My ZZMT: The Rubi

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

It was a hair spring from a mechanical clock, a rim off a rubber-tire cheap pullback toy, little styrene, embrordry floss (thick thread), and a screw. Spring wasn't strong enough to snatch-strap, but does self retract.

I do have another spring, and probably a rim if I look hard enough; but I was saving those for a Ram or f150 version of Desperado.

For another spring strap idea I haven't gotten around to trying, grab a spring motor out of a pullback toy, cut off all gearing so it's just a spring retainer, and mount your winch drum to that.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Oh ok, I gotcha. Well what I found actually is that one of those little holders that holds your keys on a string and retracts them is just the right size to fit under a ZZ body. It's the ones that company's give away at conventions. Like this:

I just haven't had the time to do it yet, and haven't decided whether I want to risk my Black Bear's integrity for another mod. It's been so reliable that I'd hate to have her in the shop for long. I might start work on another crawler soon and try and get it in there.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Re: My ZZMT: The Rubi

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Well it's been a while since I've updated this, but that doesn't mean I've stopped working on it. Plus, I've posted pictures of her on other topics. I thought I'd update this in case any one is actually following it (or for future generations... :???: ).

Now it's time for the talky stuff.
  • -I was having issues with the steering jamming, so I ditched it for a $5 servo I got at my local shops last swap meet. It has metal gears and a BB motor as bit as a ZZMT motor. I just shaved the top of the steering box flat and glued the servo in its place. Then I glued the steering cup upper holder onto the servo.
    -I lowered the motor and moved it further up front to help with too much weight too far back.
    -I wired in a set of dean plugs on the bottom where the old charging posts were and wired in one on the TX.
    -I tried to make the wiring more efficient and lengthened it so that the flex wouldn't pull on it.
    -Replaced the antenna for guitar string for scale look.
    -I extended the axle length.
An additional note: I removed the Winch because I'm going to try to build a true 'scaler' with a powerscouts body and want to use it there instead.

I still plan to:
  • -clean up the rims
    -add suspension
    -finish roll cage
    -mount Willy's body
    -sip tires more
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase