How to build a Single Cab truck from Double Cab - ZZ

Learn how to chop a body properly, how to install alloy rims, and more. If it's about makin' it look good, it belongs here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Of the 2, I agree that cap is better. Though I think I'll do a bed, unless cap just looks better to everybody?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

sessiz wrote:I'ld say stick with a bed but if ya wanna do something "different" then do a camper. :lol:
Why not do both? :???:
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Why not do both?
yea, make them interchangeable or something... :-o
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Man, you guys... Always trying to make me do more work!

I put it onto a ZZ chassis just to see how it looked there. Better, though the camper is too tall. For some reason my ZZ-M's didn't seem to like that...
-
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I dunno, I've seen some pretty tall ass camper shells before.
I say go for that on that and the other on the other.
Clear as mud.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

It's been sitting here on my desk for too long without work, so I've decided at this stage to say AMF to both the cap and camper ideas, they may come back at a later date, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They sucked anyway.

Note: by going with a truck bed, it will NOT fit on a ZZ or ZZ-SE chassis, it will ONLY work on a ZZ-M. If I were doing it for either type car chassis, I could just slap a Tonnau cover on it, and move on.

Anyway, make cardboard templets of each side of the bed, get them fitting happily, transfer to styrene. For the best rear bulkhead, you should try filling the tailgate with putty, file smooth. I chose styrene again because it's faster, lighter, slightly easier, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. The front bulkhead of the bed should be set back slightly so it looks like there's actualy an end of the cab, and a start of the bed. If you're going to use a rollbar, it's less important, but I still would.

I'm going to be laying in the sides of the bed, but leave out the floor until body is painted. This way if I mess up and fog too heavy, it won't fill up the corners and look bad. The bed sides are about 0.040", and the floor will be credit card or thinner, so I can have it be a few thousandths deeper than on Desperado.

You might remember that I said the header panel on this one was going to be changed. The horizontal bar was shaved out of the grille, it's filed flush and filled in on the headlights. Headlights will be rescribed with higher bottom and lower top edges, probably going to put in outboard cornering lights. Grille will probably get either flat black, or a mesh insert, and have a "chrome" surround. With any luck, I'm hoping the whole effect will end up more like around a 2000 Ford F-150. I really have no idea how I'm going to change the front bumper cover around, but that'll be figured out once the body has paint squirted. Image Something like this.

The taillights were filed flush with the surrounding body work just because I always hated that bulgy look that GM is so fond of now. They'll just be painted clear red on the outside, with a silver behind the plastic.

I'm gonna be spending more time working on Halloween props, model cars and a few other things, so progress may slow a bit more.
-
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

wow... nice work you got there... but why the 2000 F-150? i think that this,

the sport trac if im not mistaken, would be easier to do, because of the squarish profile in the front, instead of the roundish one, and it would look more agressive, but thats just me. anyways, thats more than i can accomplish at the moment and great work as always. :-o

*edit* its not a sport trac, its an F-150 lightning...*edit*
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Because that was the first F-150 picture I found. I just wanted one that kinda matched the rounded-ish grille, and similar hood profile. So it couldn't be like the early 90's style, or whatever. The more squared headlights will be easier to do, and since I'm all about lazy...

:-o Good call!

Come on dude, I know you can do a mod like making one a single cab. All you need is THREAD, SuperGlue (CA), baking powder, and a file or sandpaper.

The Chebby to Ford conversion is just because I didn't want to have 2 modded chevy's running around. Completely optional. That Lightning you posted is making me wonder if this truck needs a cowl hood... :???:
-
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Come on dude, I know you can do a mod like making one a single cab. All you need is THREAD, SuperGlue (CA), baking powder, and a file or sandpaper.

yea, i know, im just lazy at the moment, and school work has got me busy too.. i know i can do it, but dont want to.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

So um, I didn't leave it sitting on my desk for a few weeks while I forgot about it... Nope, nope... Definately not that...

Ok, so I did more hacking on the front end, mostly opening up, little shaving... Biggest mods were air vents in the bumper cover, and cowl hood.

Side shot showing proportions. I think it looks about the right length for a Longbed truck. opinions?

I decided to go with a bed. Since somebody asked about how deep you could make it, I decided to try a "half bed" where the PCB cover is the floor in the front half, and styrene for the rear half. Depth (7/32"b) is better than it was on "Desperado" (where it varied from about 4/32 to 6/32).
-
Gotta make a rear window, little more work smoothing and filling, cut in Ford headlights, then squirt some paint, detail. Even though I have an engine, and it would look trick as hell in there, I'm not gonna open the hood. But I will be putting in an interior...
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

I hate that guy!!!

Post by frizzen »

God damn that looks like crap. You have absolutely no skills!!! Do the world a favor and just go step on that piece of shit. You're a fucking talentless hack.

Oh and hurry it the fuck up!!! The only thing worse than seeing a piece of shit like that'll be when done, is an unfinished one!
-
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Re: I hate that guy!!!

Post by steelwoolghandi »

frizzen wrote:God damn that looks like crap. You have absolutely no skills!!! Do the world a favor and just go step on that piece of shit. You're a fucking talentless hack.

Oh and hurry it the fuck up!!! The only thing worse than seeing a piece of shit like that'll be when done, is an unfinished one!
Ditto hurry up so we can see it in the end of the crap fest! :lol:
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Man I hate that guy!

I decided to shoot some paint at it. The final color doesn't lay down over black, so it's a satin silver. This is just a guide / base coat. And it's a rather crappy picture.

The paint didn't flow well at all, doesn't flow that well under 60 degrees. But it's smooth enough to be a guide coat.
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Behold!

Needs a little touchup, more detail....

But I think this pretty well shows it's possible and not all that hard to do.

-

SingleCab body with "Desperado"

Soon as I brighten it up a bit, I have a better comparison of SingleCab with a much more stock Silverado (built to clone a friend's ride for his b-day, just a simple repaint with a fiberglass tonnau instead of a riveted cloth one)
-
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Now that's just freaky... I painted my truck those exact same colors, although I ran out of the candy blue and had to repaint the entire thing black again...

As for the truck, its nice. I would sand down the grill some more so that it's smooth ( more than yours) but, thats just me, because if anything's wrong, even just a little bit out of place, I go nuts. (Ignore the rant). Is that an interior? :-o