Old School Skyline Racer

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

That's why it takes me so damn long to floss cars! Consider a process of putty, primer (x2 or 3), paint (x3 or 4), details, decals, clearcoat. Each of those take me a week. Longer if it's a particularly nice car that I'm afraid of fucking up. And then I usually fuck it up in the last stages anyway. :-(
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

5 days!!! I'll snap! :shock:
Aww man, this is gonna suck, I know I'm gonna lose the bumpers. :lol:

Its funny, when reading about automotive and guitar finishes, it was stated over and over that Enamel had a shorter drying time than Laquer, that's why the automotive industry started using it more and more. When doing something like a guitar and I'm laying 15 coats, it does take 2 to 3 months to cure, and by that time it loses its gloss, and needs to be rubbed out. While I've never used Enamel for anything that large, supposedly, after a week when its dry to the touch, its done, no cure time. Laquer on the other hand gets dry to the touch almost instantly. You can level sand between coats after an hour.

I like laquer on bits. Just laying a couple thin coats, its ready to floss in hours, and I'm driving the next day. Even though its not fully cured I think its still way more durable than enamel. So it seems as though Laquer is actually faster to use, and more durable, even though enamel is supposed to be faster and more durable. Also Laquer is supposed to be glossier, and at first it is, but this stuff actually seems even glossier the more it sits. I think the difference is enamel gets glossier without rubbing, but Laquer can be rubbed out to a better gloss, where as Enamel can not be rubbed out. Enamel will actually dull if you rub it out.

There I go rambling about paints again... oh well, I got 4 more days to kill. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

crazydave wrote:5 days!!! I'll snap! :shock:
Aww man, this is gonna suck, I know I'm gonna lose the bumpers. :lol:
That's funny as hell... that's just normal for us. Now you know why we're such slow and frustrated fucks, over here. And, 5 days is rushin' it, ya know... patience is a virtue, er somethin'. Either way, I've been toyin' with nail polish (lacquer) and the time savings is almost stupid... I just gotta figure it out, 'cuz it's way different to lay down.

Nice lookin' Epoch, man... I'd leave it, unless you've already dug back in, that is. :lol: I think that once that thing gets smacked around a little, and goes for a little slide on the roof a time or two, it'll look even better.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Man, waited so long, I forgot to take pics of it done. :lol:

Anyways, here we go.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Damn, nice job CD i love them old skylines!
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

I like the absence of stripes on the roof and trunk. It looks more realistic. They almost have a euro flavor to them.
I stopped using testors anything months ago. They always dried up fast and the lids were a bitch to get off. I found Humbrol paints at my LHS that work better. Thinner than testors and much smoother to apply.
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

I dig it... just the way it is.

-JNY
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

That is a kick ass body style and paint job.
Love the "old school" feel it gives off.
Looks like it could take a lickin and keep on tickin.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.