Slot Cars!

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

I've raced HO, 32nd and 24th scale slot cars over the years. The HO guys are crazy, I couldn't believe what they did to them.

BTW: There was (maybe still is) a braid for the 24th scale tracks that is magnetic and the cars that ran on them used hi-powered magnets for holding the cars on in the corners. I never ran on one of those tracks but the reviews I read made it seem promising.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I have a ranger drag truck? I don't think I said that. I got the mustang cause they sent an s-dime. I'm going to get the s-dime and do something with it. I think I have a good plan with it doing a black base. To hard to explain you'll just have to wait :). I'm going to put a plate on the rear, It will be an Oklahoma plate.

Do you guys like

1bdpony (one bad pony)
or
Got Stang (Got Stang)

Is it possible to give something a dark look but still make it clear? I want to make the headlights and tail lights look like they are smoked.
1000+ post of BS.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

frizzen wrote:I'm not replying because: you bashed HO slotcars. you didn't post pics of the ranger drag truck.
I didn't really bash them. I have over 30 t-jets, I love 'em. I just like to really have the control and have to control them around corners. I don't run most of the T-jets, I just don't keep up maintenance on them. Most of them have a independent front end with aluminum cones and o-rings, I also put AJ's silicone tired on the back with aluminum double flanged hubs. Makes for a really nice set-up. Only thing I would like to do something different with, is the stock guide pins, they are shitty IMHO. About $25 with shipment and everything and have a nice car.

EDIT. Found a pic of my home track.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:I'm going to put a plate on the rear, It will be an Oklahoma plate.

Do you guys like

1bdpony (one bad pony)
or
Got Stang (Got Stang)
Niether, try doing something that hasn't been done to death.

Maybe try these.

AZZKIKR
SMOKED
URDSTED
COBRA
SST
TGV (Trey Grand Vistess= French for Very Great Speed)
BOSS16D (Boss Mustang 16D motor reference)
URHOSED
BIG DOG

Or for the Personal Touch

BDSPLLR
IDIOT
SHAUN 1
WLDTHNG

SHAUN wrote:Is it possible to give something a dark look but still make it clear? I want to make the headlights and tail lights look like they are smoked.
Parma Faskolor has a tint but I think you can use a thinned out very light coat of black or dark gray.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

BilboBaggins wrote: Parma Faskolor has a tint but I think you can use a thinned out very light coat of black or dark gray.
Meh, living in an apartment till we can fidn a house and sell our house. I'm not wanting to bring out the airbrush. I'll just leave 'em clear I can always do it later.
1000+ post of BS.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

SHAUN wrote:Is it possible to give something a dark look but still make it clear? I want to make the headlights and tail lights look like they are smoked.
Testors also makes a transparent black for window tinting. It comes in one of those 1/4 size rattle cans, so no need to bust out the airbrush. It's kind of tricky to use, because it really likes to pool up, so you sort of have to keep rotating the car in your hand for about 20 minutes until it dries. I used it on several bits in my gallery, but I bet it would be easier to use on a larger car.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I might just have to try that. So who can find me a straight on picture of a 94-98 billet mustang grille.
1000+ post of BS.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Well, a little update. I figured I'll post some pictures of the FCR and Bilbo helped me get the soldering stuff I needed to get going on building a chassis(thanks man).

First off the FCR

This is what got me started. I found the track when I was looking for a hobby shop. I figured we would go there for my B-day(December 26) and run some rentals. I never knew what I was getting myself into. I just couldn't resist and had to get the FCR last one he had in stock. I also got a $15 economy controller. My dream has just came true, my dad got a job in broken arrow not only closer to the slotcar track but its close to hobby shops race tracks anything you name it and it can be found here. I'm done with my life story, sorry you had to read all that. :lol:

The only mods I have done is changed the adjusta bushings around to my liking and I made the front wheels independent.

This is how I did the independent front end. It allows better cornering, This way I just take the screw out of the wheel against the washer so the wheels operate independently.

Here is the chassis I was working on. I dissembled all of it and rebuilt it, its alot stronger now. I shortened it to match the Thunderbird body.

My box. I have changed boxes 3 times and now I'm growing out of this one.

Normally has 3 cars sitting in it.

I really like the looks of this one.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

I would like to get a real box like most the guys have but if I'm going to spend $280 on a tool box this is what I want.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

How about $10 more (than the cheaper one) and get a roller cabinate too.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=94582
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

How about $10 more (than the cheaper one) and get a roller cabinate too.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=94582
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Personally I likes this style, slot car box. Kinda pricey but I love the wood construction.

Shaun, I found this on your favorite place (Craig's List) HO 1/24 1/32 Slot Car Pro Wooden Box SLOT CARS - $85

Or you can search eBay. Slotcar Pit Box
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Thanks for the links guys. I'm going to go see if I can find that one at harbor freight. I can use my other top chest for that cabinet. I have a really nice top chest my dad paid $400 for years ago when he was a machinist I think the thing is like $25 years old.

The only problem with the craigslist one is it is in Eastbay. Everyone does know how I love the craigslist. :lol:
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

When I was racing slotcars this is the size toolbox I was joking I needed.

Craftsman 56 in. 13-Drawer Mobile Tool Cart - Silver

Never got it, but it was fun to joke about.

If you plan on having a rolling box, make it a height that you are comfortable using as a pit space with room for Power Strip, Soldiering Iron and block to soldier on, Cooling Fan (a must for the higher class round-de-round racers and cooling the iron off after a day of soldiering), chassis jig (trust me, I never left for the track without it) and room for cool beverage and sandwiches/snacks and if you have one a adjustable power supply (great for breaking in motors.)

A folding chair/bar stool is good to have too. I've been to races at tracks with so little pit space I was sharing with friends (or soon to be friends) and sitting on the floor. Can do that anymore, bad knees.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

That's a great looking TC body! I'm not sure I'm all about the snorkle scoop hood though. What color are you going to paint it?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

frizzen wrote:That's a great looking TC body! I'm not sure I'm all about the snorkle scoop hood though. What color are you going to paint it?
I believe there are a couple of classes that require a blower scoop on the hood, Pro Mod comes to mind quickly.

Now imaging fitting a scoop like that on a 63 Rambler wagon body, yes I did try to run a Rambler Wagon in the Pro-Mod class years ago.