My Supra, what a fuckjob....

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
ph2t
bitPimp

My Supra, what a fuckjob....

Post by ph2t »

It started out well. Chopped the top nice 'n clean, me dremel was singing sweet. Got the masking all nice and put some black primer down to get a deeper red finish.

Lookin' good....

Started puttin' down some coats of red, thin and thin, then a 'lil thick.

Lookin' good....

Masked the bugger again using a layered affect to get a fade in from the bottom sides to the top of the car. Started sprayin' some gunmetal. Peel a layer off, spray some more, peel another layer off, and so on and so on.

Still lookin' good.....

Took a step back to see what I had created after pulling all the masking tape off the layers, quite amazed by what had come out...

Lookin' spanky..... :D

Then I fucked it, didn't listen to myself when puttin' on the clear coat. "Just a little more"....."Just a little more".....

Bugger! Too much..! The clear coat had screwed with the gunmetal and caused it to "sink" into the red coat, screwing with the finish completely..

A lesson to you pimps, when you think you need just a little bit more clear coat, DON'T!!! Let it sit and dry first then clear coat it again later.....

arghhhhh!!!!

Ah well, least it's only an LXX supra shell.

ph2t.
barto_85
bitGangsta'

Post by barto_85 »

you idiot :lol: thats pretty annoying hey? oh well, its the best way to learn.
ssi
bitPlaya'

Post by ssi »

:sad: damn mad that was looking pritty good, i tell u dont feel bad u wont be the only 1 who has done it. :-) i have. lol
Neon Rc Racing
Bitpimps uk
TheEvo
bitGangsta'

Post by TheEvo »

Ohh well.. 2 damn bad.. But u know what? I did the same thing to my Impreza.. It's not screwed anymore cuz i sanded the paint off..
It was looking good though..

BTW, is there a difference between the Tomy Supra and Perfection Supra? I've heard something bout that the perf supra sits so high on the chassis, and that is was ugly as shit and so on.. But since there's a lot of them i thought there might be a difference and that people has the Tomy Supra or even LXX.. Am i right?

/Evo
Do i need a better signature?
brendan123
bitGangsta'

Post by brendan123 »

i have done it 3 times but i done the same as evo sanded it back and painted it again, turned out good at the end, but the front of that supra looks like it would be hard to sand so maby some pinoclean or whateva it is ur take paint off with.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

TheEvo wrote: BTW, is there a difference between the Tomy Supra and Perfection Supra? I've heard something bout that the perf supra sits so high on the chassis, and that is was ugly as shit and so on.. But since there's a lot of them i thought there might be a difference and that people has the Tomy Supra or even LXX.. Am i right?
/Evo
I gotta say that it looks to me that the shell does sit high for the LXX that is....

ph2t.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

ooh bubble reaction. i hate that shit. now i always test paint combos on crap shells
Stoli
bitPimp

Post by Stoli »

it still looks good man. Thats why I don;t use clear coat. I had the same thing happen with my computer case and chrome paint. looked totally awesome then the clear made it go from shiny chrome to dull silver.LOL
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That sucks, but I don't think you you used too much clear coat, I just think you used too much at once.

When using multiple colors I give it about an hour to dry between colors, and I put a fan on it to help it dry. I lay the first few coats of clear really light, and give them about 15 minutes between coats. That should seal the colors below, so when you lay your final clear coat heavier, to level it out, it should only loosen the clear below it, and not the colors.

I know it's too late now, but I hope that helps in the future. :-)

***Edit: I just noticed that you said, DON'T let it sit and dry first, and then clear coat later. That is true, but you do need to let the colors dry before you clear coat, or they may lift, but you do not want to let it dry too much either, because the colors may lift. so DO let it dry for about an hour, BUT DO NOT let it dry for a whole day or more.

BTW, how long did you let it dry for?
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

what ive been doing is waiting 45min-1hour and then i do a light layer of clearcoat and then i wait a few days and ad another and then a ticker coat in like a week. as dave does i highly suggest plastikote candyapple/metalflake.

dave: has that stuff ever gone cloudy on you and then clear overnight? im not sure if its moisture or temperature that does it to me but i crapped the first few times it happened.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

dave, I'm curious to why you say to not let it dry for an entire day?
have you had troubles when doing that?

the reason I ask is I've done both; sprayed color, let it dry for about 2 hour and then hit it with clear - alls good.
sprayed color, let it dry for 2 days and then hit it with clear - alls good.

the only time I've had troubles with clear "lifting", "peeling", "bubbling", etc. is when I've put on too much clear-coat in one spray.
maybe I'm just getting lucky lol
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

i got this yellow anodize duplicolor stuff. it bubbles with other duplicolor but works fine with plastikote. my bad bubble experiences have to do with mixing the wrong kinds of paint.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

CaboWabo wrote:dave, I'm curious to why you say to not let it dry for an entire day?

the reason I ask is I've done both; sprayed color, let it dry for about 2 hour and then hit it with clear - alls good.
sprayed color, let it dry for 2 days and then hit it with clear - alls good.

the only time I've had troubles with clear "lifting", "peeling", "bubbling", etc. is when I've put on too much clear-coat in one spray.
maybe I'm just getting lucky lol

Same here..

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
micromatch
bitGangsta'

Post by micromatch »

when i painted my beetle i forgo tto shake the cleat coart and it bubbled...im never using clear coat agian
is this thing on?
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

hogjowlz wrote:dave: has that stuff ever gone cloudy on you and then clear overnight? im not sure if its moisture or temperature that does it to me but i crapped the first few times it happened.
Never had that problem. Must be moisture, because air bubbles would stay trapped.
CaboWabo wrote:dave, I'm curious to why you say to not let it dry for an entire day?
I say that based entirly on the reccomendations of the paint manufactures. My experience is the longer the better, but I have had a problem painting guitars, where I was laying 9 color coats, and 16 clear, and the surface apparently had some oils on it, and the paint started to lift. So it's just something to avoid, not an absolute.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"