How could I mask it?

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

what sorta glue is elmers? is that a brand name?
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

What I think it is interesting here is the topic is masking materials. When I think the real problem is technique.

While a good masking material will give you a nice crisp line, be easier to work with around contours, and just generally make your life easier, I have used everything including cheap ass crap from the dollar store, and have got good results, and sometime bad too, but my point is, the biggest factor is your painting technique.

These two statement were my clues about his technique.
The paint always gets under it,and it ruins my whole work. And if I get the masking off,the already painted area under it,doesn't look like it should.
The first statement makes me think he's laying his coats too heavy. (Hey, don't feel bad, that's the worlds most common painting mistake) You want to lay thin coats at first. You should still be able to see through it after your first or even second coat. That helps seal the edges of the tape, then you can lay heavier, but not too heavy coats.

The second statement make think there is too much humidity where he's painting. You how when something is wet and cold on one side, and it warm out, you get condensation on the other side? Like a bottle of beer on a warm day. Well when you lay the coat too heavy, the tape is wet from the paint, and the propellant cools the paint, so it gets like condensation (of vapors) on the inside, ruining the previous paint.

Warming the can of paint in warm water, before spraying will also help you lay thinner coats.

Also rub the tape down with something hard and dull, like your fingernail or a toothpick. Make sure you get it into all the crevices.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

SuperFly wrote:I'll tell ya what my favorite masking material is for things like tail lights and headlights: Elmer's Glue. It has good surface tension so it pretty much stays where you put it, and it's easy to pick off with an xacto tip.
I just tried this on some headlights and it worked just fine. Sometimes tape just won't cut it! :?
Warming the can of paint in warm water, before spraying will also help you lay thinner coats.

Excellent Point Cavey! I always do this! :eek:
Also rub the tape down with something hard and dull, like your fingernail or a toothpick. Make sure you get it into all the crevices.
This is a MUST ! :)
You can also use liquid mask for those hard to seal areas. The shit works like a charm.
I tried this when I first started in this hobby. My results weren't too good so I opt'd for a different technique. My skilz have improved a lil so I may hefta revisit the liquid mask. Got a new jar just await'n 8)
betula66
bitHood

Post by betula66 »

So far I used a simple glue,that painters use to cover the areas that they don't wanna paint. Its a bit thick,but sometimes it works.
I need to get myself something fine.

Do you all paint with airbrush?
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Most of us are using spray cans (rattle cans)
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

betty.k wrote:what sorta glue is elmers? is that a brand name?
Yep ! Been around forever ! and I do mean foerever !!!

betula66
bitHood

Post by betula66 »

I already realized that my paint coating is too thick... :sad:
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

DarkTari wrote:Yep ! Been around forever ! and I do mean foerever !!!

American kids have been eating ever since I can remember. The huge tubs of paste tasted so much better.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

American kids have been eating ever since I can remember
So Tru ! HaHaHaHa :eek:
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

The huge tubs of paste tasted so much better.
We had mint Past when we were in school now what the hell were they thinking making mint past and they thought we would not eat it! Stupid bastages!! :lol: :lol:
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

steelwoolghandi wrote:Stupid bastages!! :lol: :lol:
Fargin' ice holes!
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Shoot in my mouth and call me Hoggy
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Finks wrote:Shoot in my mouth and call me Hoggy
:ak: Ok your Hoggy!!! :-)
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Finks wrote:Shoot in my mouth and call me Hoggy
That's what she said.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

hue35 wrote:
steelwoolghandi wrote:Stupid bastages!! :lol: :lol:
Fargin' ice holes!
Lousy cork-suckers.