kicking my xmod up a notch

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
betty.k
bitPimp

kicking my xmod up a notch

Post by betty.k »

while i'm waiting for some parts i thought i'd take the opportunity to do some work on the xmod.
so far i've given the stage 2 heatsink a bit of a polish

and i've dropped a nelly in! i decided to go for the neatness factor and did some modding to the heatsink and pcb.
first, as the motor terminals are no longer used i decided to cut that section of the pcb out to allow the signal wires through.

and i cut away the section of heatsink where the fets were and where the wires now run.

i'll be dropping the s03 in it now that i have a fancy micro pinion puller :smile: . don't expect too much in the way of body work apart from lots of scrapes and scratches :-(
i used to be cool
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Damn you, betty!!! That is diabolical, man... I wish I had thought of that when we were installing 219s... I'm a total neat-freak, and that definately ups the "neatness of install" factor.

So... anyone who is planning to Woah Nellify their xmod... screw what I said about how to do it... Do it bettys way!
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i should add it's good to take your time with this, i managed to cut it with a coping saw blade while holding it in my hand, just be careful not to cut anything else. have a good look at both sides of the pcb so you know where to cut safely.

and xmod survival pack #1 arrived today, time to get busy!
i used to be cool
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

dont you get confused having to drive that thing from the left side?
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

look man, one day you're gonna push me too far. then i'ma comin' to shove a baby down ya throat and a dingo up your ass
i used to be cool
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

can you get the dingo through customs?
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

hogjowlz wrote:can you get the dingo through customs?
That's what SHE said... :lol:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i got it all together nicely, still with the st2 motor, but nelly gives it the torque it needed to make it a lotta fun! looks messy, i'll tidy it up once i finalise the motor, need to find a vice to use to get the pinion on.

i cut a bit off the front deck as the front shock arm thingies were rubbing on it. and i used some mini z rollshock springs on the rear, the red and yellow were too soft and the blue too hard.

this one's for you sg :-) (and you too cj!)
i used to be cool
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

is that a poisonous moth in front of it?

you dont have any really big gauges taken out of the body yet. get to work man.
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

betty.k wrote:i used some mini z rollshock springs on the rear, the red and yellow were too soft and the blue too hard.
Does that setup really help the handling that much? Yours is all banged up and dirty like mine and I'm wondering if you are running on the same type of surface as me...not so smooth parking lot.

BTW....the clear pics are appreciated.....oh yeah, and...nice nutz.
BOURBON TIME OUT!
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Great shot!! You caught that 'Roo in the air! :cool:

Lookin' good on the install there, I still gotta put my whole Nellied car back together. I was having problems with the motors and the reverse function.

I think I got a loose wire somewhere under the hood and I can't seem to keep the winding wires attached to the armature. They keep flying off, the solder won't hold. Ph2t said to remove some of the enamel on the wire at the solder point, I did that and they still won't stick very good.

BTW, don't bother with 7 cells, tried it and it sucked. However, 6 cells is still pretty fun with Nelly.

Mini-Z springs? Better? They fit? :???: ....hmmmm..... :???:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

yeah i'm driving on uneven, knuckle ripping concrete! but don't let that fool you, i'm confident i could trash a car in a padded cell :smile:

i honestly can't see myself going for more than 4 cells, i've learnt the hard way that too fast is just not fun
i used to be cool
lovedoctor
bitPlaya'

Post by lovedoctor »

Okay pimps, stupid question time.

Does polishing the heat sink really help that much with heat transfer? Or is it just for flossin wit da hood up?

Props, :cool:

Love Doc
He who will not reason is a biggot,
He who cannot is a fool,
He who dares not is a slave.
--Sir William Drummond
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Polishing the heatsink is just an easy way to up the "bling factor" a little bit... But, as crazydave said... it is a sure-fire way to let your competition know that you're putting in that little extra attention to detail that will be whippin' their ass... Well, not a direct quote, but he put it something like that lol.

I did mine a while back, and it is now dull again from being in a well-worn(read: I drive the shit outta the thing) ride, but it only takes a minute to get it blingy again whenever I have the car apart for service.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

polished heatsink. bling enhancement: 100%. performance enhancement: 1% (margin of error +/- 1%) :smile:

anyways, i got my fancy new micro pinion puller out and used a peice of machinery older than the combined ages of all the pimps to squish a pinion onto the s03. so compared to the stage 2's i get a good 30% increase in speed and a noticable increase in topend torque. bottom end torque, while improved is not as impressive as i thought it may be. i suspect it's a characteristic of the motor. but don't get me wrong, this puppy launches enough.
i used to be cool