the se steering twitch thread

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

the se steering twitch thread

Post by hogjowlz »

ok i know the first two variations of the ses had electronic fixes for the twitch. the new muscle ones/chevelle at least is a little different.

it came twitchy. i opened her up and noticed that the resistors between the wires and the pcb are gone as well as the wires to the pot go to their own terminal and there isnt a jumper between the two so i figured fuck i have to live with the twitch. so after putting the board back on and screwing her down i tested it and the twitch was gone. i put the body on and the twitch comes back. it has to be a physical factor. any ideas engineer dudes?
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I'm no electrical engineer, but if it's only happening when the bodies on, I gotta think there's only 2 possible reasons.
interference, either wires touching or getting crimped - or too many wires crossing eachother.

rubbing, where-ever - which I doubt because I'm sure you would have seen it.

at least those would be my guesses.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

a possibility. i noticed tightening and loosening the two front screws seems to make a difference. on another note sessiz noticed that these new ones turn tighter. i concur!! with a perf3.8 on office carpet, i let her go straight for 10feet and turned hard right and it flipped over!! i was able to reproduce it after a few more tries even.

but ph2t or cyborgzero or dave, what would cause this? hmm

either way i still say get the new ses they are slightly improved and the bodies totally kick ass.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

hogjowlz wrote:but ph2t or cyborgzero or dave, what would cause this? hmm
:lol: screw you! (I don't blame ya - I would've too lol)

but you just about confirmed it for me when you said:
hogjowlz wrote:i noticed tightening and loosening the two front screws seems to make a difference.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

The twitching on mine is pretty minor. I'm still waiting for my kid to pass out for the night so I can play with her a lil more. :-)
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

I am far from positive, but it is my belief that some bodies pinch the front tab area just slightly onto the steering mechanism, causing a bind and screwing up the steering. I think that RS should've put a brace of some type on the top of the front end. I actually had one designed but then I picked up some regular ZZ bodies and have had no problems with them.
sg219 actually returned his SE for this reason(that and all the fuzz he could'nt get out of the front wheels lol)
I also have come up with the ABSOLUTELY EASIEST way to get hard to remove front pins out(fuzz in my SE forced me to Macgyver this).
If anyone is interested, say the word, I'll post it. The only reason I have'nt is cuz I see so many posts about it already, but trust me, mine is good.
Ill also try to scan in a drawing of the SE front brace idea I have, just in case anyone's interested.
Oh! you could also try just removing a bit if material, inside the body around the tab slots to loosen it up a little. Just not too much.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

CaboWabo wrote:
hogjowlz wrote:but ph2t or cyborgzero or dave, what would cause this? hmm
:lol: screw you! (I don't blame ya - I would've too lol)

but you just about confirmed it for me when you said:
hogjowlz wrote:i noticed tightening and loosening the two front screws seems to make a difference.

haha if i wanted to know how to make a convertable or put t-tops id ask ya :lol:

but ya something moving around in there is effecting something. ill investigate when i got some more time.

but even on carpet(tight weave) the new ones have a little more speed. walking pace.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I don't know, but if when you tighten or loosen the screw it causes it to happen, then I'd have to gues Cabo's on to something.

Something else I noticed it my cars jitter more when the steering is slightly off center. The maybe a slight chance that it might be binding up mechanically, and that causeing it, but really, I just don't know, that's odd, and problems like that always drive me crazy :wobble: .
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
cyborgzero
bitHood

Post by cyborgzero »

I upgraded the steering motor to a 2.2 and the jitter went away COMPLETELY, as in NEVER, NOT EVER...

So, mine tracks pretty straight as long as I keep off the gas so the rear end doesn't keep swinging forward lol.

So, with that in mind, it goes to say that the binding is caused by the antibacklash reducer gearbox.. Thats the gears in the steering btw folks, and antibacklash mechanisms tend to have alot of parasitic load on them due to the design..

Rob
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

hmm i think i have a few motorworks motors that should do the trick.

thanks dude.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I tried the Motorworks motor, and it didn't cure the jitter. The steering was super fast though. It snapped from side to side.

Must be something to do with the torque of the 2.2. I'm wondering how a motor from a Thunder Charger would work, as those are pretty torquey, but I'm thinking if a 2.2 worked for CyborgZero, then I probably should stick with that.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

just got the torino and NO STEERING TWITCH!!

also after fiddling with the chevelle i got the twitch to go away somewhat.

as with the chevelle body id say the torino is constructed very nicely including separate plastic bumpers.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

nice solution pimp, sorry I could contribute to this one....

ph2t.