New bit, thinking about mods

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
eddy
bitHood

New bit, thinking about mods

Post by eddy »

I went to my local Walgreen's a weeks ago (Friday) and I saw 3 MB CLK-GTR clones and 2 turbo twisters. I came back today and I found 1 MB and 1 turbo twister. To me that is a good sign. Anyway I examined the bit very carefully because the last CLK I bought from there was defective (stopped working after a few runs) and had insanely hard tires that had absolutely no grip at all. I decided to get it and it was pretty good quality. The chassis was very well dressed, clear windows and all. But you don't want a review, don't you! Anyway, as soon as I started racing it I immediately taught of my MR-S idea and decided to put it on hold, for now. I decided to tackle the new and hot Lexus Is-F. I have 3 questions. #1, I would like this car to handle as well as go fast and I wanted to add springs like the ZZ series but I can't find wire thin enough for the job.#2, will a soldering gun work for a ZZ or should I use a soldering iorn (iv'e seen some warnings om some websites with PCB's). I was thinking on making 4 molds. 1 mold wil be the stock Is-F, the other will be the Is-350, the other will be a Wald Intentional Wide body Is-F. I hope to get the casting materials 2 or 3 weeks from now.
If anyone wants a custom Avatar, PM me.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: New bit, thinking about mods

Post by sidewinder »

I haven't tired it yet but I was looking at some mini ball point pens at the dollar store a while back and thinking the springs in those might be just about the right diameter for bit/zip/clone springs...you might want to look in the stationary section and look for tiny pens for kids (these were on a key ring).

I'm not sure on the soldering gun, so I'd better not even try. :oops: But if you mean the type that makes a spark to heat the area--like the instant cool things--I'm guessing that would be bad.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

A majority of the components on bit PCB's use surface mount packaging...you will probably find that a soldering gun is waaaay too large for that kind of work, and also too hot.

A soldering pencil is the way to go and a small one at that :wink:

Radio Shaft sells them and you can even pick up a decent soldering pencil/iron at home improvement stores like Menards or Homo Depot for under ten bucks.

I'd definetly stay away from the cold-heat variety for semi-conductor work like FETS and transistors too. Old school is the way to go.

PF
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

go to your local locksmiths to track down some pin springs - these are the springs that push the pins back into position inside a tumbler, and (trimmed down) are absolutely perfect for bit/zip front suspension.
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
eddy
bitHood

Post by eddy »

i GOT GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS, AND MORE BAD NEWS! The bad news is that I broke on of my bit's motor wires. The good news is that it's fixable. The bad news is that I don't know where it goes. can someone give me a diagram if the PCB of the bit and highlight/circle where I should solder the wire to? It is a MegaToys Charge N go Bit char-G clone. I think the PCB on the Charge n Go is the same as the BCG but I'm not sure. Also, my clay mold of the Is-F body isn't coming out too good (hard to make car). I'm going to try and mold a CLK-GTR out of clay and then modify it to make it look like a Is-F. Wish me luck! Also, I have rendered a few pics to give a general Idea on what it will look like.
If anyone wants a custom Avatar, PM me.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Charge N Go :???: I'll check my stash, I might have one...if I find one I'll get some pics for you...
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand