AE86

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

OK, I want opinions. This is my first real attempt with custom decals. I already know some don't look straight. This camera is very unforgiving after I zoom in and crop on a 5 mega pixel shot. In reality they look better. I'm thinking that I may have too much decal. I haven't clear coated it yet, so I can still take them off.

The question is, if I should take some off, which ones would go and which ones would stay?

Also, how do you like the grill?

I also know the tires aren't on straight. I'll get better glamour shots when it's all finished.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I'm not digging the decals and the bottom of the driver and passenger doors. They don't look like they fit too well and seem to give the overall look a weird break.
I also probably would've centered the bitPimps decal, but that's probably just my preference. If you like it there, then booya!
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

well this is just me but i'd pull em all off and just go for simplicity.
eg: 86 written in jap characters down one side of the windscreen, bp's license plate. and that's it.

grille looks great :-)
i used to be cool
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

The thing I've found about decals is you really have to plan them around the car and the paint job. I've done my share of slapping them on after the fact and planning them out from the get-go. It's obvious which ones are which.

Sometimes I design the decals and print them out on regular paper, trim them to size and lick the back and stick it on, just to get a good idea of what's working and what's not.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

While we're rearranging your car....

Take the "HACHI-RYOKU" from the roof, and move it to just under the window on the driverside door, centered between side mirror and door handle. Don't copy on passenger side door. (not sure what country you're in, but do that appropriate for your countrys driving preference)

Definately leave the license plate it rocks, possibly try to stretch either "BitPimps" or "Trueno" for a windshield banner. Maybe ditch the rest?

Cool grille, but can it be a little wider? Seems a bit lonely with all that body kit out front.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

The problems IMO with your decals is 2 part, partially what SF mentioned,

#1 - planning what you want and testing especially when using white sheets.
I always test on plain white paper to size it up for the application.
#2 - Using white sheets. I personally use clear sheets, only drawback with
that is for them to show up thoroughly, you have to use them on light colored cars.
Dark colors need decals printed on white paper which limits what you wanna do.
Or stickers ???
Image Image

Also remember..."Practice Makes Perfect". So hang in there, trial & error! :-o

"WhatUp wit dem front tyres Pimp ?
Last edited by DarkTari on Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Ok my 2 cents (not even worth that)! I happen to agree with the rest too much can sometimes be well uh too much. I think the decals under the doors are just out of place. I like the suggestion of the decal stretched and over the window (like Frizzin says the Trueno or Bitpimps). I think the color does not lend itself to decals its dark and the white background on the decals makes them look more like bumper stickers then smooth decals.

I like the front and the grill is sweet but too much wide-open area needs some fog lights or something to break it up. Nice job on the wheels they look real nice! The paint job is right on too great color choice (not for decals) but I like the color on that car!

Thanks for sharing your work man! :-o :-o
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Here's a suggestion, do the clear decals ove the white paper like you're doing, but try inversing the colors, so the letters show through white.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Thanx pimps. All your suggestions really helped. I've known for a while that this one is just missing something, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now I have it. :idea:

I'll post the final product soon.

DT, those are some tires I just happened to have on. They're hard front tires and they seem to work well. I know what you're thinkin though. Kinda funky lookin. Don't worry. The finale product will loose those.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

DT, those are some tires I just happened to have on. They're hard front tires and they seem to work well. I know what you're thinkin though. Kinda funky lookin. Don't worry. The finale product will loose those.
There was never any doubt Pimp :cool:
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Finished.

Link to EOY contest. Scroll down for the 86.

http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... 8&start=30