A question about a Li po.

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

A question about a Li po.

Post by ibjamn »

Alrighty. I have had an unused detachable battery pack for an Audiovox Shuttle for a while now. (It's a portable DVD player that can be used in a car overhead system, a kitchen undercabinet system, or by it's on.)
I just recently bought a Triton 2 charger, so I can now look into getting into better battery solutions for my RC stuff.
It is rated on the case as a "Li-Ion Polymer" 7.4v 5000mah. I took the casing apart, and the 2 cells are actually attached to one side of the casing by glue or doublesided tape. I am a bit afraid of pulling on it too much and braking the inners of the cells. There is a circuit board in the casing also, but no external charging jacks, as it uses the screen (which I do not have) to attach any plugs to.

The question I have is, should I even try extracting the batteries from it and wire it up with some Dean's plugs? I know nothing of LIPOs. I have seen the prices of 5000mah li-po packs, and would rather save a buck by salvaging these. I was considering getting a casing of some sort, so I think I would be OK as far as safety is concerned --- I think..... :lol:

I would throw a pic up here of it disassembled, but my ex borrowed my camera once again. :roll:
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It sounds like a great idea but I have no idea of how to find out any of the answers short of tearing it apart and looking. I just did a bunch of surfing to see if I could find anyone who'd know. No luck, sorry.
Anyway, if you do this and it works please document it, it could be a great way to get cheap li-pos I'll bet there's a bunch in junk stuff that will be in thrift stores soon.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

nah, not worth it man. Batts like that look good but their discharge properties are way too low for our uses.

they're designed to deal with a low amp draw only. You can pretty much consider them a 2C or 4C pack.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

what do you want to use them in?
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.