The Half-Bakery - Raw and Uncooked Ideas.

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Re: The Half-Bakery - Raw and Uncooked Ideas.

Post by frizzen »

Using a drillpress, file, and micrometer, I turned down the 'brake drums' on my rear axle last night to match the specs of the rim halves, then tacked the outside half of the rims on with CA for both axles.

So, I slapped tires on, grabbed some of the bluetackycrap...

Lemme hear ya say Mock Up.

Front end is jacked up just enough to clear the steering lever, rear is sitting on the rear-axle suspension mounts. Front end is about where I think full even compression will end up, rear is WAY too low, but it gives a better idea.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

OK, that looks killer :-o It looks like it might be time to pull it from the halfbakery and promote it to a full build thread. :smile:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Your car definately looks to have some potential. Also, that thing is big enough to eat hay!

I think you might be right about my SS-M needing to upgrade from Half-Baked back into The Oven. But then the question about what section does my MAN need to go to?

Also, holy fuck the german Revell kits are sweet! I don't know if it's just because it's a skill 5, or if all of them are this nice, but this is so well thought out.
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I think I'd put it in the section with the SSMT builds (we had some here didn't we :???: ) since it has SSMT axles it a SSMT :lol:

Yeah the 1/6 car is almost the same size as some of the gas 1/4 scaler nascar stuff. The thing that got me hooked is this is the only RC I've ever had that makes skidding sounds like a real car. Not always, but when the pavement is warm and you have a high speed sweeper. Of course if I take enough weight out it probably wont make the Dukes of Hazard sound anymore. :-( But it should be faster. :-D I may have to think about adding a channel or two when I upgrade the electronics...if I get it to go fast brakes would be nice.

BTW, if you think this is big... http://zhuhai-textiles-imp-exp.tradenot ... 1-:-3.html There is a seller on ebay that has a few...they go for around $300 if I remember right, they may be toy grade but they are over five feet long and they go over 20mph.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Ok fine, my MAN is now going to live in the unused board where 'Misc. RC and other Hobbies' hide. You know, where nobody visits or cares.

http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... 35&t=10260
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Tatra time...

Redrustbucket posted about milling the drivecups in the ZZ-M knuckle, it was a must-do steering mod!!! Pull an E-clip, push the cup inboard, I used a round diamond bit in a drill press, cleanup with a file, installation is anti-dissasemblywise. Combine that with some liberal trimming of plastic, and it'll turn until the trailing edge almost hits the chassis!!!

So, because I'd just modded the knuckles, I had to know how it performs now. I finally gave in and yanked the electronics out of another ZZ-M, threw them in, and did a test-drive! It was a quick and dirty install, but the project moves under its own power now.

Turning is pretty good for a 4" wheelbase ZZ-M, it's within 2 feet and not the 40 acres I was fearing. Wheelbase is about TWICE the length of a stock ZZ, so I'm pretty happy with it. Doing the mod an a stock length one, you'd have to be careful not to run into yourself when you turn. :P

Green motor, green gears, 2 cell. Kinda slow and needs more torque to make up for things like its heavier body, that I was hauling a '59 'vette ZZ, if get crazy and put a pintle hitch on... Trying to decide if I need to torque test motors, play with pinions, or just volt up.

I'm starting to work on the interior layout.
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Bent up another hoop, and made stake pockets

Got a start on one of these

Put it in there...

Which brings us to here

But that looked naked, so I threw this at it

THEN...

I was thinking more about performance. Sure, it LOOKS like a truck, but it's gotta drive like a truck. A big, burly unstoppable millitary truck.

ZipZap Monster tech
- Green motor (8,000rpm), 7t pinion, Green gears (23.99:1) has a really good scale speed which I like; but lacks the obscene torque of this type truck. It struggles over terrain while carrying a ZipZap in the bed. Think fast trial truck, or around town driving speeds.
- Green motor, 6t pinion, green gears (27.98:1) doesn't loose much speed and is a little better torque, barely.
- Red motor (14,500rpm, second slowest, and highest torque of all ZZ-M motors), 7t pinion, Green gears (23.99:1) has a bit more speed than I'd really prefer, but simply hauls the mail with a ZZ in the bed, and can climb much better than I was expecting. Think more like highway or Dakar truck speeds.
- Red motor, 6t pinion, green gears (27.98:1), forget it. Since I'm not running a PCB cover like a stock ZZ-M the motor clip is only held at one end, and the torque keeps breaking gear-mesh.

So, red motor, green gears. Maybe I'll add more tire weight if it's still too fast after I finish putting lots more detail stuff on it.
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Looks great, I have to get back to mine, I've been unmotivated lately...damned politicians...but this has me thinking I should get off my lazy ass and start building again. Great work BTW.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Glad you like the looks of it so far. That's better than I was getting out of scale4x4rc. BitPimps being down sucks, it's made me get more stuff done on projects.

Yesterday I was playing around a bit more, and I need to try to steal some Bic pens from work...

What are you going on about? Politicians keeping you from building your truck? Did they pass an ordinance about not keeping non-running projects in your driveway?
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

No but all of the time I spend plotting...er, I mean planning my next trip to DC is really cutting into everything. I just guess I've been a little depressed, the local unemployment rate has hit 23% and climbing. The neighboring city is a ghost town, the house values have fallen by nearly 50% but for some reason the property taxes just went up. BO has just issued a new exeuctive order that gives him power over all state, local, epa, and housing agencies in urban areas...even if he doesn't go nuts and abuse them, all of this power in the hands of one man can't end well. I kept saying Bush was reserving too much power to the presidency, now BO is esculating it. I wish they'd just declair martial law, send us to the work camp, and be done with it. This slow descent into facism is really annoying.

*well damn it, you asked.

**Attention Members of the Secret Police: the above statment was a joke. I am in no way advocating violence or revolution. I'd like to take this oppertunity to praise the messiah, and declair we have no king but Obama. I cheerfully look forward to my time in the death...er, re-education camps becuase I know they are for our own good. I will be more than happy to recieve the special mark of Obama on the back of my hand or forhead, your choice of course, I defer to your wisedom. Thank you from a loyal citizen...please don't kill me.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

sidewinder wrote:**Attention Members of the Secret Police: the above statment was a joke. I am in no way advocating violence or revolution. I'd like to take this oppertunity to praise the messiah, and declair we have no king but Obama. I cheerfully look forward to my time in the death...er, re-education camps becuase I know they are for our own good. I will be more than happy to recieve the special mark of Obama on the back of my hand or forhead, your choice of course, I defer to your wisedom. Thank you from a loyal citizen...please don't kill me.
It'll be re-education centers, there is a negative condatation to camps.

I guess he was paying attention to Orwell.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

On the Glenn Beck insider forum there's a guy who's trying to convince Glenn to give him all of the pitchforks that Glenn collected (people were sending them in to his show as a protest against Washington so he has thousands). The guy is an artist and wants to arrange them on the mall in DC each fork would have the name of a congressman or senator or president, but when viewed from a distance...say from the Capital Building for example...they would look like Ben Franklin's "don't tread on me" insignia. If he does it I'm seriously thinking of heading to DC to help him set it up. If it works out I'll meet you at that rib place (that you talked about a while back) on the way out. I doubt it's going to happen, but if it does I'll buy you a rack of ribs.

...and then you can just wire the bail money after I get there. :sad:
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

On the Glenn Beck insider forum there's a guy who's trying to convince Glenn to give him all of the pitchforks that Glenn collected (people were sending them in to his show as a protest against Washington so he has thousands). The guy is an artist and wants to arrange them on the mall in DC each fork would have the name of a congressman or senator or president, but when viewed from a distance...say from the Capital Building for example...they would look like Ben Franklin's "don't tread on me" insignia. If he does it I'm seriously thinking of heading to DC to help him set it up. If it works out I'll meet you at that rib place (that you talked about a while back) on the way out. I doubt it's going to happen, but if it does I'll buy you a rack of ribs.

BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

sidewinder wrote:If it works out I'll meet you at that rib place (that you talked about a while back) on the way out. I doubt it's going to happen, but if it does I'll buy you a rack of ribs.
Sounds like a plan.
sidewinder wrote:
Like I have any money for bail. Maybe we'll get a ACLU to work on the side of light for once. :-D
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I dunno about that, I tried talking to the ACLU about getting infant genital mutilation prohibited for both genders. (I can't really think of a bigger civil liberty than being able to make decisions about what body parts you have ripped off your body) Their reply was basically "Maybe you should talk to a lawyer."

Pitchforking into the mall Don't Tread on Me is brilliant. I'll see if I can scrounge up bail money, if you'll do the same for when I go there... http://www.stopinfantcircumcision.org/2009SICshed.htm
-