another project; resurrecting the 350Z

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
color0
bitPlaya'

another project; resurrecting the 350Z

Post by color0 »

she's been gone from the scene for a while... so she says she wants to make a comeback. and with some time and effort she'll be up to date with all the latest that's going on in the 1/28 world.

a preview of the sweet new shoes she's getting:

lots of work to do before that will run, i need to get ahold of some gpm cvd drives for the evo (nobody has them yet though...) and then mod the knuckle structure a little bit to use only one bearing per knuckle (less friction, less weight, drawback is a little more load on the bearing). then i cinch the retaining band of the cvd against the one bearing, slip on the wheels, slip on an xmod/Z wheel adapter on each wheel, and tighten the lugnuts down.

a note on the bodykit: i replaced the center section of the wbk skirts with the mild ones, and then trimmed off the rear of the fender flares to get that RE amemiya look. i'll do the same behind the front fenders, just have to power up the dremel.

after that, i haven't decided whether to make another RWD drifter or go the easy way and use AWD; it's much more profitable using AWD, but so far the evo AWD without gpm is rather tight, the rolling resistance is high. i might have to gpm the drivetrain... i could also just get the ball diff and cvd's and go RWD.

lipos are a far shot, and though another iwaver conversion is appealing, i'm wondering if i have the time and money to do it again. another month's work of soldering, mounting and gluing and re-gluing... we'll see. i don't plan on it for the near future.

for the near future, i'm going to finish up those wheels, lower it till it's as low as the impreza, change up the camber (3 degrees all around sound good?) and caster, and do minor work on the bodykit, including painting. gpm will be as limited as possible, just the knuckles, cvd's and ball diff(s).

comments wanted!
Greyscale Racing
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

oh, very nice. BTW, where'd you get the wheels from?
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

looks like those are the mini-z inch-up rims. am i right, color0?
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

yes... i'm looking for a local micromachinist who's willing to do work for me though, i was considering getting gpm cvd's to modify but they might not hold under power. gpm knuckles should be coming in due time though.
Greyscale Racing