ZipZap Monster MOSFET Mod (Work in progress......)

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

codesuidae wrote:I also took some video of the MT with the mosfet mod in, I can post links if anyone wants to see.
Video is good. I wanna see video. :-)
ph2t wrote:with the high speed motor and gear set, it will flip on the spot, lol.... it's soo like a 1:64 version of my madforce it's not funny.....
Yes it is. :lol:

That's crazy dude. When I first got mine I was thinking theres more than enough space to cram dual SE batteries in there, but now I'm thinking, if I just get my FETs working right, this thing will be too nutty.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

it's true! we had to put the green motor in it so we could keep it on the ground! :lol:
i used to be cool
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

ph2t wrote: Image
Holy crap this is sickness. Two masters of current giving one of the best how to's ever.... and yet ph2t can't put his wheels on the right way.... :???:
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Post by codesuidae »

ph2t wrote: Have any of you guys noticed you get that high pitched buzzing sound and then the top speed goes to shit?
Yes, although I hadn't had a chance to track to down yet. I was guessing that excessive clearance from the pinion hub to shaft was causing it to wobble as it was unloaded.

Did the graphite treatment take care of it?
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Finks wrote:Two masters of current giving one of the best how to's ever.... and yet ph2t can't put his wheels on the right way.... :???:
Who's to say that's the wrong way? I'd say he's got 'em mounted the "aggressive" way... they'll get more bite in that direction.
richh
bitGangsta'

Post by richh »

ph2t wrote:more madness......

Have any of you guys noticed you get that high pitched buzzing sound and then the top speed goes to shit?

ph2t.
i've seen that with the higher rpm motors. on mine i've cured it with a couple of paper shims on the idler gear. i noticed that it starts to screech when the idler starts drifting away from the chassis (too much slop left to right). the shims just take up some of the slop. you can see them here.

betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i found a lot of noise coming from the front hubs too. i've just been using graphite all over so it won't attract dirt.
i used to be cool
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Post by codesuidae »

betty.k wrote:i found a lot of noise coming from the front hubs too. i've just been using graphite all over so it won't attract dirt.
And speaking of the front hubs, mine have lots of slop, the front wheels wiggle all over, even when the nuts are nice 'n tight. Seems like too much play in the bearings. Anybody have an easy fix for that?

I have no idea if fixing it would make a performance difference, but it would be more elegant :D
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

hmmmm :???: brass eyelets? :eek:
i used to be cool
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Post by codesuidae »

Well, I had a nice post composed listing all the gate and source to drain voltages on my MT, with the motor both loaded and unloaded, then firefox took a dump and lost my post.

Now, since its after 1am, I'm not going to do it all again

The gates were all either 4.92, 4.71 or 0.0 volts. I believe it was Q8 4.71, Q7 4.92, Q6 4.92, Q5 4.71.

The most interesting info is that the pFETs drop up to 0.06v source to drain when the motor is drawing max current (stalled). I don't know how much current is being delivered to the motor under these conditions, so I don't know how much power is being lost there. With the 2.6ish volt battery, and another 0.02ish volts drop at the nFET, perhaps as much as 3% of the power available is being lost in the fets. I could be way off though, I dunno for sure.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Ok, I finally got the FETs working right in my car. Had a sinus headache, couldn't think. I went with ph2t's version, just because I could comprehend it at a glance, and it sure did work.

Aint got no numbers, but it mowed over the pile of Hot Wheel cars pretty good with orange gears in it. I'm happy. 8-)

Thanks a ton, both you guys. I guarantee I never ever would have figured that out on my own.
crazydave's Gallery
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

code is the bloke who served the goods, I just got a room full of monkey's to do the work...........eventually one of 'em figured it out! :smile:

enjoy dave, outside on the grass is soo easy now it's not funny!

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I've been watching this ever since I noticed it. I was going to swap trannies out for like fets at first, but it's a good thing I read this first. Thanks everybody for all their hard work. I'm one of the ones who will definately appreciate this.

PH2T, did you take any voltage readings after you put the li-poly in?
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Oh and I forgot to say, Codesuidae, I tried to get that # for the resistor, but my PCB is just as blurred as yours. I think it is a 19 though.
crazydave's Gallery
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Post by codesuidae »

crazydave wrote:Oh and I forgot to say, Codesuidae, I tried to get that # for the resistor, but my PCB is just as blurred as yours. I think it is a 19 though.
Cool, thanks. I'll take another look at mine. As long as there aren't any other R19's on the board, that'll work.

I'm going to try to put in a circuit to tune down the torque on startup, make it a bit easier to run a fast motor on high traction surfaces without flipping over. That'll give me another chance to take a look at that label.