My ZZMT: The Rubi

General discussions, new info, and all stuff that's how you say, off the hook. Bit, ZZ, SE, MT, SS... as long as it's micro, it's here.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

My ZZMT: The Rubi

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Hey all you pimps out there. This is one of my first posts and my first crawler.
It's very much so a work in progress, but I thought I'd post up what I have now to get some input and advice.

What I have done is

-the articulation mod
-extended the driveshaft (To 2 3/8" to fit a 1:35 scale body)
-trimmed the front suspension

What I will do is

-4th gear it down (via the instructions found here)
-add springs to the body and the top to control flex
-find a way to mount the jeep body to the crawler (excuse my lack of terminology)

What I hope to built/do is

-make a winch (anyone have some detailed instructions?)
-find some tires with more ground clearance

Here are most of the parts I used. Not pictured is the antenna I picked up from RadioShack for the lengthened drive shaft. Ignore the monocular in the upper right.

Here is the beast so far.

Here is the body I hope to mount. It is die cast. Does anyone have some advice on how I can do it? Please?

Also, I have photos of the stock insides if anyone needs them for reference.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Looking reall good...welcome to da hood :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

Looks good. That die cast body is going to be tricky because of the weight. I tried to do the same scale in diecast on an mt and it wasn't worth it to me because of the crappy performance it caused.

I would first suggest trying to find a plastic body. If you are dead set on running the diecast, the way I did it was to sleeve the d/s with brass tubing and bearings and then brazed a frame off of that to mount the body to. I hated the way it drove though. Way too top heavy for me.
The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own...
tlca # 14622
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Or if you really love it you could check out steelwoolghandi's tutorial on resin casting. Its not that hard or expensive and it can be a lot of fun. Not to mention how much weight it save over pot metal. But to each his own, great work, hope we see more of you.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

sidewinder wrote:Or if you really love it you could check out steelwoolghandi's tutorial on resin casting. Its not that hard or expensive and it can be a lot of fun. Not to mention how much weight it save over pot metal. But to each his own, great work, hope we see more of you.
Yeah I was thinking about that. The only reason I wanted to to use the Jeep body is because I have an actual wrangler that I drive. I supose that if I make the mold my self, I could paint it just like the real deal. I think I'm sold.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm glad to see I was able to generate some responses. Do you happen to have any other tips or a location of where I could the bearings? I know my local Ratshack doesn't have the Xmods ones. I have noticed that my wires keep breaking, so I think I'll resolder them all with a single wire each instead of two per.
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

Smoke&Mirrors wrote: Do you happen to have any other tips or a location of where I could the bearings? I know my local Ratshack doesn't have the Xmods ones. I have noticed that my wires keep breaking, so I think I'll resolder them all with a single wire each instead of two per.
I dunno I got mine from Radio Shack.

What do you mean by re-soldering them with a single wire? You talkin' about using single strand wire? Not sure that's a good idea. An easy way to keep the wires from breaking is to super glue them to the board. Just make sure you catch some of the insulation. I usually re-solder mine with old servo wires and use liquid electrical tape over the board to secure the wires.
tlca # 14622
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

UPDATE:

It's been a while, so here is an update on what I've done.

Project Rubi
  • ZipZaps SE Servo Mod
    Removed front suspension
    bigger tires (walmart atv)
    mostly mounted the Jeep Body
    Hydro Steering mod
I think that is all that is new. Here are some pics of what she looks like and I'll have a video together soon.

Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I have a plastic Nikko Rubicon body that's ever so slightly larger than a Zip Zap body. Probably too small for that chassis as its set up, but I'd send it to you if you thought you'd make use of it.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

crazydave wrote:I have a plastic Nikko Rubicon body that's ever so slightly larger than a Zip Zap body. Probably too small for that chassis as its set up, but I'd send it to you if you thought you'd make use of it.
Absolutely, I can always use a jeep body. I've been looking for a zipzaps one (or same size) to put over my rig Black Bear. How much would you like for it? Do you have a pic or two? Thanks!
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

hey for a winch, if you're still looking, check frizzen's posts... I believe he was working on one a while back..
Whack!
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Nasphere wrote:hey for a winch, if you're still looking, check frizzen's posts... I believe he was working on one a while back..
Thanks, I'll have to. I built one for my xmod so I have a good idea of what I need. I've already got my se servo all wired up and a 5th gear mod. I put a switch on each so that I can run the winch by itself, the motor by itself, or both together. I'm definitely going to make a tutorial as best I can with my pictures.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Frizzen is a fuckin' lazy poser! His closest thing to a winch so far is really only a spring-loaded self-retracting pull strap. (Desperado project)
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com./pages/phpF ... 5b1ce45a34

Redrustbucket built atleast one.

Guerd started on one

Supergroup Crawler built one, but many pics bad linked and went away

There could be a few more dirving around pimptown, these were just the ones I could find.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

Yeah, I built two.

One was just an mt green motor under the hood on this one. Didn't work too good but helped with climbs as it kept the front end planted.

Second one I built was with an se servo. Would lift truck into the air with the line doubled. This one was fun!

You can just make out the gearbox in the cab of the 45 in the 2nd pic. The on off switch from the se is perfect for the winch. Just wire it to your motor leads to spool in or out under power and cut a small block off out of plastic to cut power to the drive motor when winching another truck.
tlca # 14622
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Frizzen
I love that idea. It's like a snap strap for the crawlers. I like that it doesn't require wiring, which I need a break from. Where did you get that mechinism and do you happen to have a spare one lying around?

RedRustBucket
It seems like no matter how far out there I go, you've already been there and have some expertise to lend. I did end up building the ZZSE winch and just 5th geared my crawler instead. It's a good slow speed, so as always, thanks for the inspiration.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
redrustbucket
bitGangsta'

Post by redrustbucket »

Smoke&Mirrors wrote:It seems like no matter how far out there I go, you've already been there and have some expertise to lend.
No worries, start molding some sticky tires and you'll be smokin' my ass. The great thing about this site is the mass amount of inspiration. Good luck and happy modding!
tlca # 14622