Duratrax Ice Power Supply

Mostly dealing with electronics and pcbs and modifying them, all the things that make electrical-engineers tick and the rest of us cringe in fear.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Duratrax Ice Power Supply

Post by evoraptor »

I've searched and couldn't find anything useful.

What is a good, cheap power supply you would recommend to use for the Ice's power supply? It's most potential would 12v @15amp, but I don't really need to maximize it, so lower would be okay. The lower the price, the better. I don't need to use any more money than I already have.

If that really can't be done within 30-60 dollars, I might have to return the Ice. If that should happen, what is a good charger you would recommend? (I've heard very good things about the Ice, which is the reason I got it, but the lack of AC power cord was a hindsight that I missed. )

Thanks for the input/help.

BTW, this is kind of urgent. If I can't get one cheaply and quickly, then I'll have to return as soon as possible.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

You are going to have to spend a bit more for a good power source.

This is the one I have for my ICE charger and it has been very good to me...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search

I see no point in buying something that does not get the FULL capibilities from the ICE.

If you don't like your ICE, let me know, I'll buy it from you for the right price. I'd love to have a second one!!
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

I'm no Electrical Engineer, so if I've got any of this wrong someone who knows better feel free to corrent...But a "good" PS means a piece of equipment that will supply a constant and continuous amount of amperage at the rated voltage. This is important in getting consistent and reliable results when using your Charger (whether it's the ICE or whatever else).

For me, I've been using my Pyramid PS-15KX for years now. It's a 13.8V@10A PS and its done its job well. The thing is a BRICK though (actually, more like 3 bricks) so it's not a good option for portability. But it was cheap and reliable.

If your priority IS portability though, some people use the AC adapters meant for Laptops. They put out a fairly clean 3A to 10A and you can usually pick one up for cheap (if you don't already have an old one laying around), but you'd have to hack it up a bit to connect to the charger.
sg219 said:
I see no point in buying something that does not get the FULL capibilities from the ICE.
I have to disagree a bit about that. My opinion is you should get something that will cover the most you'd think you ever need. For me, the highest capacity packs I've got are 2400mah and I never charge at a higher rate than 1C so that 10A PS wayyyy more than covers what I'd ever need.

My recommendation is this:
1. Take rating of your highest capacity pack (say if it were 3500mah) and DOUBLE it (so that's 7A)
2. Now shop around for a PS that will supply you with at least 12v@7Amps.

I like my pyramid, I'd imagine they've been able to come out with more compact models than what I have by now...You can google for "pyramid power supply" for reference and go from there.

good luck.
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

You want the best you can get so your charger gets "clean" power... no spikes, dips, or anything else so you always get the best possible charge...

I'm also running an ICE and the same PS that SG recommended and have been VERY pleased...

I even use it for other shit, too... I just repaired my dads' CB a few weeks ago and after I got everything soldered back up I hooked it up to my PS to test it...
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

Most of my packs run around 1500, the most at 1900Mah. So, according to Nam, I went and got a regulated supply which puts out 4amp continuous. That should be good enough for my needs correct? (I got the thing cheaply, it was 30 dollars.) So far it's working.
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

$30 for a 4Amp? Man, that don't sound so cheap to me!

...But it doesn't suck either, so I think you'll do just fine.

If you ever want to "pimp" that ICE out...Check out the backlight upgrade for it:
ICE Backlight Upgrade Kit

And the Temp Sensor is nice to have too:
Temp Sensor

And a sidetip: You can piggy-back other chargers on the banana plugs on the PS as long as the total amp demand is less than what the PS can handle (A friend of mine has a SuperBrain and we clamp BOTH our Chargers onto the PS at the same time, all the time).

Post by evoraptor »

Well, the next one was 10amp at 110 dollars, so it was the next best thing.