Swap Meet Score!

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Swap Meet Score!

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Well Yesterday was RC Country Hobby's Bi-Annual swap meet. I actually saw some commercials this year on TV. I ended up going around 9 am with nothing to sell, just looking to see what was there. Last time, I had a lot of things to sell and was there at around 5am. It was much more fun this way. Anyway, I skip ahead to the things I ended up getting.

I got a new (no fuel ran through yet), pre-assembled XRay NT18 with electronics pack and Hudy starter box for $130. I've always wanted one since I got into Nitro because I just don't care for 1/10 scale too much. I like my RC's small. Anyway, I've been working on it all weekend, tweaking the layout and the body, etc. I found out tonight that the Airtronics receiver that was initially installed was FM and all my radios are AM, so tomorrow I'm gonna go see if my S-Maxx has a micro receiver in it.

Also, I scored 3 zipzap bodies, all by choice: 1 Austin Martin Vanquish body, 1 Hummer SUT body, and 1 Mustang 67' fastback body (my dad has a '67 coupe). Each one for a buck a piece.

Lastly (I know this is gonna piss some of you off) I got two Combat Digi-Q Tanks for $23 each. They are pretty cool. My dad was in the military, so he was big on me finding the Panther and the Tiger. Pretty cool stuff overall. Here's the pic:

Let me know what you all think. :-o

Edit: I just checked and the S-Maxx has a regular size receiver, and I don't want to wait to get one off ebay, but I also don't want to give RC Country the money with the jacked up price too (they are assholes to me 8/10 times I go in). Damn.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: Swap Meet Score!

Post by sidewinder »

You could check out our LHS, I don't know about their online service, it's handled by someone I've never met, but their in store service is the best I've seen. Their prices are sometimes great, sometimes a little high...it's sort of hit or miss. You'd still have to wait for the mail but if you want you can check them out here [url]http://www.hobbyforce.com/[/url

I figured since it's one of the good hobby places I'd give them a plug.

Looks like you had a good day. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

Lol, someone here was looking for those Digi-Q combat tanks a while back. Good score.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

ibjamn wrote:Lol, someone here was looking for those Digi-Q combat tanks a while back. Good score.

:thebird:

That was a good score. No swap meets around these parts, which really sucks cause I can trade some sweet shit for some other sweetness... :o

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

I don't know much about nitro (I don't know much about alot) but that XRay looks pretty darn cool!

I can see why you're jazzed about finding an RX for it right-away :-D

Nice group of bit bodies too! :-o

PF
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Thanks. Yeah, nitro seems intimidating at first, but once you get a nitromethane powered RC vehicle, it gets a lot simpler. If you know a little about full size cars, that helps too, it's really just the same principle, but simplified. So I went down to RC Country today just to see [on the extremely off chance] if they had any cheap Micro Receivers. I walk in, one guy asks if he can help me. I say I'm looking for a cheap micro receiver and he says $40 bucks. That's it - no brands, no products to see, no nothing. Clearly it's all about the money to them. I still asked him to see a Traxxas M.R. just to make his fat ass work - $40. I walked out. I'm waiting for a few bids on ebay, but am probably just going to get a Buy It Now receiver for about $17 with shipping. I can wait. God I hate that store, but it's the only one in town and they have a gigantic selection. :mad:
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I'll tell you, I'm starting to understand the hobby store more, and one store pisses me off, because they are money grubbers, but on the other hand at the nearby Hobbytown I'm becoming friends with the manager, and they are good people there, but they are struggling to make rent. While the RC stuff is blowing off the shelves, they make hardly any profit off that stuff, they make their money on the toy stuff on the other side of the store. A lot of us remember that stuff from when we were kids, but since this area is largely Hispanic/immigrants, I guess it's just not part of their culture, and that stuff is not selling at all. So when you go to the hobby shop, bring your kid, let 'em pick out a science set, model rocket, or something. It'll help maintain the balance. :-o

I know this sounds strange coming from me, I've made so many anti-LHS post in the past, but these guys have treated me right so I'm more willing to listen to their side. Also In an effort to try to increase profits, he wants to hook me up with some bodies to paint, and then put them in the front window for sale. He's talking about selling them for $100-$120, and the store taking 10-20%. I say if people are willing to pay that much, then lets go for it, I'd love to get more exposure for my paint jobs, and if I can help the shop stay in business through the summer months, so I know it'll be there next year, then that's just bonus.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

True. I typically don't like going to the local shops. I have one that is literally 2 miles away from me. They have been around since the early Bolink era, and still have some old stuff laying around. I've basically rumaged around the store for the kind of stuff that would be usefull, and have nothing more to look through. There service sucks, because the only guys that knew anything were highschool kids working part time (that only work weekends), and the old owner who apparently has medical problems and doesn't work much anymore. Now, whenever you go in there, the only person that can help you is the owner's dayghter. She can tell you where parts are, but knows nothing about specifics. She is just a book keeper.

The HobbyTown nearest me is okay, nothing special. But if Philip isn't there, the questions I ask are usually answered with "we'll have to ask Philip when he comes back to work". And he is no "expert" in my eyes. He is just the indespensible employee that the store needs, because he is more knowledgable than the others. :roll:

I understand retail (I work in retail) and I'll buy from Hobbytown on occasion. If we only buy from websites, then they will no longer be there when we need parts ASAP.
v137a
bitHood

Post by v137a »

ibjamn wrote: The HobbyTown nearest me is okay, nothing special. But if Philip isn't there, the questions I ask are usually answered with "we'll have to ask Philip when he comes back to work". And he is no "expert" in my eyes.
Is this the Duluth, GA Hobbytown? 'Cause their guy is a Philip, too.
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Good score on the tanks

as for your LHS well we all have shitty ones around, I have 2 in town both don't carry much for smaller rc stuff and both are over priced but when you need something in a pinch it is nice to be able to get a part or two the same day and not have to wait for the mail.
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

v137a wrote:
ibjamn wrote: The HobbyTown nearest me is okay, nothing special. But if Philip isn't there, the questions I ask are usually answered with "we'll have to ask Philip when he comes back to work". And he is no "expert" in my eyes.
Is this the Duluth, GA Hobbytown? 'Cause their guy is a Philip, too.
Yep...... you in the Atl outskirts? ........have I forgotten another conversation? :?

and so you probably know of this stain on the wall...bandbhobby