Optimus Prime grows up and gets a REAL job...

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Optimus Prime grows up and gets a REAL job...

Post by frizzen »

So, "Optimus Prime" already had the factory movie 'mods' done to the Peterbilt, but is that ever enough for a pimp?

-Trucks need power, motor resistor delete.
-Gotta have Dualies, wide rear rims and tires. (sticky on drive, hard on bogey)
-Clearanced rear fenders for duallies. Having wide/narrow looks MUCH more realistic.

Then it sat on top of my monitor forever, until yesterday when I picked up my trailer and started thinking that you never see an Aerothingy on the cab of carhauler semis.

-Modded 5th wheel. Then I just coupled up my carhauler trailer.

Last edited by frizzen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Looks great, good to see someone doing a mod now and again.

I thought about using a trailer I have, how's it pull? can you actually control it or is it just a constant wreck.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

So far it's Ok, but not yet amazing.

Needs more torque for the trailer. I'm not sure if I need motor or gearing changes. I'm running 12:1 and the stock red motor with square endbell. Did we ever figure out which ZZ car motor had most torque? I'd rather not change it to zz-m motor if I can avoid doing so.
Though I will admit it was able to get rolling with the trailer holding a Bit s2000, Bit Lancer, Clone Lancer, ZZ-se Lancer. It was happier with fewer cars though (obviously). But I'm still impressed with that much out of it!

Turning not that great. I'm thinking adding nose ballast will help.

The 5th wheel is too close to the sleeper. The only fixes I think might work would be: move the 5th wheel aft, delete headache rack or sleeper, move kingpin on trailer, or live with it.

Unloaded trailer the kingpin doesn't stay seated as well as I'd like.
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I may have to try this, I have an Optimus Prime sitting right in front of me still in the package. :???: So maybe stretch the frame? But then you'd have to do something about the fake wheels? :???: Nose weight should be easy enough, just a fishing line weight under the hood. :???: Maybe... :???:

Oh well. very cool anyways. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

What kind of trailer do you have? (type, size, where purchased...)

As I understand it (poorly), you'd want the 5th wheel centered over the tandem axles. On this truck, it's over the rear axle. On my other truck, it was over the rear stock, and to make it clear I had to go AFT of the wheelbase.

I don't know where would be a good place to stretch the frame or body. Maybe cutdown or ditch the sleeper?

Now that I started on this, I probably should try to find another one or two of the Prime, driving an RC with trailer is a whole new ballgame. You really notice the 5th wheel/sleeper issue when TRYING to back up. Oh yeah, and the trailer is massively top-heavy with cars on the upper deck.
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I have to find it, I got a drift car hauler (well, it's supposed to be a nascar-like transporter for a drift car) when it was on sale at Dollar General. It was a pretty cool looking thing so I snapped it up thinking I might find a use for it someday. I put it away (somewhere) and now I'm thinking it might just be time to dig it up. It was about 1/64 scale; I guess, it had a matchbox size car with it so it should be close. I think I payed $10 on clearance.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

OK I found it, unfortunately it's a bit bigger than I remembered. But the good news is that I only paid $5 so it was cheaper than I thought.
I do have a SuperSlicks Evo still in the package, it might make a big enough and strong enough base. :???:

frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

That's pretty cool. Looks like width is pretty close. Not really feeling the truck styling. The Nissan fenders are a kinda cool touch, but I'm not feeling it that much. They should have done it either stock, less radical custom, or full on Japanese Vanning-style. Is the truck body diecast or plastic? How is the truck detail?

Kinda big to pretend it's scale for Bit/Zip. You could probably throw a zz-m/130/180 size motor in there, slotcar crowns and a short dual pinion shaft between the axles for dual drive...

I like how the Aerocap is too short to actually help with the aerodynamics at the trailer... Damn ricer truckers.

I did see a Peterbilt pulling a carcarrier on my way to work the other day, and it looked like my proportions were pretty close between these.
-
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

nice lookin OP.

tho i was just laughing like crazy when I saw the 'muscle hauler'. A bodykit on a rig? too funny!
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It's diecast pot metal, but I was thinking if it's geared right that's OK becuase it would help with stability when turning. I was thinking of trying to get it closer to stock, and the slot car axle is a great idea. This might be worth trying, a zip would fit in the trailer nicely. :???:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Two people don't think it sucks!!!

Post by frizzen »

Thanks man. :grin:
-
Might be able to thin the body enough on the inside for some lightening. With the Nissan nose, you could probably grind the front end into a Volvo conventional pretty easily.
http://www.volvo.com/trucks/global/en-g ... tGuide.htm
Maybe VN or VT?
-