The Half-Bakery - Raw and Uncooked Ideas.

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

The Half-Bakery - Raw and Uncooked Ideas.

Post by frizzen »

Ok, I'm starting a thread for all the half-baked Project Ideas, Failed Projects, or Works in Progress with no end in sight. If it's half baked, put it here!

All projects from everyone are welcome! All comments to all projects are welcome! Please help get this thread going by sharing yours. Let everyone see the kind of ideas you'd be pumping out if you had the [fill in the excuse].

-
I'd like to kick off this thread with my oldest uncompleted RC work in progress, dating all the way back to my pre-pimp days on Tiny RC. Fans of old obscure posts may remember it.

The Coach.
1980's era american landau-style Hearse. Scratch built ZZ body, aluminum mesh and fiberglass, based on an '80s Chevy caprice copcar I had, as everything GM is just a rebadge of something else.

The Flatbed
Maisto flatbed wrecker + ZZ Transformer Camero + slotcar parts... Manual bed. ran into issues with steering, and atleast one component on the ZZ PCB broke while on my desk.

Xmod Chevy
Couldn't get the servo crawlerbox to mesh right yet, so I have trouble staying motivated to work on it. It's a trail truck WAY too fast for a trail.

SuperSlicks Scaler
No pics.
****EDIT *****
****EDIT****

Buy remains of a 1/43 SS-M from a pimp for a steal price. Buy 1/25 Suzuki Samurai. Look at Sammi on what look like Rockwell axles, go back to drawing board, thinking about other bodies.
EVERYBODY runs either a Jeep CJ, American Truck/SUV, or Toyota Truck/SUV. I found a Jeep Commander body that'd fit great, but I'm not really feeling it, looks about as capible as a Hummer2 :o .
So currently I'm thinking maybe a Mercedes Unimog or MAN 5T truck?

ZZ-M MAN
Fresh half-baked straight from the underpowered lightbulb oven of a Pimp mind!
In an effort to slow the idea of wanting a 1/43 SS-M (1/35 Revell) or 1/10 Tamiya (scratchbuild body) based MAN, I started thinking ZZ-M + papercraft body = cheap mockup or pattern for a MUCH cheaper project. To see how badly I want one and if it would look about right on a ZZ stretch. Set to ZZ-M trackwidth, wheelbase set at "looks about right", in the bed is a ZZ-SE Lancer Evo.
I still really want to pull the trigger on the 1/35 MAN 7T at my LHS, but I'm kinda feeling it!

Those are the cool ones I can think of at the moment, what are yours?
Last edited by frizzen on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Ok, this will never get done but I keep thinking how cool it would be to scale down an old cox nitro engine to bit size and have the worlds first gas bit. I even looked into jewlers tools to see how feasable it would be. The real problem would be getting little enough fuel into the tiny engine so you didn't flood it. Crazy? Yeah, but if I ever hit the lotto watch out.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I love the Nitro Bit idea, but that'd take an OCD machinist to built, or near limitless funding. It's not mine and the image was blatantly stolen, I did find this on a messageboard somewhere...

So who knows. :shock:
---------

Well, that paperbody sitting on my desk didn't help, it's still making me want to start a non-scale Trial Truck project. I really like the 'crewcab' type cabs better than the smaller 'daycab' type, so that's limiting my options a bit.
MAN 5T from earlier.

Or a Tatra 815, now that I managed to find one.

Due to tires, scaling is off and I'm NOT going to correct it, big enough to carry a Zip with room to spare is enough for me. Lots of details I didn't bother with in paper. I'd build either with an open cargo bed like the MAN and probably a canvas cover to finish off. I won't do the 6x6 or 8x8 versions of either; I don't want to dick with passthrough axles, 4x4 only.

Pimps are best at being opinionated, so Good / Bad / Indifferent / Suggestions. What do you guys think?
-
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Good idea man, I got some of those WIP's :(
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

God I love the Tatra 815! It would be so cool. Where did you find the paper model file for that? Do they have any other cool stuff? Anyway...you gotta build it before I steal the idea. :-)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

ynaD,
Post 'em! This thread is all about getting motivation for the stalled projects. It's not just a "check out what I'm NOT building" thread, it's supposed to be a "Dude, that's badass, you must finish or I must make one!" type thread.

-
Pffft. Yeah dude, *I'M* going to say no to someone stealing an idea. Look at how many non-stickied tutorials I've done around here, both free standing and tucked into other posts.

The 1988 Tatra 815 8x8 was lifted from here.
http://papirove-tatry-z-dakaru.ingrove. ... cz&lang=cz
They focus on the Dakar Rally stuff, so everything is Dakar livery and has a covered bed. Tatras are HARD to find. Many days of searching and my browsers locking up, falling over, and sinking into the swamp before I could find it. Turns out that not all scripts run well without the language addons...

I started on the MAN open bed before I went to work today, but I can't decede which cab I want. They both look killer! The MAN will take several more cuts than the Tatra. I can't decide!!!
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Well then I may just have to do a version of this one:

Then we'll have to find a sand box about half way between us and have a race :smile:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I like it! What scale do you think you're aiming for? As mine sit in the mockup pics, they're 5.5" overall length.

Sounds like a plan. I wasn't sure if we should find sand and play Dakar, or find gravel and play Trial Truck. :lol:
-
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

frizzen wrote:I like it! What scale do you think you're aiming for? As mine sit in the mockup pics, they're 5.5" overall length.

Sounds like a plan. I wasn't sure if we should find sand and play Dakar, or find gravel and play Trial Truck. :lol:
I'm jealous. I've been working on a 1:87 TTTT for the past two days solid. What I wouldn't give for a 1:64 scale right now. I've got a few projects in the works and some caught up in the brain storm. I'll get pics up soon - after rest! Some of them will even go in Flossin' section, yeah it's that far done. :-o

Oh, and I found this baby when I browsing TTTT's.
Eat your heart out gentlemen.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
frizzen
bitDisciple

Dude, you HIJACKED your own thread!

Post by frizzen »

S&M, I'm somewhere bigger than 1/50 scale now. :lol:

Tatra 815 cab scaled up a little to width match the MAN 5T bed. I'm using 0.040" styrene. For a size reference the bed will hold a C&G Monster Bit on stock tires with a little bit of room to spare. It will have that Lifted with MonsterTruck tires look, if I scaled to the tires, it's somewhere a little over 7.5" instead of 5.5" and I'd have to get really creative to make the patterns print right.
Current plans: bed sides fixed, tail gate should hinge, might as well open windows and throw in some interior, exocage, maybe removable soft top for bed, ZZ-M PCB, ZZ light kit, articulated stretched ZZ-M with lots of other mods...

I'm jelous. I've been wanting to make a 1/87 TTTT for years now. None of my LHS are that big into millitary stuff for HO trains anymore.
-
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Well hopefully after I finish mine sometime in next couple of days and post the thread along with all the pictures it'll inspire you. I just used one of those Malibu walmart suvs and the stunt car pcb. Most everything else is just scraps lying around.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I'd love to do one somewhere in the range of 1:43 but try to find SSMT axles anymore...so I'll probably see if I can dig up an affordable zzmt on ebay.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Nobody else is sharing much, so I'll continue whoring out my thread. Pic added to first post.

At this rate, guess this one might not be quite Half-bakery much longer.
Body roughed out and glued up, Cab panel lines cut in, ride height mockup, wheelbase guessed. ZZ-M and ZZ-SE for comparison.

Driveshaft will be really low. I'm not all about the distance between bed and rear tires; unless I come up with a way to attach it while still letting the rear articulate, or stuff rear up into the bed which would kill any payload capibility. Going to throw in some toolboxes or gas tanks (Hide batteries), mudflaps, front and rear bumpers eventually that'll fill some of that empty space. I could also throw in a fake frame (around bottom of cab height) that'll help visually lower the rig.

How's the ride height look?
-
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Frizzen, I think you need to put some fenders on the rear wheel to make it look lower and hide the motor junk. Just my opinion, but I really like the idea.

Alright, alright, I guess it's my time to chime in and contribute my in-progress projects. I don't think any of them will be unfinished, just in good time (sure, that's what they all say). Also, I'm sharing some of my notebook drawings and brainstorms so if yall could avoid stealing them without my permission ( :finger: ) and give me a little credit if you end up using my idea, I'd really appreciate it.

Here are my sketches and brainstorming.

To start off, The Tumbler:

Problems: I did my dual cell wrong, not a big deal to fix. The steering servo is too weak to move the front arms how I have them set up. Any suggestions are welcome.

Next, the 1:87 TTTT

Look at that puppy articulate!

Problems: As you could guess, SPACE!!! It's not too bad really. I need to redo my front wheels. The rod I was using kept slipping out of the tube and provides too much friction for the rear to move it. I have a planned way to fix it so no big deal. I had everything all pasted together but have decided to rearrange some things to maximize space efficiency. Expect to see her in the flossin' section soon!
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Well if you are doing the tumbler you should see how it was done by Pube Joolz nearly 2 years ago.

Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.