24 Hour Crawler.

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

24 Hour Crawler.

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Ok, I've got some inspiration, two days off, and a new Jeep body. I'm hoping to just get it all done (minus body work) by 6pm tomorrow. Time from sleeping and school might be added later if necessary. I'm only trying this since this new body (CJ-equse) is the perfect width for a zzmt and all I have to do is lengthen it and make it look nice. Shouldn't be too hard. Check back.

Mock ups:
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
frizzen
bitDisciple

Re: 24 Hour Crawler.

Post by frizzen »

What's the Jeep body from?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

I just found it at a Rite Aid in Sacramento where I live. There was a little kiosk with some cool looking cars on the same scale (bmw, camero, h3, dodge ram). It's a fairly light die-cast body with a plastic hardtop.

Update time:
WInch placement:
Front 'axle'
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Damn, I gotta get to Rite Aid. Looking good, this should be an interesting build. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

*poke poke*

:mad:

No fucking updates for the pimps...

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32434" target="_blank

Making us go out and find them ourselves...
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Yeah sorry about that guys. I moved it over to Scale4X4RC and was just about to tell yall. I had this setup with instant email notification, but I didn't get any emails and figured you guys just didn't reply. Basically, I obviously didn't meet the 24 deadline, but I'm think I can do it by the end of the week. This build ended up being more involved than I intended, but I'd rather take my time and do it right. More or less I'm attempting to build a 1/35-ish chassis based off of 1/10 scale crawler designs. It's not easy, but I could be harder too. Just working out designs on my own is the most difficult and getting it all to fit and mesh well.

Here's the link again.
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showth ... post436573" target="_blank

I'm just lazy. :D
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

Here.
Smoke&Mirrors wrote: Ok, it's my attempt at a Live build. That is, I'm trying to finish this project by 6pm tomorrow and should be updating it fairly often. I started at 6 today and posted on a different forum to start with (bitpimps). I figured I'd bring it here as it might get a little more attention. (vain, I know).

Down to business. The body is a CJ-esque body I found at Rite Aid today. The chassis should be custom. I'm still debating whether to use the ZZMT's drive train or fit a micro-t tranny in it with two drive shafts. It should have a winch and hopefully working lights when done, but that comes after the 24 hours. I might aslo fudge the time and add in time from sleeping and classes tomorrow.

Let me know what you think, especially if this ends in failure.

Mock up:

Front 'axle' so far:

Planned Winch Placement:

Ok ok, I'm awake. Let's see, I think I'll probably go with you oldtamiyaphile and just stick with the stock setup. Let's see what I can get done in the next hour or so. I'll get some new pics up then.

UPDATE:

Okay, looks like I won't make my 6 pm deadline, but that doesn't mean I'm quitting now. Here is my latest update and I'll be gone for an hour or so after this. Keep the comments coming please. Also, I decided to go with a micro-t/zzmt hybrid for the trans. It will be rear driven with 'driveshafts' and a 'transfer case' (I use both terms lightly) in the middle to help with the ground clearance.

Okay, last update for tonight (this morning really). I have class and work tomorrow, so progress may be slow, but it's mostly downhill from here. Right now I have completed:
  • Both Axles
  • Gearing
  • Drivetrain
  • Chassis
I still need to:
  • Finish Steering setup
  • Mount Winch & wiring/switches
  • Design suspension
  • Add Lights
  • Body work
Picture time!

Gearing reduction and motor

Both Axles

Steering motor mounted to chassis

Drivetrain Mock up

Body, Chassis, Guts (not in that order)

Did I win any skeptics over yet? :lol:
Sweet. What are the drive cups and dogbones from? The only issue I see so far is that those driveshafts may need a slip joint. I did some like that and used square brass tubing for the slip joint. Oh yeah, the driveshafts will also need to be captured at the ends.
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Thanks RRB, that makes it easier. I suppose I'll start updating this thread too then. The drive cups and dogbones are both from the ZZMT front end. The only parts that didn't come from a ZZMT or were handmade are the drivetrain servo, possibly the battery, and I think I'm gonna use xmod springs for scale appearance. What do you mean by slip joint? That it can extend and compress with the suspension? I know I need to make the ends captive too, but for now I'm just hoping by some miracle from God that they will be just the right distance to say in on their own. In other words, I'll deal with that when I cross that road. I find myself wanting to work on the body and lights and painting, etc, but I know if I do I'm going to extend the time of completion and possibly end up saving it for later (NOOOOO!!!!). Anyway, pics for the post:

One of the guys on Scale4x4 asked for more info on my little steering servo.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

No prob. Yeah, slip joint allows it to extend and compress, without it and captured ends there's a really good chance the driveshafts will fall out and/or bind when the suspension cycles. Try it without it, it may work. If not, it's not to hard to make them. They're metal right? You should be able to cut them and braze on some square tubing. Slide a washer on first that way you can glue it to the drive cup to capture them. Anyway that's how I did it, I'm sure there are other ways as well.

I like how the torque is measured in grams on the servo, not ounces. 8-)
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622
leftcoastminis
bitHood

Post by leftcoastminis »

this thing is awesome :)
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Thanks, I know I obviously missed my deadline, but I'm kinda stuck now and not motivated enough. I'm down to mounting suspension on the axles and to the chassis, but am unsure how to do it so that it is removable if I need to change or adjust it. I'm thinking using small screws somehow. Also, I've been struggling between using the plastic interior or just scrapping it. I'd really like to use it, but I don't know how much it will interfere. Hopefully I get a spark of inspiration soon.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs