Four cell (2s2p) AAA lithium Ion setup (XMods Gen1)

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Four cell (2s2p) AAA lithium Ion setup (XMods Gen1)

Post by Murdoch »

This will give you double runtime and power on a Generation 1 xmod using the AAA battery holders than using dummy batteries in the holders.

Tools needed: Dremel, Soldering iron, 18AWG wire, heatshrink tubing, micro plug, "Helping Hands".

optional: voltmeter

Beware: this modification makes a real mess of your workspace.

Difficulty: challenging

unsolder all wires from the AAA holders. This makes it easier to work on them

trim out some plastic in the center, and dremel a bit of the metal so the solder can take hold.

then trim out as much plastic as you can from the inside so the terminals are exposed.

here's where you can use your voltmeter to check for continuity. put the cell in both the upper and lower areas to make sure you have a good connection. the voltmeter reads 4.02V (you can barely see it in the picture)

pre-tin all wires...

then, cut to length

Cut the other end, trim and tin like you did with the other end. This gives you your shunt.

Solder the newly created shunt onto the solder joints

Use the dremel to scratch out the markings inside so you don't get confused and end up shorting out the battery.

Next, solder either the negative or positive lead onto the upper part of the holder, like so.

Select a wire color that lets you know it's an intermediate connection. I chose white for this one. Solder one end of the white wire to the exposed metal on the holder, then solder the wire to the second holder.. so it looks like this.

prepare your micro plug by stripping off a bit of wire and pretinning the leads

Now, solder the negative battery lead to the negative plug lead, and then hestshrink the connections to make sure it doesn't short out. This also serves to relieve any strain that may come about on the connections.

The finished product

Now you have a sleeper AAA battery pack that has almost the same rating as the AA Li-ions.

here's what it looks like when the cells are installed

you'll notice that the cells are facing the same direction.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Great tut man, I never got around to buying those AAA Liths. I haven't touched my Xmod in months lol.