Opinions, custom RC board?

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Opinions, custom RC board?

Post by codesuidae »

After being frustrated by the potential of the ZZSE with its propo controls but with so many silly problems (poor steering, low motor duty cycle, 2 channel limit, etc), I started on a project to fix it.

At first I was just going to decode the protocol and do my own receiver using the SE transmitter, but after capturing the data off the wire and working with it a bit I decided it would make more sense to just bypass the transmitter's IC and use its RF output stage and pots with my own micro, which would be paired with a micro doing similar duty on the SE, commandeering its RF receiver. Course soldering onto the traces on the tiny board is fidgity stuff, and while I can do it, its not very robust, and most people wouldn't find it very useful.

So at this point I'm looking at doing an entirely new design, from antenna to servos. So the question becomes, is it worth doing, or has someone else already done it?

The key features would be as follows.

- 2 standard 8 bit digital proportional channels. 126 positions positive, 126 positions negative.

- 1 standard 8ish bit register for remote switches (won't be sure exactly how many output pins will be available until I get the design finished, but there will probably be at least 3 or 4 just plain switches available).

- Board layout with external mosfets in mind, in case some weirdo wants to put in his own little board with diffrent FETs :-)

- 300 to 440Mhz operating frequency. UHF frequency, better range with smaller antennas. Software selectable channels like the SE, up to a dozen or more channels in the range. Possible drawback, interference from over-powered local UHF amature radio stations.

- Operation from single NiMH cell (as low as 0.9v input).

- Open software, if you have the hardware to do the programming, you can modify the standard sourcecode to handle any special functions you need, including more digital propo channels, no digital propo, pre-set control sequences, input from accelerometers or other sensors, etc.

I've started on the design and order parts for my own personal prototype, mostly just to see if I can do it. I'm looking for input on if I should continue polishing it up to a releasable product, or if there just isn't any demand.

Thoughts?
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

lol thats a lot of r&d. so i say do it for fun and if it works, yes people will buy your shit but dont expect to make a bundle.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

wow dude, that would pretty neat to see. yea sounds like a lot of work, but damn - how satisfied would you be when you got done and if all worked out as planned.

good idea thinking of scalability (external mosfets, programming, etc.)
I think price & how stupid friendly it is will dictate how many people will be interested.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

:-D hehe, stanley spadowski, twinkie weiner sandwich :-)
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, Ithink Hog pretty much nailed it. I'm not sure it would be worth it to you in the long run, but I know a lot of of us would love to see that.

Then again, it could turn into something, who knows. I think the biggest factor will be accessibility. Will it be cost effective? Say if it's intended for the SE, people aren't gonna want to pay much more than the cost of the car, I would assume, in most cases. And as you mentioned, ease of installation. You don't want people getting back, "I broke my car, can you fix it?"

At any rate, if aint too much I'd buy one. :-)
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Post by codesuidae »

In light of the new Metl Tech cars, I'm putting this project on hold for now. The Metl Tech boards are pretty much identical to my project plans. You can read some details in their patent application
91LudeSiT
bitHood

Post by 91LudeSiT »

If you could make one to fit and work with the SE chassis I would buy 10!