Xmod range increase mod

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
Zenith
bitGangsta'

Post by Zenith »

I was wondering if the resistor for this mod has to be exactly 2.2 ohm, whether any resistor (of the same wattage rating) of lower than the stock impedance would work, and if a straight jumper across the resistor would do any damage.

I think I fried the transistors on my Evo, and I figured this would help out some with my newfound range issues.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Sod a dog

Jshwaa, who has a more than reasonable grasp of electronic theory, would recommend the best course of action, i.e. if a straight jump would have worked then he would have told him to jump, same with the resistor if soldering his precious first pubic hair would do a better job then that’s what the recommendation would have been regardless of the acquisition problems.

Extended range on the Tx will not make up for a receiver with no range for example a blown inductor, when you intentionally or even accidentally apply power to your antenna, easy to do in an Xmod, you will blow the inductors and consequently smoke just like Pee Wee Herman now it only works in limited situations.

However since a 1/8th watt resistor or pube for that matter may be difficult for some to locate you can sub a resistor with the same 2.2 ohm resistance value but more wattage, like a ¼ watt, it would just be bigger and may have trouble fitting in the small 1/8th watt hole, but then you can always force it.

:drinkin:
Zenith
bitGangsta'

Post by Zenith »

Thanks for the help :-o
Now I know it wont help my situation. At least I have an extra, fried evo board to pirate off of for the inductors.

So the 2.2 ohm resistor is what would work best? Would a 5ohm resistor work better than the 10(ish)ohm one in there right now.
91LudeSiT
bitHood

Post by 91LudeSiT »

Just listen to what we said and use the 2.2ohm, good to see other people are trying this and getting results like mine!
trekbikedude
bitThug

yea

Post by trekbikedude »

this thread should be made into a sticky it works extremely well. I saw an extreme increase in range. My xmod is actually parking lot top speedable now.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Forgive a stupid question... This thread is old, I want to make sure it's still a viable mod.

Is the Xmod TX the same for all, or were there different ones for the generations?

Will it work for the First Gen?
Will it work for the Evo Car?
Will it work for the Evo Truck?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

The EVO series has increased rance, so no need for this mod. Unless you want to. Even if you use a Gen1 controller, you get the same increased range ;)

Maxx