zip zaps monster - let the modding begin

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

What are you using for a source when you charge? When you charge, are the batteries even getting warm? If not you could probably charge longer. You may have also damaged your batteried when you soldered them.

I charge my dual SE batteries with a 4.5v 800mA wall wart. It's rated at 4.5v, but it puts out 6v. Who knows how many mAs it's really putting out. I made the charger for dual cells, but it's too hot for dual cells.

Anyways, my batteries start to warm after 3-4 minutes of charging, and I get 15-20 minute runtimes in my Project Prostocker that I run with those batteries.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
crusty
bitPlaya'

Post by crusty »

I think I just damaged the batteries because they do get warm but im still getting very short run times after a 5 min charge.
ImageImageImage
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I gather that you have 4 nimh (2 x zzse) batts in there.

What are you charging it with?

Sounds like the batts have had it. But, they may not be dead. Although it sounds like your charging them incorrectly, so I would stop charging them the way you're charging them.

I would recomend a "Piranha" charger. They're cheapo peak flow chargers that work OK for bits. Otherwise, you'll have to make a stand alone charger. I paid $50 for my Piranha charger. Others work better, but they're expensive. I have a few stand alones, but I got tired of making a new stand alone charger everytime I made a new car with a different battery set up, so I got a peak flow charger that could charge all my cars with NiCADs and NIMH batts.

As far as the batts, I would charge and discharge them about 4~6 times and them give them a try again. They may recover, but I doubt they will be as good as they've always been. You never know though until you try it. Make sure you charge them correctly though, cause it sounds like they're on their last leg. They could catch fire pretty easy and melt your car.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
crusty
bitPlaya'

Post by crusty »

I dont think my car is gonna catch on fire cuz I take them off as soon as they get warm.I just made a 500ma charger and I charged for 2 mins and its alittle better.
Ill try discarging them completly then charging them again.

EDIT
I guess they were dead cuz I put in a quad pack and it seems alot faster then the se batts and i fixed the idler gear with credit card.

Ill get a vid if I can get my camera working.
ImageImageImage
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I like these tires on my truck. They get around pretty good. They do slow it down slightly due to the extra mass, but the traction is soooo much better. :-D

I need a fet job!!!

Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

Where did you get those tires?
BOURBON TIME OUT!
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

those totally look like the nobbies that used to come on the 1:10th hornets and grasshoppers and such.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Sdog wrote:Where did you get those tires?
I got them off of a cheap Big Lots quad.
kvik369
bitPlaya'

Post by kvik369 »

great - now I have to go to Big Lots

mo money mo money mo money
K.I.S.S.
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

Stacked fets, thanks to CD:

It has stacked fets, but do you think that's all this little PCB cover hides?

It pulls wheelies from a stop on orange/orange! :eek:
micromatch
bitGangsta'

Post by micromatch »

when i first got my truck, 2 days after they hit the store i could not resist but to hook up a quad cell on it then after about an hour i ended up changing the steering motor along with the motor,gears,tires, and rims. i am thinking IW propo now though.
-micro
North_Shore_Racer

Post by North_Shore_Racer »

what exactly are the nikko motors and wherte do u get em?
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

CaboWabo wrote:those totally look like the nobbies that used to come on the 1:10th hornets and grasshoppers and such.
Hmmmm, maybe it's time to make a yellow van body for my wheelie monster like a mini lunchbox.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

North_Shore_Racer wrote:what exactly are the nikko motors and wherte do u get em?
Nikko makes a micro RC truck that come with either a Jeep or Hummer body. I scored mine at Kaybee toys for $8, but I'm not sure they're still out there.

At any rate, if you already got a Nikko truck laying around, it might be worth it to snag the motor as an upgrade from the stock motor, but otherwise your money would probably be better spent on a the RS motor and gear set.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"