Outlining

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
Namuna
bitPimp

Outlining

Post by Namuna »

What do you guys think about outlining cars, for a more ‘realistic’ look?

I recently picked up a 005 (.20mm) black marker and outlined a couple of ZZ bodies (ones I don’t give a crap about). I don’t know, I’m not particularly impressed but I’m not disappointed either.

What do you guys think about Outlining? I’ll post up some pics tonight.

Post by CaboWabo »

personally, I'm not huge on it. but I've seen a few cars that actually do look good with it.
my personal preference is if it's used, it should be used sparingly. I don't think it looks good when every line is outlined, but sometimes things like tail-lights or hood vents look better with it.
guess it's really subjective.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Depending on t he color of the car I like it, but wouldn't do it w/ marker. I used a tecnique that I think Hugh tought me. Take testors black paint, delute it w/ thinner (I do approx 75% paint 25% thinner) and then get a bit on your smallest brush, let it run the lines and dry for a couple of seconds, then blot away the over flow. Keep on doing this till you get teh desired look.

Here is an example

Before
after

Course it's all due to personal taste, but I tend to preffer it.
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

I think that a strong opaque black is too much for most applications. Using a wash is way more subtle and looks a lot better than strong black. Also, the lighter the car, the lighter the wash should be... also, it should be tinted in the same color range. The idea is to emphasize a shadow color, not black.

If it's done right, it looks great... if it's just a "fill in the panel lines with black", I'd say leave it alone.... though the black will look great on darker colors.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Good stuff guys, thanks.
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

One thing that wasn't mentioned yet-

When you get your wash made, get a shitload on the brush , and just touch the tip of the brush to the edge of the body where the panel line runs off the edge of the car, or in a corner where panel lines cross. Capillary action will draw the thinned out wash down the panel line for you, so you don't have to risk wavy lines by trying to brush it in.