The Half-Bakery - Raw and Uncooked Ideas.

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Yeah, that was one of my main inspirations. For some reason, my front arms are just too tight or difficult to move. What doesn't make sense is he only had steering coils and I have a servo on my side.... :???:

Frizzen, I took another look at your projects, and I don't know how willing you are to focus on them now but I have a few ideas. For the hearse, you could just extend the chassis. You could to ibjam's music string suspension mod. The nice thing about this one is that it is easy to do and makes it easy to adjust the chassis length. You could just do a low suspension setup or even make it raised in the back for a dragster look; add some wider tires. Damn!

For the xmod trail rig, I can help you out with the servo and gear mesh. I've done it on my crawler with the Hi-Tec HS-55 servo. It's plenty slow. :-o
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
frizzen
bitDisciple

I will smite your Dialup!!!!

Post by frizzen »

S&M, any body shots of the TTTT? The chassis looks cool, I hadn't seen somebody try a plastic one, they usually go brass. I like it.

For the batmobile, how about a pic of the steering assembly so we might be able to see the problem?

-
The hearse I was building to fit a stock wheelbase ZZ, probably an SE as I doubt the durability of that body for high speed running. Which means I'd probably go for an "In Service" look or atleast a more mature subtle owner Metallic Silver, black top with Landau irons, Torque Thrust rims; rather than a decomissioned hot-rodded fun toy with flames and a 6-71.
MAYBE I should talk to some of the pimps who are badasses with resin, have a couple cast, do a little tweaking to the body, cast again and maybe do a small run. I'd be WAY more willing to do destructive things to it, if it wasn't just Aluminum mesh, resin, spot putty.

This is too much text, I better throw in another picture... Hold on.
That's better.
Besides, when it's done I'd have to start little making tiny purple flags for all my other cars that have headlights. :lol:

Cheyenne, I've got an HS-55 modded up for drive use, but hadn't found a good way to do a laydown mount with a long enough gear to mesh.
--

Added fake frame rails, stretched the gap between bed and body to 0.200". Oh and that weird white scythe blade between the bed and cab is glare off the clear mockup tape.
Last edited by frizzen on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Yeah, I'll work on the TTTT again tomorrow when my hands and morale are feeling better (skateboard spill caused the first one). I went with plastic just because it's what I have and can work with easily. I have some brass but it is all pretty big and hard to drill and cut with my dremel. This way I can use a cut off disc and a xacto knife for most of it. I have some thirty odd pictures of the build process and might even just start that thread tomorrow too.

What you see in the pictures is pretty much it. If you want to see the car's steering servo for shits and giggles I have that. Basically right now I just can't get the right arm to turn right hard enough and the left likewise for it's side. They turn inside easily, but outward only gets me a millimeter or two - no enough make a turn in a 2ft radius. Really.

Lets see those pics, and I've got some of how I did mine:

I used a spam can for the metal holder because it's easy to bend and cut and sturdy. Then just some electrical tape and zip ties to keep everything meshing right.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I thought a Spam Can was part of your Email. :-D

That'd work for the Xmod, but I was hoping to be able to leave the rear pod more intact.
-
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Yeah, can't blame you for that. Have more versatility. I did see someone who did this mod and was able to get the gears through the original hole and cut very little. I'll look tomorrow when I'm more coherent. :-(
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I just found somebody working on a kinda similar truck, and they're already WELL on their way to one-up the Tatra. :lol:
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23524
He's using 2 ZZ-M making a badass 8x8 MAN truck.
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

That is awesome! :-o I don't know what lse to say other than awesome.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Yeah, those are some good ideas to use xmods parts :???:
Well, here are couple of my recent projects. Hopefully I'll finish them :sad:
DTM MB bit
Mustang zip

At this point I think wing on the mustang is a bit too large, or not.
Suggestions are welcome. :-o
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Those are off to a good start. What all do you still have to do to them?

I'm not sure about the spoiler size, I have seen bigger in real life.
-
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Bunch of details.
On mustang: patch holes on the roof and the crack, finish side effects(what are those called? , forgot), side scoops, more filler on rear quarters and then sand, sand, prime, paint. I may keep the spoiler at this size.
On MB: also fill holes on the roof, patch tabs holes, sand, prime, paint.
Not too much of things, but time consuming.
My work takes most of my day, so setting up to do some messy things is a bit of a problem.
But I do intend on finishing these two.
BTW, that MB is from a set of pull backs I found at a $1 store. It was a sort of the "cars" theme. All plastic.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

ynad, That doesn't seem too bad, sounds like it's just finding time and motivation.

-
So far, amazingly this is keeping inertia.
Aside from: making the panel lines deeper, finalizing the window edges, an Installing a center post on the windshield; think the Tatra is about to the point of needing a paint scheme. So far I can't even decide 'Active Duty' or 'Decomissioned'. Not all white, and I'm not feeling high gloss. Suggestions?

Got the body drilled and mounted; 2 points to the old board cover points on rear end, a spacer link will go between bed front and driveshaft tube, spacer probably glued only at bed. Articulation will be about 1 ZZ-M tire width, which will just clear the body without opening the fenders anymore. Amazingly it look like it'll still be able to charge on a stock ZZ-M TX. Needs bumpers, but first I need to decide on LIGHTING; 2 white front, 2 red rear minimum, got any cool ideas? Need to build a jig for softtop bows, so I can solder up a frame, then mount the stake pockets in bed.

Need to get motivated and mod a ZZ-M board for flatness and break out the wire stretcher. Once I have that, I can decide on my interior room and start on that. I was thinking throw a Troop Bench on aft wall, Buckets back to back up front on each side for driver/pax and navigator/pax, big ol' engine hump it center of cab, and dash with some details.
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

What do you think of paint like the tank?

Light grey / white camo
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Definitely! You gotta do it...winter camo is the shit! I keep thinking some day I need to get a full size Dodge ram, stuff the biggest mud tires I can find on it, big ass brush guard/roll bar/nerf bars...and then spray the whole thing in winter camo.

If you had made a little missile instead of the tank you could have played "spies like us."

Way cool build. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

What's a DICKFER?

Post by frizzen »

Well since you put it that way, I better hit the motor pool to have the truck reconfigured...
First stop, the kitchen...Then the world!!!
Now bring on the Russian millitary snowbunnies!

(hope those weren't too dark, my monitor is dying and I can't see anything well. My poor CRT :( )

So when are you going to Steal my Thunder and start your own truck? If you get really lazy, you can even drop about $10 and have about 80% of a Scania daycab box body done for you.
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It's not as much lazy as cheap, I've been wanting to do a build but I can't bring myself to pay what people want for the remaining monster trucks. It's not that the price would break me (that would be kind of sad), it's just the idea of paying $35 or more for the donner. I keep bidding on stuff on ebay, and I keep getting sniped at the end. :sad: There are a couple of people who list them cheaper but two of them I've dealt with before and they could be giving the trucks away, still wouldn't want to deal with the hassle. :o

I do have a build somewhere in the 1/24 scale I'm planning...I've got most of the parts, just waiting for Ripper over at R7R to have time to do a custom chassis. I'll post a thread when I get the build started.