new guy first question

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
davewithx

new guy first question

Post by davewithx »

I have a few clones and on 1st gen zz. One of my clones is an off road truck. It has good ground clearance and bigger tires. My problem is when I'm on carpet the magnetic steering sux. I want to make a "rack" type steering. Can the boards handle running one of these small motors on that circuit? I know the se's can but I don't have any of those yet.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Re: new guy first question

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

No, unfortunately the coil steering PCBs cannot be converted to a motor. If they could, I'm sure everyone would have done it to one car or another. I personally took apart a car and removed all connections before asking this question on the board, so you're one up on me.

And Welcome to the Hood! :-)
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

There must be a way you could use the electric charge to trigger a switch that would then turn am motor. :???: I'm not sure it would be cost or space effective, but it seems like it shouldn't be that hard to rig. Of course my mastery of electronics is legendary! I may be the only one here whoever had a metal chassis and mounted the board directly to it not thinking of the fact that metal is conductive. :-(
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

sidewinder wrote:There must be a way you could use the electric charge to trigger a switch that would then turn am motor. :???: I'm not sure it would be cost or space effective, but it seems like it shouldn't be that hard to rig. Of course my mastery of electronics is legendary! I may be the only one here whoever had a metal chassis and mounted the board directly to it not thinking of the fact that metal is conductive. :-(
I tried to convert the steering to an H-Bridge, like the drive circuit, not sure where I went wrong, but when I could find generic stunt cars for $5, then a PCB swap seemed to be the easiest, most cost effective route.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
davewithx

Post by davewithx »

crazydave wrote:
sidewinder wrote:There must be a way you could use the electric charge to trigger a switch that would then turn am motor. :???: I'm not sure it would be cost or space effective, but it seems like it shouldn't be that hard to rig. Of course my mastery of electronics is legendary! I may be the only one here whoever had a metal chassis and mounted the board directly to it not thinking of the fact that metal is conductive. :-(
I tried to convert the steering to an H-Bridge, like the drive circuit, not sure where I went wrong, but when I could find generic stunt cars for $5, then a PCB swap seemed to be the easiest, most cost effective route.
I was thinking along those lines with an h-bridge or a fet. The big crawler guy's have small boards that let the big high torque servoes pull power straight from the battery and not from the receiver, only the signal from the receiver.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

There was a mod to bypass the board like that and feed power directly to the motor, maybe the same type of mod could be modified for this. :???:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
davewithx

Post by davewithx »

do you remember where that mod could be found? I would love to get this project off paper and driving.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I was looking for it but I can't remember what it was called. Dave, if you're still reading this thread do you remember?...I'm guessing since you did the electronics on your's you probably paid more attention this this sort of stuff. I'll give searching another try...if I find anything I'll post it up here.
davewithx

Post by davewithx »

I did find these on the interweb. the guy's the use the bit boards for small airplanes have some cool stuff.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... adid=74227" target="_blank
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... adid=94563" target="_blank
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236343" target="_blank
some of the threads are long but I'm trying to read them between changing diapers.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I hate changing diapers...

they are so hard to find in my size.
davewithx

Post by davewithx »

sidewinder wrote:I hate changing diapers...

they are so hard to find in my size.
x2 It's hard to find hairy fat guy size.