Laptop Batteries?

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Laptop Batteries?

Post by sidewinder »

Is there any reason you couldn't use a laptop battery for a RC car? I was thinking of going with a 14.8V lipo for the 1/6 nascar when I build it and I searched ebay for "14.8V"...it came back mostly laptop batteries like this:14.8V, 6600mAh, LI-ion...I didn't see a discharge rate though. Has anyone tried this or researched the idea?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-R3000-and-Pa ... 638Q2em124
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
betty.k
bitPimp

Re: Laptop Batteries?

Post by betty.k »

it's not recomended because laptop batteries have a low discharge rate.

discharge rate is listed as a "C" rating, eg: in the case of those 6600mah cells 1C would be 6600 ma (6.6a). so it can safely deliver 6.6a, if you try to pull any more out of it you will damage the cells and they'll probably fail violently.

you want to look for a rating of at least 15C for rc car use, helis and planes can get away with lower ratings.
i used to be cool
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks, I kind of figured there must be a reason I hadn't seen anyone using them...it's a shame though.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Post by vwmicrosizer »

i think there are some 14v drills ou there if not 18v.