AirHogs Micro Hovercraft

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

AirHogs Micro Hovercraft

Post by frizzen »

While I was scouting the Toys R Us, I wandered through the Airhogs isle, they have a micro hovercraft, about 4" long, IR, ducted fan with magnet-steer rudders for $30.

I wanted one, but this was already getting expensive with 3 Q-steer Buggies and an X-Trek.

Also, in another isle, they had a 1/10 to 1/14 scale RC hovercraft for somewhere in the $60 range, differential thrust style. When that goes on clearance, hobby grade electronics...
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: AirHogs Micro Hovercraft

Post by sidewinder »

Yeah I got a Micro Terrain Titan the other day and almost got sucked in by the smaller hovercraft, I didn't see the big one...I had to get out of there or I would have spent way too much. BTW, did you see the New Bright 1/5 scale buggy? When they clear that out I'm thinking custom chassis and hobby grade electronics.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Retrospectively, I think the little hovercraft would have been a better way to go than the xtrek, but I'd seen the hover on Targets site, so they should be hitting pretty soon, and I've got several of them closer to me.

I didn't spend much time looking at NewBrights, my opinion, they're only good for body donors, and I'm a ways out from doing a 1/10 scratchbuild. A MRC sammie or kicktrack will come first.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I agree on the New Bright stuff, I was thinking steal the body, and the wheels/tires, then basically scrap the rest. If they clear these out for around $50 like they have their other 1/5 and 1/6 scale stuff it would make a cheaper donor than buying a real body and tires. You might even get away with using the A arms if they are heavy enough.

I've been looking at a 1/6 scale Ford Ranger that they have for $50 at our Dollar General, it might make for a nice hard shell build. I have a Wheely King and the crawler conversion, just build a longer chassis and fab some drive shafts and it should look pretty scale. If I measured right it's about two inches narrower than the WK's track so the tores should stick out about the same percentage as on a real truck. I doubt that I'll do it, but I do have to admit I've always wanted something in the giant-ass scale...30inches long might do the trick.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand