Bit char-g scratchbuilt chassis buildup

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
nonickname

Bit char-g scratchbuilt chassis buildup

Post by nonickname »

Hi..I guess I'm sorta new here.

Well, being poor at the painting side of modding, I decided to look into the performance end. This is the from-scratch buildup of my new racing vehicle. The chassis is handmade from 6061 1.1mm aluminium. The gear ratios are the highest (fastest) ones, except it goes from the pinion straight to the axle, rather than through the rocker (or spur?, dunno). The motor is around the equivalent of a 2.6 (I think) and is ripped from a crazy spinny like toy. The batteries are two 150 mah cells wired in series. The motor is permanently attached, but if it burns out it will only take 5 mins with acetone to unstick and replace it. A dip switch will be added. I'm unsure on the steering configuration, I may just cheap-skate and cut the front off a clone to use, but the plans are to use the rack, wheels and wheel pins, and then wind my own copper coils and buy a rare earth magnet. I have a bit and a clone pcb, I'll try both with it and see which works best.

At the current stage of writing, it will actually be smaller than the average bit. If it turns out to stay that way I may have to mould a body :razz: .

Yes, the axle on there at the moment only has 1 wheel. No worries, it can be replaced. I also tested the drivetrain and batteries, and caught a vid of it. The wheels seem to spin much faster than my 3.0 single celled high geared bit, so that's something. If anyone really wants me to, I'll upload the vid..but we'll see. We're also going to mandurah (rellies) for aus day, so I'll buy the magnet and wire there.

Any *constructive* comments welcome, but go easy on the noob please :-?
payaso
bitPimp

Re: Bit char-g scratchbuilt chassis buildup

Post by payaso »

I'm interested in the front end, but it looks like you have a good start going.

How do you plan to charge it? And why not use the front of an SE? Propo would be a nice addition to your ride.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Looks lie a good start, I'll be looking forward to updates.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Just be careful not to short any thing on that metal chassis. I would get the motor off the chassis, or at least put some tape under it.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
nonickname

Post by nonickname »

Thanks for the input. The motor I'm using has an isolated can (tested) and both contacts are on the endbell. I don't have a zz to tear up (more of a bit guy) so it isn't going to be propo. I'm most likely going to charge it through a Deans plug, which means I can use my peak detection rc charger for max output and battery life. Unfortunately I couldn't get a rare earth magnet, but I picked up some copper to wind coils from.