My Zip Zap SE ,with kyosho inside.

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
sat4life27
bitPimp

My Zip Zap SE ,with kyosho inside.

Post by sat4life27 »

Hello fellow Pimps.... This is my first time here and was recommended by big pimpin LBRC to show you all my latest project car. It is a Zip Zap SE with a kyosho mr01 pcb. When I first saw LB's ZZMT with the iwaver pcb I was instantly amazed and full of ideas for a project of my own. I will post some pics from the different stages of the project from the first working prototype to the finished product here. I am working on a full write up on how to make your own.

This is a pic of when I got it installed and working. At this time I had a xmod servo pot fit inside because the SE's pot is a 10k and wouldn't work right with the pcb (later fixed by using a 10k resistor on the SE's pot). I had to trim off the drive motor tabs for it to fit over the chassis as good as possible.

This second pic is of the first revision I made with mounting the crystal on the side to allow a body to fit over the chassis, also added some shrink wrap to hold everything down.

The stock SE's antenna was working ok but I wanted more range (was getting about 10 to 15 feet) so I used a spare xmod antenna and bent it to go under the body so it would be easier to add and remove the body (range is anywhere from 20 to 25 feet now).

Now I upgraded the power source. I found some nimh button cells that was small enough to fit 4 (4.8v hehe) into the stock battery holder. The work very well but my runtime is decreased since the are only 40mah batts (after testing them I removed them until I can get some shrink wrap to make them a small pack).

Here is the pic of the final revision. I switched to a 2nd gen chassis (was in a 1st gen) and used the SE's servo pot with the resistor. Cleaned up the wiring

Hope you like and thanks again LB for your help...later pimps!!!
Last edited by sat4life27 on Sat May 07, 2005 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Helluva a first post, man. A little blurry on the pics, but it looks like it's a sweet ride. How does it drive?
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

ditto, what a first post!
welcome aboard man.

any chance we could get some better pics?
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Thanks Sat4 :-) , and welcome.
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Real Cool Deal I am amazed you can get that PCB to fit in there that looks great! Maybe you can get some clearer pictures as I would like to see more detail in that thing!
Thanks for sharing!
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Yes, a great first post.

...and I agree with the others on the pics.

Does the body fit on properly? :???:

Very interesting. The range on that must be far. :shock:
sat4life27
bitPimp

Post by sat4life27 »

Glad to be a part of the pimphood... as you can tell I couldn't make up my mind as to what wheels I wanted to use. I decided that Chevelle and the fatties was they way to go. I would say the handling is about that of a real mini-z, as far as the smoothness of the throttle and steering. It's turning radius is about the same as a regular SE (due to the chassis design but if you trim the steering rod it will turn until the wheels hit the chassis. The runtime with the stock 2 cells is about the same as a regular SE with the lights hooked up. The range is alot better, I honestly don't know how far it would go because it gets to small for me to really see. I have 5 SE bodies (RX-7, A86, Levin, Chevelle, and GTO), all fit fine but the GTO is a little low in the back and hits the back of the pcb.

Here is a better shot of the chassis. This is about the best I can get with the cheap cam I have.

also I have small vid I made of it when with the first revisions made.

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=54634 2.3mb wmv
Last edited by sat4life27 on Sat May 07, 2005 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

:???: Me like, Me like ...

Anyways, I think that your car should be rollin on dubs man. Otherwise, nice mod. and cool vid, but i wonna see that shit's speed.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Yea the propo looked so smooth in that vid, excellent.

But now I wanna see that thing dis-appear because the range is so far.
That's gotta be nice to be limited by your eyes instead of frequency range.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well that's pretty cool. I had planned to get an Iwaver PCB to put into a MT, some day, but now I see that I'm gonna need several. I hope Toyeast keeps selling those for a while. Those are some handy PCBs, and a bargain at $22.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
mod_o_matic
bitThug

Post by mod_o_matic »

I can't get the dam video! Dam it! I comes up with code...erg..any help?

Looks good and amazing it fits in sooo dam nicely...
JDM-R34
bitGangsta'

Post by JDM-R34 »

Thats some nice work there, esp. for your 1st and 2nd posts, keep up the good work! :cool:
DRIFT HAPPENS
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

mod_o_matic wrote:I can't get the dam video! Dam it! I comes up with code...erg..any help?

Looks good and amazing it fits in sooo dam nicely...
Try updating your media player (codecs).
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

well i'm sold! i'd love my se to run perfectly. :eek:
i used to be cool
sat4life27
bitPimp

Post by sat4life27 »

Here is one last picture of the whole setup (with my freshly painted RX-7 body). The controller is a Jaguar T2P by ACE R/C. It is modded with a 12v dc-dc converter I made so it only needs two batteries to work. I took the SE controller and gutted it out and put the charger electronics out of a superslick controller to charge the car. I have a adjustable power adaptor that slides into for power when I have access to plugin, or I can pop in the batteries to charge it on the go. I found the schematics for the converter on the internet and can email a pdf file to anyone interested in it. I think it cost about 12 dollars for enough to make two.

Last edited by sat4life27 on Sat May 07, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.