and it could relly pep up the national anthem. I salute those flags!
TheMechanic54
bitThug

Post by TheMechanic54 »

Yeah, a whole new meaning to the word BOOBTUBE :eek:
"I know you believe you understand what you think I
said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard
is not what I meant."
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

sidewinder wrote:How about cheerleaders with animated logos on their asses? I salute those flags!
Schwing.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'