The Half-Bakery - Raw and Uncooked Ideas.

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Well, as I am the king of unfinished projects, and I have turned into a collector of donar vehicles and parts for said projects.... I figure I'd post it here.

*Just like Frizzen, I have a SSMT and the Sami model - but I want to build it like the European's offroad vehicles. I've seen Danas on them, and kinda like it. Like you said, everyone does Jeeps, Fords and Toyotas - I like to be different. Or I have the 1/24th scale Dodge D50 :lol:
*A Maisto roll back with SE gear..... just like Frizzen's :shock:
*A 4x4 ZZ with the Wrangler shell.....
*Another ZZ Herbie turned into a cal-looker, with chrome luggage rack and other chrome trim, and in red - or a rusted/primered rat rod.
*A 1/25th scale '66 VW Beetle all cal-looked, using a gen 1 Xmod. The rear shocks removed, leaving the rear wheels tucked in like how the 1:1 looks when it's lowed with the stock trailing arms and off camber.
*A 1/24th Grand National using gen 2 Xmod.
*1/32 Tamiya 4x4s using ZZMT - the Nissan Terrano(Pathfinder) and 2dr LandCruiser
*the - "I wanna be a High-Lift when I grow up" build with the micro T stuff and scrap made axles

I'm sure there is more..... just boxed away for now.

Bad news is; I(we) had a conference call on Friday morning.... they (BestBuy and GeekSquad) just announced that company wide we(all hourly employees) all are going to work only 32 hour weeks until further notice. No more 40 hr weeks, much less any overtime. Yeah, do the math. That's a 20% pay cut, never mind the overtime we'll loose in my part of the company. :o
In the past, we were able to use benefit time to bring our hours up to 40, in case we were slow that week. They won't let us do that now, unless we need it to have it brought up to 32 hrs. :-?

Good news is; I may have more time now to finish these half backed and stagnant projects. 8-)
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Sorry to hear about the cutbacks, do you work fro the GeekSquad part? Maybe you could freelance on the side and do computer repairs for people? Well anyways, I hope things work out for you.

It sounds like you have some pretty cool projects to fill the time with, I'll be looking forward to seeing them. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Um, no. Not the computers. I am very computer illiterate. :-? I used to do Car Audio, but since April I am doing Home Theater installs under the Geek Squad brand. I occasionally do car audio side work anyway, but that is a terminating offense. They see it as a "conlflict of interests".

I have a couple of other projects in the workstoo, I just didn't post them. 8-)
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Here I thought I was original with the 1/43 and Sammi.
Completely different, my Maisto rollback is xformer zz/zz-m/slotcar.

All the projects sound cool, any pics?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Not quite yet.
When I got the sammy kit, I thought I was going to be original, :lol:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I think my SS-M is going to try a 1/35 scale Revel (of Germany) MAN 5T body next, or maybe their Unimog but it might be a bit small.

In my opinion, the sammi would be better scaled for a ZZ-M drivetrain.
-
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

I agree, the ZZMT would be better suited to that small body. But after seeing one in a Top Truck Challenge video, I liked the idea of huge Danas under a CJ chassis, and the small Sammy body topping it off and flying through the woods as fast as if it was on a street :lol: .
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

:???: Have a link to that video? That does sound pretty cool.

I sat down and started doing some math for the MAN 5T/7T/10T. Revell claims the 1/35 scale has a 10" lenght, little searching found that the standard 10T 8x8 KAT1 is a little under 100" wide, so scaled that is a little under 2.85" wide, the ss-m front end comes in at 2.970". I think with a little narrowing if needed, that should be close enough for government work.
-
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

frizzen wrote::???: Have a link to that video? That does sound pretty cool.

I sat down and started doing some math for the MAN 5T/7T/10T. Revell claims the 1/35 scale has a 10" lenght, little searching found that the standard 10T 8x8 KAT1 is a little under 100" wide, so scaled that is a little under 2.85" wide, the ss-m front end comes in at 2.970". I think with a little narrowing if needed, that should be close enough for government work.
I'd like to see that video too. Here's one I found and favorite'd a while ago. It shows you it's not the size of the tool, it's whether it was built in America or Japan. :eek:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Suzu ... _13194.htm
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

I've searched on youtube for a while, but can't find it... :(

Anyway. I do have another thought for a build that has been in my mind for what seems like ages. A few days ago, an idea that has had me vexed for a while, came to me......
I don't want to give it away yet, as I haven't seen anything like it in a tiny 1/64th scale... :lol:
but a phrase for a hint ----- "hittin' switches" :cool:
or posssibly another way ----"bagged" :-o
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I tried to figure a way to make an air ride in bit size, I thought of using bubble wrap bubbles but couldn't figure a way to make a tiny air pump. I tried playing with a worm gear but gave up...if that's what you're thinking I'm really looking forward to seeing it, even though I'm not a big fan of the full size baggers.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I've seen a few attempts at Adjustable Suspension on bits/zips. The only good one I remember had really bad pics. There were several people claiming they had done it, with decent pics of lies.

I'd suggest starting off front only using a lift motor with string & knotting methods like the 1/24 scale model lowrider builders. Longer throw on the steering knuckles, make the suspension bar do the work. 3 Ch board, maybe BitCharG PowerBrute or something?

This was faked in response to a guy on TinyRC that wouldn't shut up about his "HYDRAULIC ZZ THAT WOULD HIT A 3-WHEEL" and wouldn't admit he was fake, even though it was obvious how he did that. Since I'm a strong believer in not calling fake unless you have enough proof that you're basically bringing a gun to a fist-fight; I duplicated his move (with an even higher 3-wheel) stated it was absolutely fake, and challenged him about how I faked that my Beetle did the front hop. He came clean.
Any guesses?
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Ok, you only popped the axle in on one side and you use clear plastic to prop up the bug...very nice fake though. I wouldn't have spoted it if I hadn't looked hard...but what I don't get is how you got Erik Estrada to pose for you.

ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Yeah, I remember that thread. Didn't he also claim he did other mods to it, but so many mods it would have been impossible?

Anywho, I'll lay it out for ya. I'll try to explain but trying to put it in words, is difficult. No pics - this is all in my head.

body is a gutted diecast lowered Truckin' Chevy Quad cab Dually with the rear window and the taunou cut out, and a styrene camper shell attached - to make room for two zip boards, maybe even the Nkok boards.

One to operate the truck, steering and driveline, and the added board to operate two SE geared steering components with the Pot. removed.
The front magnetic steering and the rear motor/axle section completely cut away from the chassis. Then using glued on tiny tube shafts mounted vertically, sewing needles (with ethe head at the tops) for the front and for the rear in the corners will go through the tubes, and then attached to a fabbed chassis.
The front and rear will "slide" up and down the needles - not a lot, mind you, because the tubes will need to be just long enough to resist the twisting of actually driving the truck. Inbetween the pairs of needles, will be a small strip of plastic like a tab going vertically with a slot cut out. And a tiny thin piece of plastic going horizonally through the slot, overhanging the front steering, and the rear will have it's own seperate design.
Sounds wierd, but the thin plastic will be overhanging the chassis in a manner that is angled downward, so it will have a see-saw effect - pull up on the strip of plastic on the chassis side , the front (or rear respectively) will move down, thus pushing the chassi up.

What will do this remotely, is a 2nd controller operating the 2nd board powering the SE steering gear/ motor portions attached to the chassis, (one for front one for rear) with the output shaft having a tiny arm of sorts, that will only go one direction. No recentering with no pot and return springs, and will engage as long as the button on the controller is being pushed. Push the controller button It will turn, and the arm will push up on the thin plastic strip, jacking that end of the chassis up. Then when the arm turns beyond the strip, the weight of the vehicle will slam that end of the vehicle back on the ground.
The front and rear could be controlled independantly, and seperate from steering and foward and reverse.
Only front and rear - no side to side-
As far as the controllers, you take the two and velcro the 2nd one - that operates the 2nd board- to the back. And then Bamm! - you have a poor man's 4 ch controller. :lol:

This may not make any sense to you guys, but I have tried to put down what I have invisioned.

This may not even be possible at all, if it is possible - it will be a wiring nightmare, and may be like stuffing 20 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound bag.

But that's the point of this thread right? :-)
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

That sounds wild! And, it sounds like it should be doable, the only real problem i can think of is will the body be too heavy to lift? If so, over on R7R, there's a guy who's been making vac-u-formed bodies for the Mini-T, maybe he would use his vacuum table to make a lightweight body? He could use your body (well, the truck's really) as a form. Other than the weight it sounds like a perfect idea...and I could be wrong about the weight.