Vacuum Desolder on the cheap...

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Vacuum Desolder on the cheap...

Post by PimpFloyd »

I used this the other night and thought I'd share it:

What it does: Connects to an old vacuum for use in desoldering

What it's made from: Radio-Shaft desolder bulb and some tubing
(Solder bulb >: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062742

I cut the end of the desolder bulb off, it gets connected to the vaccum hose piece - if it fits snuggly, your in business, if not, wrap some duct tape around the assembly for a better seal...

I cut the teflon tube from the desoldering bulb in half, one half stays in the bulb and connects to the tubing, the second half (tip) gets plugged into the other end of the tubing - the idea is to extend the tip.

I think you get the picture. It works pretty well on most desoldering and especially useful on large jobs like large motor connections. Just fire up the vaccum and hold the tip in one hand and the iron in the other. It will get plugged from time to time so have something handy to open up the tip like a small drill bit or a piece of wire. Use an old vacuum, the small orifice is hard on the motor. I've never burned up a vac with it, but then again, it doesn't really get used day in and day out. Just once in a while.

Enjoy!

PF
Last edited by PimpFloyd on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: Vacuum Desolder on the cheap...

Post by sidewinder »

Desolder :???: Mine usually just falls off by itself :oops:

Looks like it would be a good thing to try, probably better than just tilting the piece and letting the melted solder run off. That's usually the point when I realize that I haven't paid attention to where my thumb is.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand