I'm gonna try something...

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

I'm gonna try something...

Post by Son_Gokou »

Tomorrow, I might (my dad told me to use the word MIGHT...well not really, but what the hell) be going to RadioShack to get some magnet wire, as shown in this link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... 278%2D1345

So, I'm a little itchy to wind a low turn, but as everyone knows, low turns pull more current, and that could fry the FETs....But I'm too fucking lazy to get FETs from online.

So, I was thinking of winding double or triple turns...Any advice? Any sciency explanations on how it works...(ph2t? cyborgzero? crazydave? I could use some advice here...)

Ok, I'm done ranting. :lol:
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Wire is like a resistor, just a really low value one. If you put two wires in parallel you are halving the resistance. IF you put three wires in parallel you are changing the resistance to be a third of what one wire would be.

So a double or triple turn won't help you if you don't want to fry the fets.

Since it's stock I would reccomend nothing below the 45 turn mark, single core... A 45 turn double wind motor would have the (approx) resistance of a 23 turn single wind motor.....

This is also the case with wire thickness, the thicker the wire the less resistance. 45 turns of .4mm wire would pull more current than 45 turns of .2mm wires....

ph2t.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I think you might be getting confused with strands. You definately will need way more than 2 or 3 turns, but sometimes you might hear a motor refered to like a 18Triple or 18T, that's 18 winds of triple stranded wire. Multi stranded wire might give you more torque, but less speed. Single stranded wire will give you more upper end speed. In smaller motors you'll more than likely be using single stranded wire, and a lot of really really thin stuff. The thickness of the wire also effects the speed and torque characteristics of the motor.

Less resistance means more speed, because it draws more current, higher resistance means more torque, because it is storing more energy in the coil.

Rather than re winding a motor, a much easier more feasable idea it to unsolder the wire end, pull a couple winds off, and resolder, if it works, consider yourself lucky, if it don't work, realize why you probably don't want to bother winding you're own.

I wouldn't bother pulling more than a few turn off, if you're too lazy to get the FETs, cause if you get carried a away, you will fry something.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

...Oh, ok.

What I thought before this was that energy loops around the poles, going from one terminal around the poles to the next. It keeps circulating around the poles from the power supplied to the commutator, and the less coils, the faster it will circulate around the armature, and with more coils, the slower it will move around the armature... but the more electricity (more wire) there is, and with more electricity, there's more magnetism for the magnets to push, so that creates more torque. And I thought that, with more wire at the same number of loops, then it will even out...

But that was what I thought before I read this. What I infer from the posts here is that more wire (more thickness, paralleled wires) WILL create more torque, but that's because it's drawing more current from the power supply...I think that the less resistance= more speed and current pull, more resistance= more torque and less current pull. So, I think I should stick with really thin wire if I want to keep the stock electronics safe.

Someone on MRCC said that he wound a triple 15 and his Mini-Z didn't fry...So I infered wrongly that a a triple stranded single wind was equal to a single stranded 3 wind. Of course, he also had a stack of the stock FETs and some other FETs...

So I'm inferring from this that wire is like a resistor to current pull and speed, but generates it's own power.... And the less wire there is in series (talking about looping here), then the more current pull and speed caused by less resistance...But paralleling wires means even LESS resistance...so pomme de terre must have really made one sick motor when he talks about winding a triple 15....

Corrections are welcome, as "assume" puts the ass in u and me...
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I'm not sure what you're saying, and honestly, I didn't bother to read it all, but this is what I think you need to understand, is how an electric motor works.

See you know when you take 2 magnets, and they either repel or attract? Well that repeling action is what makes an electric motors armature turn. The armature is an electromagnet. If you take a bare wire and wrap it around a nail in a coil, and hook it to a battery it will become a magnet. This is the principal we're working with. Now the more times you wrap that wire around that nail, the stronger the magnetic field. Now the difference in a motor, is there is a current draw. That is caused by the repeling action of the magnets. The armature is literally trying to escape, the harder it is for it to do that that, the more current that will be drawn. Less resistance means that current will flow more freely.

Does that help?
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

crazydave wrote:I'm not sure what you're saying, and honestly, I didn't bother to read it all, but this is what I think you need to understand, is how an electric motor works.

See you know when you take 2 magnets, and they either repel or attract? Well that repeling action is what makes an electric motors armature turn. The armature is an electromagnet. If you take a bare wire and wrap it around a nail in a coil, and hook it to a battery it will become a magnet. This is the principal we're working with. Now the more times you wrap that wire around that nail, the stronger the magnetic field. Now the difference in a motor, is there is a current draw. That is caused by the repeling action of the magnets. The armature is literally trying to escape, the harder it is for it to do that that, the more current that will be drawn. Less resistance means that current will flow more freely.

Does that help?
Some of it....yup. Thanks bro. :-)

Oh yeah, BTW...got the wire, but 30 Ga, IMO was thick enough (had to be careful not to say "30 ga was thick enough for me"), so I wound 44-45 turns of wire on each pole with that shit...The motor is pretty torquey and fast....with Spinbrush mags, it had nice torque...with stock, weaker mags, there wasn't much of a speed difference.

Then again, it could be because of the FETs, which I smoked a while ago (remember where I wound my own motor, taking off the plastic flaps? That caused a shorter, not a motor)....So I'm thinking of installing that external turbo.

I have to get the supplies first....And my parents are already mad enough at me for blowing a lot of their money away. :-(